'08 600RR

This topic contains 63 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jnsracing jnsracing 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Finally! I had problems with the first relay working correctly. I contacted TST Industries and was sent a new one.

Along with the troubles of the relay, the brake modulator wiring was a headache. Nothing I tried worked and Customer Support wasn’t much help. I was told it may be necessary to connect multiple wires to the modulator. Today, I figured the secret.

Here is the wiring scheme:

Tail light —-> modulator
    black: black
    green: white w/ red stripe
    red: red
    yellow: N/A (turn signals)

I had to use brown wire to reach from the OEM plug to the modulator.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well, :WTF: , I took my bike out today and discovered the modulator IS NOT wired correctly. With the bike running, the tail light flashes as if the brake(s) are applied. Looks like it’ll be back to the maze tomorrow. :anyone:

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What is the modulator for? Does it make the brake light flash quickly? and how does it say to wire it? It would seem that whatever wire is supposed to get power when the brake is pressed is getting constant power if it’s flashing all the time.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The modulator is to flash the brake light. I have two options when the brakes are applied: the light flashes four times and then is steady; or the light flashes five times, is steady for a few seconds and then repeats for as longs as the brakes are applied.

I’ll have to look at the instructions tomorrow to get what it says exactly. Basically, ground to ground, red wire from the unit to power wire, and red/white or white/red striped wire from unit to brake light wire. That is the trouble I have been having. Either the brake light is always on, and the running light is off; or the brake light will not activate, but the running light works.

Saturday was the first day I had attempted to finish this install in about two weeks. My mind may just need another step back and a better work environment. I hope to have time on Wednesday-Friday.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Just a little update

Went for a ride tonight to capture a picture of my orange lights against the blue and black of a sunset. I was late in getting ready so I missed the photo-opp. I like night riding, so I ventured out. It was a cool night; temperature of 50F. I stopped just to look at my lights. While I like the placement; the area that I initially intended to light, really needs the attention now… bummer.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

*ugh. What have I gotten myself into? My new helmet came in, as did a part of my headlight plan.

Good thing I am fluent in Italian…

The language of Love. Oh yeah, that’s right; I’M NOT!

And it begins. Maybe repeats. Or never stopped in the first place.

On a good note, the rest of my headlight plans came in the mail today. So, with the best of luck; I’ll be finished with the modifications by month’s end… :poundinghead: :drunk:

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Always exciting when the packages arrive. Very nice. Good luck!

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks @spdygak. Now, I have somewhat of a deadline. At the end of the month, a huge benefit ride is taking place. I have known about this ride since February, as it happens towards the end of May every year. I finally checked tonight and it takes place May 31 and June 1. This ride benefits Riley Hospital for Children. Part of the ride includes taking a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Also, the riders parade in front of the children… I’ll probably have dust and an eye allergy attack at that moment.

I would like to have all of this finished by then. If not, I’ll ride as is.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Since it rained so stinking much this past week, we worked for a few hours today. It was voluntary. We started at noon and were finished before 4. Between the gym this morning and work, I started into the bike again. I feel like I made some progress. After we finished work, I went back and worked on it a little more.

Finally able to get all of the nuts off. I put a few back on, to hold the headers in place once the slip on was removed.

I was rather impatient this morning and wanted to get as much done as possible. As a result, I created a problem for myself. The cable on the top, I removed this afternoon. The one on the bottom was this morning. I’ll be honest. I didn’t know what I was doing and wasn’t close enough. I managed to push the metal tip back behind the valve. I am having a hard time lining up the end, so that it can be removed. It just hit me that needle nose pliers wouldn’t be able to grasp the end, but a pair of tweezers may. I’ll take a pair with me tomorrow.

Since progress on the full exhaust was at a stand still, I decided to start on the Power Commander. I routed the wire just like it suggests in the directions. In order to keep as much trunk space available as possible, I may end up moving the module to a different location.

I had to essentially remove the tank and run the wires. This is along the left (clutch) side of the tank.

This is the first time I have ever looked under either bike’s tanks. It is intimidating. I have no idea as of now where the lower injectors are. While I wait to sort that out, I went ahead and connected the two that I “knew”. I had to first remove the small bolt (approx. center of picture) to gain access to the fuel position sensor, if memory serves me correctly.

Another picture for a better reference.

The top portion of the clip above the middle finger is OEM and attaches to the bottom portion from the module. The top portion above the index finger is from the module, which attaches to the other half of the OEM plug.

That’s all I have for tonight… doesn’t seem like I accomplished much in the three hours I spent. :(

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

:gocrazy:

That is all!

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Looks like you got some goodies in! I’m assuming that is a stainless system, right? Is the can stainless or carbon fiber?

Anyway, anxious to see it all buttoned up.

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@jnsrcacing – Why the hard questions? :oops: For what I paid, I doubt the headers and collector pipe are titanium. I am pretty sure they are stainless. As far as the can goes, I think it is stainless as well. It does have a flat, black finish to it; as opposed to the carbon fiber pattern.

I am anxious as well. I successfully connected the PC5 to the lower injectors, with some trouble and hang ups. It would’ve been easier had I removed the fuel tank, but I didn’t want the extra trouble of releasing the pressure. I can stumble my way through things. Dealing with pressurized fuel isn’t something I want to jump blindly in to. With a sense of optimism, I think I can finish everything by the weekend. A little set back with the headlights though. I am going to have someone do it for me and it slipped his mind the Indy 500 is this weekend. If I am off on Monday, we will work on it then.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I forgot to show the PC5 connected to an injector… And to be honest, as expected, it is cramped in there. The picture doesn’t give much of an idea. This is from the left (clutch) side. As you move from left (clutch) to right (brake) the annoyance factor increases, with “#3” being the biggest pain, I found.

