06 Orange Tribal Broncos Bike

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads 06 Orange Tribal Broncos Bike

This topic contains 82 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of spdygak spdygak 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 61 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bobby
    bobby
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Jason,it looks great. Good job bro. Not a fan of the team(GO COWBOYS) but looks amazing.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So on to the next phase. Finished pulling the last of the blue tribal off. Peeled a lot of little pieces of dip so I prepped it for a new layer. I’m also in the process of dipping the swingarm so I removed it and dipped the dogbone and linkage black.

photo null_zps0a921e82.jpg

photo null_zpsb5f8ebd0.jpg

photo null_zps2a92bfcd.jpg

The swingarm will be a custom blue. I’m planning on doing the rear rim Blaze Orange and the front in the same blue. The next step will be redoing the tribal or at least some kind of design in blue dip. Then no peeling!

Got the spring dipped Blaze Orange

photo null_zps9f8d80e5.jpg

photo null_zps13ceb594.jpg

I did the bottom of the side fairings black to match the lowers and not show as much road grime.

photo null_zps63407084.jpg

Profile photo of yanahmean
    yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@spdygak that looks badass man.. what kond of paint did u use?. And how hard is it to get the swingarm off

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I got my new 520 chain and sprockets (how to coming up) stock gearing. Driven black steel sprockets and blue sprocket nuts. It was all good timing for the swingarm dip project.

photo null_zpsfa8b315c.jpg

photo null_zpsf4a335c2.jpg

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It’s all PlastiDip @yanahmean Have you looked at my thread?? :-P

The swingarm is actually pretty easy. I will have a how to pretty soon. Once the tire is off and the chain is broken, it’s literally two bolts to loosen and the axle comes out.

yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I guess if I read first I would lnow plasti dip.. I want to dip my swing arm as long as it wont flake or peel off in a short time.. ill look forward to the swingarm how to..maybe ill do that when its time for a new chain.. I dont want to destroy tje one I got

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

lookin good!!! showed your pics to my wife who is also a huge bronco fan and she really likes it! now she wants me to do up her bike that way…

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

exactly. I made 30,000 on my original DID chain. I’ve been waiting, trying to decide if I should powder coat or PlastiDip. I can’t afford PC right now. Dip doesn’t flake off unless you rub it loose or peel it off.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Just got my swing arm back from the shop. Had to replace the bearings after getting it powder coated.

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Very nice work Jason!

Just because I’m curious, would a suitable solution for the decal issue be to simply apply the decals to the base colors, and then apply the “glossifier” on top, much like OEM decals are added, and then clear-coating applied, with traditional paint? I don’t know much about PlastiDip, so I’m not certain if this is just “not an option”, with that product.

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@jnsracing that’s
    Exactly what I did. Glossifier over the decals. The glossifier is very thin and didn’t coat well but besides that the heat made the decals curl so they pulled right through the glossifier coating. My next option is to dip the tribal using stencils (made by my buddy at the decal shop) or go with an entirely new blue scheme. Custom baby!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@cbr-f2 thanks! Glad to hear you got a Broncos fan in the house. Who’s your team? Dip is an easy way to hanger up custom colors but it does take a bit of babying. I will be waxing the dip good to help keep the scratches down. We have been using liquid turtle wax. I will need to see if there are other options.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

? Did or have you had a chance to ride with the core s/s brake lines? I’m curious how well they’re workin out for you, functionality wise. I’ve been lookin at them online and its crazy how many color configs they offer…

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@spdygak said:
    @jnsracing that’s
    Exactly what I did. Glossifier over the decals. The glossifier is very thin and didn’t coat well but besides that the heat made the decals curl so they pulled right through the glossifier coating. My next option is to dip the tribal using stencils (made by my buddy at the decal shop) or go with an entirely new blue scheme. Custom baby!

No kidding?!? Well then Plasti-Dip really doesn’t play well with decals, that sucks, cuz the orange you ended up with looks really good, and it stinks that the stuff is a somewhat limiting factor in your project.
    I mean, don’t get me wrong, I know you’ll work it out – there’s almost always a workaround :mrgreen: – I’m just saying that it’s too bad there needs to be a workaround! :-|

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I will definitely work it out! I just hate being down for any length of time. Especially right now… SOOOO nice out there!

