06 Orange Tribal Broncos Bike

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads 06 Orange Tribal Broncos Bike

This topic contains 82 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of spdygak spdygak 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

This is how she looked the week after I picked her up. All washed and shined. The bike came with front and rear stands, his and her GMAX helmets, his and her Joe Rocket jackets and gloves, lowering link (unused) and a disc brake lock. She sat at about 8900 miles. I trailered it home since I hadn’t taken the MSF course yet and it had been years since I rode.

Photobucket

Mods already installed when purchased:
    – DDM HIDs (I have no Idea how to tell the brightness)
    – Integrated taillight
    – Fender eliminator
    – Hot Bodies flush mounted LED signals
    – Yoshimura RS-5 chrome slip on

So as a Denver Broncos fan I had to start adding my blue to the orange….

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So my first applications were removing the CBR Racing decals behind the side marker and adding the flame Broncos decals. Removing the Air Force on the front fender and adding the Bronco Logo. Then putting on the tread paint, which was a little tedious but I love it!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I added blue LED license plate lights and a Broncos cover

Then I added custom Broncos decals to my helmet. A little tricky since I had to cut it along the lines to open the face of the helmet and the visor.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I would have left the AF logo… I’m an AF vet. She looks good.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@dubv Ya my dad was a Marine and then in the AF and he called me when I posted on FB and said “you better get that decal off there before someone calls you on it”- haha

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Next, I wasn’t happy with the Broncos decal on the fender so I changed it.

Got my blue windscreen in but they shipped from China and they taped the wrap too tight and it was warped.

So I reordered and got a perfect double bubble. I learned about the difference in color for anything anodized- not the right blue. But I figured I paid for the windscreen bolts so I might as well use them. I still need to find something else or powdercoat some.

I changed out the grey Progrip tank pad for the blue one. I found another added to the wish list but it’s a Broncos custom and like $75

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I ordered a rear seat cowl and didn’t think to be sure I got the correct orange but it’s not horrible and the tail needs a paint job anyway because the pearl-fire orange is notorious for fading

Got my rideCBR stickers in so I hit up the wife’s Prius and the windscreen

Profile photo of thebearded1
    thebearded1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Looks good bro! Cant wait to see those new graphics on there….

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@thebearded1 I’m getting ready to strip off the stock decals today and start cleaning her up! I’m looking for a paint guy to do the tail and touch up the scratches. If it costs too much I may take a shot at painting myself. I will tarp off my pergola out back and make a paint booth. We’ll see!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So I ordered new grips and they (again) were the wrong color- gotta love ebay. You can kinda see the coloration difference between the two and they are not the dark blue I wanted. Learned my lesson about ordering items that are cheap price but high shipping- it would cost more to ship back than I paid and they don’t refund shipping cost- DOH!

Photobucket

Ordered new grips and here is my How To Install Later I added new bar ends also

I got me some decals for the mirrors

I stripped her down to clean and charge my air filter, change the oil and add LEDs

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Next up were levers

How To install CNC levers

Then I got some blue lens covers. I’m slightly nervous about getting pulled over but they fit in my inside jacket pocket at night

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Next up…

Blue Tribal Graphics, Stomp Grip tank pads and smoked turn signals

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So while I’ve been down and out I decided to put a roof on the patio outback. We were just going to do a pergola (simple top) but then it’s slatted and would let in the rain. So I went with a hip roof. Having never built a roof I started my research. You Tube, reading on builders forums. Construction begins…

After getting all the rafters up (skipping ahead as not to bore everyone with the INVOLVED process of rafter calculations)

we got the OSB boards (thanks to @volcom440) and started shingling

After two months the roof is finally finished and I put up the plastic so I can tear down the bike and not get wet or get flying leaves and sand in my bike.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

While I’ve got it torn down I changed the coolant and got some electrical done. Added my LED frame sliders and new smoked turn signals

Worked on getting my Tribal decals removed so I’m ready to install the Blue Tribal

I added new custom graphics to the front. Not that anyone could really read it in the rear view mirror. It’s more for the novelty

Profile photo of krazygraphics
    krazygraphics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

very cool !

