'08 600RR

This topic contains 63 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jnsracing jnsracing 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’d like to give a little background to start off this build thread. In December of 2011, I tested for the Indiana State Police. Afterwards, I drove to a fairly close dealership. I merely wanted a hooded sweatshirt. Interestingly enough, they are the oldest Honda dealership in the United States. I didn’t find a sweatshirt. As I was leaving, I asked if they had used bikes. Their showroom floor space is pretty small. The salesman remarked there was about four acres behind the shop. On the way to a few used bikes, we passed this orange one. I let him know I was interested. It had been set back to wait for someone. I wasn’t interested in what they had and we made another stop at this orange one. I left, having given them my number should it become free. A few days later I get a voicemail. I wait a day to return the call to not show how eager I was. I first saw this scheme in ’07 and it became a must have. I love classic Pontiac GTO’s and this is reminiscent of their tiger campaign. Three days before Christmas, I end up bringing her home.

Now, I just have to find my other pictures scattered through out two years of everything else. :(

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That’s a good start. Love to see the Sold on the mirror! I’ll always be Team Orange at heart. You always remember your first :mrgreen:
    Looking forward to more!

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Great looking bike and good story.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Looks nice! 8)
    Just out of curiosity, how many miles were on it, and what kind of a deal did you get?

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

Profile photo of fishfryer
    fishfryer
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Good looking bike, congrats. On a side note, my cousin just bought a 64 GTO ( non original 400 in it), but he used to have an original orange Judge.

Seems like the snow is messing with your riding plans, after the big thaw, post up some pics, it has been 15 years since I’ve been to Indiana.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Also @94f2-08rr , what part of Indiana are in? I’m going to be racing in the Greencastle/Cloverdale area, about a half hour outside of Indy, in mid-April.

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Alright, sorry guys. Typically, the start of the New Year entails me working every other day for four hours a day. I worked my half day on Friday, went back in at 3p.m., and got back home at 3a.m. Saturday. Today was more of the same. Went in at 5a.m., and finished up around 1:30p.m. It has been that type of schedule every three days or so; for it seems since before December.

@spdygak, Team Orange!… maybe I should start/suggest a Team Purple for the ol’ F2???

@sdm1, thank you. I lucked out in buying the bike that winter. We had a limited winter in 2012. Our temperatures were in the 60-70s by February and continued on into March with 80s. I think I rode as many miles in 2012 as I totaled in the three years before.

@jnsracing, I’d have to look to make sure, but I think there were under 6,000 miles and listed for $6,500. Is that out at Putnam Park? One of the guys I ride with raced out there a few years ago. He was being passed, the guy lost control and his bike slid into him. He has since sold his stuff. I am over in the east central part of the state.

@fishfryer, thanks. The GTO’s are one of my favorite cars! Do you want pictures of the snow or thaw? :socool: Lol. My riding buddies are finally keen on taking actual road trips on our bikes, instead of riding to Indianapolis.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The dealership that I like doing business with has a sale a few times a year. I wasn’t planning to buy much, if anything. I wanted to browse and ask a few questions. Well, my browsing and question asking resulted in me walking out with goodies at about half the cost.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

^ ** I forgot to mention the smoke windscreen is a Puig.

As you can see, the back end needed some attention. When I bought the bike, they included a Targa FE. So, I installed it.

It installed easy enough and I liked the looks for the time being. Once I got some seat time with it installed, the design is horrible. The bolts that attached the turn signals to the frame were too small. The heads and washers would become loose from not being able to tighten them. There were a few instances were one turn signal would just hang from the wire and/or the brake/taillight would be facing towards the road. I had difficulty finding other bolts due to the small diameter of the holes. Look close and you will see a slip-on also. I bought a Leo Vince for half the cost. I liked the way it sounded over stock… until I removed the decibel killer. That, I absolute loved!

Well guys, I need to call it a night. Looks like I am in store for a wintry mix of a mess tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be able to get back on here and share a little more of my build.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes, Putnam Park it is… sorry to hear about your friend getting crashed out, but even sorrier to hear that he ended up packing it in. :cry: Was he racing there, with CCS or MCRA, or just doing a track day?

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@jnsracing – I think he was racing, although I am not sure with which organization. He tore his rotator cuff and had to have surgery.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The OEM turn signal stalks had to go.

I went with a set of Hotbodies flush mounts.

When the bike was on, the stock stalks acted like a marker light. Once I switched to the flush mounts, I lost that function. I am a little disappointed in that. But, I cleaned up the sides of the bike. I realize now that using these flush mounts has decreased my visibility towards oncoming traffic. I am now looking for a means to fix this: see my “HID, angel/demon eyes and Audi style turn signal” thread.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@94F2-08RR said:
    @jnsracing – I think he was racing, although I am not sure with which organization. He tore his rotator cuff and had to have surgery.

Ouch! That is no bueno. :-|

Flush mounts look good, by the way, but that does suck about losing some visibility.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

After a few close calls with tip overs in six months, I was ready to return the bike to stock height. I like knowing how to do things and I didn’t want to mess with having someone else doing the work. I fashioned a lift, and with the help of a few buddies; an original link was back in place. There is a night and day difference in appearance I think. With the bike lowered, one person made the remark I looked like an elephant riding an ant.