@cbr-f2 I am very happy with the brake lines. Zero issues and quick install. The only thing I would have done different is black fittings because the anodized blue is too light blue. I still need to take the time to do the How-To

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Good to know on the fittings color… I think I will hit them up with ALL black, but that’s for my thread… Lookin forward to seeing more on yours!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So in the ever changing world of my Broncos Bike….

I got the swingarm PlastiDipped. Took a bit to get the dark blue I wanted. First blue was too light.

photo null_zpsabc63994.jpg

photo null_zps8ae548b9.jpg

Much better! I used the rear stand hung over a 2×4 across two ladders and hung the swinarm from the spool. Worked pretty well for a painting rack.

photo null_zpsc9584f11.jpg

Then I assembled the rear shock and the dog bone (I used saran wrap to try to protect the dip) and carefully placed the swingarm back on the bike. It’s a little tricky around the midpipe but if you twist it at the correct angle it slides right in. This was where I was most paranoid about rubbing off the fresh PlastiDip. I put on the chain guide and the chain guard.

photo null_zpscc34f7a0.jpg

photo null_zps44247f47.jpg

yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Looks good @spdygak how long till she is back on the road

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I went ahead and did the pegs and the shift linkage knowing the dip would rub right off but I wanted some good pics without the aluminum haha

photo null_zps5446b912.jpg

photo null_zpsae143932.jpg

Got the wheel installed and the chain on (how to’s upcoming)

photo null_zps2d1f9015.jpg

I finally got around to installing my Spy 5000m autostart/alarm that I won here on rideCBR thanks@admin !

photo null_zpsfec96fc4.jpg

Now it was time for more PlastiDip

photo null_zpsf126b6a8.jpg

photo null_zps9b328d6e.jpg

I needed to touch up the mess from my decals that peeled. I really should have peeled and started over. It did not work out so well the way I did it so I am unhappy with myself for being in a hurry. It will do for now but it needs a complete redo. The thing that amazed me the most was how much the original dip faded. The tank is resprayed and the front cowl is original.

photo null_zps3a4e689d.jpg

You can really tell when I remove the mirror.

photo null_zps728a5afa.jpg

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I buttoned her all up then remembered to installed my orange swingarm spools. Love the orange against the blue!

photo null_zpsdecfeb38.jpg

photo null_zps9c568752.jpg

photo null_zps5eddee94.jpg

photo null_zps032dd5bb.jpg

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@yanahmean I am back on it. I just haven’t got out there much this weekend. Too damn busy! I did find a problem with my Spy 5000. When I was merging onto the highway the engine cut off. Like -oil light and FI light coming on and the bike lurching- turned off, but it comes right back on and it only happens when I wind it up. It happens intermittently and I have to look at my wiring to figure out if I have loose connection or what.

yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I got you the bike looks really good btw

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So I have completely neglected my build thread and have not done any of my “how to’s” – chain, brake lines, Spy Alarm. I will attempt to update and finalize this build thread while preparing for the evolution to a project bike after my wreck.

If you’ve been around this summer you know about my trip, but here it the link to the most epic trip ever!

Epic Cross Country Adventure

Here the mods basically end. The only other thing to mention really is tires. This bike started at 8900 miles with a set of Pilot Powers. I ran those for my second run and then switched to the 2CT for the next two sets. I changed to the Battleax BT-023 on this last tire change. I only put about 2k on these so I can’t say about the durability although they are supposed to last longer for commuting and they are grippy in the corners. Now that being said I am going back to Pilot Powers, probably the 3s for the next go round. I was not as comfortable on the BattelAx. Just an after thought really.

Bittersweet to say good bye to my first. She was a fun ride and did me right for almost 30,000 miles in the last nearly 3 years. It was just as much sentimental value as it was the opportunity to own a project bike whether for stunting or track, I was happy to be able to buy her back. I will attach a link to the new thread as she is no longer the Broncos bike and it is likely I will let the wifey determine a paint scheme for her. Thanks all for your interest and I look forward to more fun and learning… (first up in the new thread will be stripping her down for valve clearances since she sits at nearly 40,000 miles

Totaled Broncos Bike

photo 6F1252D7-24DB-438F-BFBD-1FDC8ADD1B31_zpsqce5pluf.jpg

Viewing 23 posts - 61 through 83 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.