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Looking good man. With the headlights fawk it its just a fix it ticket anyways. Im going to figure out the best way to do mine black.

inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Maybe i should change all my black to blue and have retro rams colors lol :wink:

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

With the roof built it was time to get into the bike. Since I was sure I had gotten bad gas I drained the fuel tank when it originally wouldn’t start. Refilled with new gas and Sea Foam but no luck. It would only run on two cylinders and wouldn’t stay running.

So I drained the tank again in order to remove it since I figured I would need to get the injectors out to get them cleaned.

If you look close you can see the nastiness in the fuel, there are two lines if dirt. It swirls around (I think it’s water) The station was towards the beach so they probably had gunk in their tanks after Hurricane Isaac. Since there was obviously still contaminants in the tank, I decided the best bet was to take apart the tank, remove the fuel pump and put her all back together. I was excited about the fact that maybe I had just not drained it thoroughly enough the first time.

Once back together I tried charging the battery. No dice. The original battery was toast. Surprised it lasted that long really. After several calls and lots of running around… no battery. None at Walmart, Sears, the dealership. Really?! Well O’Rielly’s said they have one at the warehouse and can have it the next day.

Then, since no battery I decided to get to painting the engine covers with high temp Rustoleum

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I installed the new battery and after a couple of sputters (assumed clearing the fuel rail) it fired up and ran like a champ again!! I was soooo happy. Two months of being without my bike during Sept/Oct (best riding weather) and all it took was a couple of hours to remove the tank. Live and learn…again

Now she’s all back together and riding again but I need to get my Tribal graphics on so I go to check up on powder coating and painting since I have to fix the scratches from when it went over this summer.

The paint shop was initially quoted $200 but then came back with a quote of $400 just to paint the tail and seat cowl since the paint is so expensive. It would be about $250 to powder coat the swingarm and the pegs. My budget is not allowing that at this time so I am opting for Plast Dip. I will be doing a Blaze Orange with Gold Metalizer and Glossifier to get a look similar to the stock Pearlfire. My order should be here Friday so I am going to strip her down again and get ready to dip the fairings, install a USB port for my iPhone and get ready for my Spy alarm coming in shortly (thanks again @admin ). I will order the new Navy Blue dip also to do the swingarm and my stands. I will be practicing on my helmet. Best thing is, if I screw it up or don’t like it…. peel it off. All total it will cost less than $200 to do the entire bike.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@spdygak where are you putting the USB? I’m planning to add a 12v plug with a built in USB when I have mine stripped down.

Those engine covers look bad ass!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Much better huh?!
    This is what I have @dubv :

Got it on eBay for like 6 bucks. Sealed and waterproof case. Two wires positive and ground. Need a way to seal the USB connection itself. I will put it in the front along the frame under the tank cover. Not sure yet if I will cut a hole and attach it or just leave the connection loose. First time I had it installed it didn’t work so I’m thinking it was because of the battery issues.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

And my Plasti Dip has arrived!!

Time to go after my helmet. Should have pics in a bit

inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Holy shit man haha. I need to get a can of that glossifier to go over my black thats on the subframe so the gloss tank cover streamlimes with the gloss black tail.

inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Jason Owens:

How much does it draw off the battery? Do you think an inline fuse is needed. I was thinking of putting one in the tail to charge the ego hd if im on a longer ride.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Not sure of the draw, says 3amps. I fuse everything just to be safe. The glossifier is cool, not high gloss like a clear coat but anything that is matte plasti dip would certainly benefit from it. I’ll have pics tomorrow. So far just first few coats and I gotta work at 7am- haha

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Here is last nights progress.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After a few coats

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

here is tonight’s progress with the Gold Metalizer. Next step is Glossifier.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@spdygak how does the color compare to the Pearl Orange? Pictures never do that color justice.

On a side note… while I was searching Craigslist I found a guy who wants to trade the orange fairings for silver. Because he doesn’t like the color. Really WTF is wrong with that guy?

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I am amazed at the look so far. I will post pics of both the bike and the finished helmet tomorrow. Trade away the orange?! Never!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@inkslingerxx Here is the helmet with the bike. I didn’t get as good coverage as I wanted but I didn’t want to waste too much since it is temporary. It’s cool though.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@spdygak that is pretty damn close. The real test well be a very sunny day when that gold flake shows up the best.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Ya, it’s cloudy to day. Maybe tomorrow. But I have a flat rear. Dammit! Workin on the tailpiece and seat cowl right now

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.