Here is the result.

It looks much better and the ride is more comfortable.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It definitely looks better with this stance. 8) I am definitely not a fan of lowered bikes… but it’s just personal preference.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@jnsracing – back to his shoulder surgery and racing. For some unknown reason, he didn’t do any physical therapy and his mobility was somewhat affected.

I am not a fan of the look either. I noticed it when it sat outside of the dealer. I even asked to make sure that I was seeing correctly. If not for just piece of mind, it may be my favorite “change” to the looks.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The shoulder is a very complicated area, and injuries there are sketchy – just look at how the MotoGP riders with shoulder injuries over the last couple of seasons have faired, and that’s with the best possible treatment money can buy!! To NOT take advantage of physical therapy on a shoulder injury is a very bad decision for sure, but, I’m sure he probably knows that NOW. :-?

Anyway, the bike looks great, and I’m curious what you’ve got planned – do you have a grand scheme, or are you just going to take it as you go?

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thank you for the compliment.

It is a little of both. I know there are things that I would like to do, but those same things aren’t a must do for me. I am also a tad OCD in nature. I’ve considered for some time changing the mid-fairings to black. I’ve seen a few on here that look really nice. But, if it doesn’t match the factory lower black exactly, including the gloss, I won’t do it. Same with the other little gray pieces. It looks great painted black, but if it doesn’t blend right in with where they are attached, it will drive me nuts. There is course my quest to change my headlights. Maybe the biggest ambition I had was to change the wheels. I thought of doing a black chrome. After talking with a salesperson at my dealership, he suggested I try something different. He let me know that it is not always guaranteed what the finished product will be. He has seen them black, but then also where it looks like a root beer color. He pointed me in the direction of having them anodized and showed me a few samples. Both gray and black would look nice. On the other hand, it is more money to spend and time to take cleaning the bike; rather than riding. There are other odds and ends that I may look into. I doubt I change a whole lot. I like my modifications to be tasteful, and well thought out so as to look as close to factory as possible.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So at this point, it sounds like you’re just trying to enhance the appearance a little, basically, not trying to either “bling” it out, or make a race/track bike out of it.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes sir. To make it “mine”, and for people to question why it wasn’t like that off the showroom floor.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well, it looks good so far! Keep it up. I think making it your own is so important. Not for everyone else but for you first.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I definitely like how it sits back at stock height… Good call!

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Not that it matters, but these modifications were not all completed at once. I have tried to post them in the correct order that I installed them. I just wanted to clear that up before the following pictures are loaded with the same surroundings as the newer additions. While it was apart, I had to take a few quick pictures to show what was added last year.

Thanks @spdygak and @cbr-f2.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So after the annoying hassle of the included FE, I was fed up. I looked everywhere for what I wanted. I wanted an integrated taillight that fit inside the rear tail. I had my heart set on the cool looking sequential taillights. I don’t see many where I am from or where I ride. Well, I looked high and low, near and far. And you guessed it; I had no luck. I don’t remember how I came across the site, but I am glad I did. I bought the IT from CBRheaven with a smoked lens to match the flush mounts. Installation was easy enough. I removed the tail section, measured the best I could, and then used a utility knife to cut the plastic away. I measured a few times and had to keep trimming back. Unfortunately, I trimmed too far back and now there is a gap of ~1/2″. Not only did I get the light, it came with a nice fender eliminator. The 3-LED plate light is incredibly bright. There have been numerous occasions where I thought a vehicle was behind me.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I got tired of going with my group, and having them try and pick up girls. That isn’t my style. I had two of them ask what I would do if the three of us were out, and three girls came up; wanting a ride. They didn’t like my reply of the third girl would have to wait. The solution was easy. Buy the seat cowl. What better excuse than I have no seat, you cannot ride is there?

Here it is. From a distance, it looks good…

But up close, the seams drive me nuts. I have tried everything I can think of to fix them. I am not doing the one thing that works. What gets me is this is a genuine Honda part.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

After a close call with sand, an interstate on ramp of a 315 degree loop, a 4ft tall concrete wall and staying between said wall and the yellow line; I thought best to have a set of frame sliders. I went ahead and got the Shogun kit that included the swing arm spools, no cut frame sliders and bar ends. It is very important to add I had trouble with the fitment on the right (brake) side of the swing arm. There is a slight lip that requires a spacer off the spool. When I discovered this, I tried returning them. I was unable too. A message was left with Shogun. Upon their return phone call, they knew immediately what my problem was without an explanation from me. They sent replacements and stated the shop I ordered from should have gave the option. Just a heads up to any fellow riders.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

And now for some gratuitous nudity!

And until I can snap a few pictures at night, the LED’s that were installed are hidden by the constant light in this garage. I did have another addition. It surprised me on how easy it was.

OEM air filter

K&N air filter

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Not much has went on in the last week. I have been waiting on a few parts to come in. And yesterday afternoon, I received one of them!

I removed the old Puig windscreen sticker and I think it looks a lot better. I am not sure what I was thinking when I stuck it there.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Nice and effective! :wink:

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks! I really, really like the sticker. I cannot wait to get out and ride, so that I can show it off… I am really excited about it. :socool:

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.