She can breath now!

It is somewhat of a start. The directions that I emailed to my phone did not work. I’ll have to try it again.

Ran into another little problem. Three of the studs were removed when I tried removing the nuts. Not a big deal. I sprayed a little Liquid Wrench on the them. The first two worked just fine. The last posed the problem. I screwed it in, and the nut still wouldn’t come off. I ended up having to reinstall the OEM headers so that the nut had something to press against and after a handful of tightening/loosening sessions; the nut started to back off. While I was under the bike, I noticed this… is this normal? :?: I think of white as evidence to scorching.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@94F2-08RR said:
    I forgot to show the PC5 connected to an injector…

And you ALSO forgot to show us the new muffler!! Let’s see it lets see it let’s see it!! :bigsmile:

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sorry @jnsracing. I didn’t mean for it to sound like I had a new muffler. What I newly purchased is the headers and collector to make my older slip-on into a full system… while it is disconnected, I hope to give it a wash. So, it may be like new :-o

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I took a crack at it… I started with the right (brake) side. It was easy enough. I just started putting pieces together the best I could.

The spring install was simple; using the supplied tool. This is for the left (clutch) side.

I was having a lot of trouble figuring out the best way to install. I thought I would go ahead and put everything together.

A comparison of the OEM and new.

All installed…

and WOW!

I made it through considering the hurdles; lack of experience, and no directions. I shouldn’t be surprised I have left over parts… :wow:

The spring picture is an “extra.” The entire slip-on was removed, but I reused the muffler. In doing so, I reused the spring the connected the muffler to the slip-on pipe. This modification has an interesting twist.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I found out yesterday that Leo Vince went under. On Wednesday, I sent an email and received one back later that day. I replied late Wednesday night. Having not heard back by Saturday, I called the Honda dealership. I told him the good news I had it installed, but the bad news was that I had “extra” parts. The only directions I could find were in Italian. He replied he had some good and bad news; the bad being the aforementioned. There is one company in the States that handles supplying product demand. They were in the dark about the closure. I asked if it was the state side business that closed, or the one headquartered in Italy. It is the latter… I am guessing that is why I hadn’t received another email. I’m interested in seeing what the future holds. In a quick search, I found little concerning this. There was a story, however, of a similar nature in France.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@94F2-08RR said:
    Sorry @jnsracing. I didn’t mean for it to sound like I had a new muffler. What I newly purchased is the headers and collector to make my older slip-on into a full system…

Yeah, I wondered about that… I couldn’t seem to remember if you were running an OEM or aftermarket can, when I saw the bike while in Indiana.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Some good news. I did receive an email concerning English directions today. I haven’t opened as of yet. I have a big benefit ride this weekend that I have wanted to do for years, and don’t want to tear the exhaust apart beforehand.

Even better news. I spent most of Monday helping/watching my lights finally come together. With one mishap. I rode the hour to the guys house. We got to removing the fairings and headlights. The headlights came apart easily, the OEM bulbs and reflectors were simple to remove as well. The three bolts that are used to adjust the beam direction were loosened. This pushes the reflectors out. The wires to the bulbs had to be cut. We cut them just outside of the rubber grommet, on the outside of the headlight assembly. The projectors included a metal plate for mounting. There are two small metal brackets that the loosened bolts thread through. These are reused; attaching to the plates. I didn’t want to slow things down with my picture taking, so I didn’t get any of the install.

A little teaser…

The red button will be used for my orange accent lights. The other two control the angel/demon eyes.

In my rush, I forgot to throw my amber LED strips into my bag. So part of my plan was left out. But, on the bright side, I think I’ll be able to take everything back apart with out a hitch and install them myself. When I get around to this, I think I will paint the metal plates black… I think this would be an awesome place for some sort of a sticker.

I am pretty happy with the final results. I will adjust the projectors a little so that oncoming traffic isn’t completely blinded. The low beam is essentially a high beam as it has no shutter to block light output. Once I flick the switch on the handlebar, the high beam is activated. I should have plenty of light.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@94f2-08rr so did you go with the BKMOTO light kit? I’ve been looking into them… a little pricey, but SWEET!

I think they will be my big upgrade/mod this winter. I really like the green demon eyes with the orange bike.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@dubv – Thanks. I went to Motorcycles on Meridian last night in Indianapolis. While it isn’t Sturgis or Daytona, there are still a bunch of bikes. Cruisers, sport bikes, a few cafĂ© racers, bobbers, custom choppers, motard, dual purpose, scooters, and trikes. There were show bikes parked behind a velvet rope also. I was down there for ~6hrs and did not see one bike with demon eyes, let alone green. I do not come across demon eyes very often here. Most only do the halos. Green looks awesome with orange!

I did not go with BKMoto. I had a tough decision to make. The product I could get from BKMoto was almost everything I wanted. I wanted angel/demon eyes in orange and green respectively, and HID’s with projectors. I also wanted 5,000K lights. I see so many 6,000K and up. I want to be seen and see. I don’t want to be seen for vanity purposes… call me crazy. The only hurdle was the high/low function. The last requirement I wanted was to be able switch from low and high beams. It is a pet peeve when bikes have both lights on constantly. I like the OEM appearance. And, I think having the option to switch between the two makes for a better looking bike. Anyway, I went back and forth with two options; either BKMoto or XDCycle. In going with XDCycle, I was able to get everything I wanted except for the 5,000K. Instead, I had to go with the 6,000K. According to their website, I could maintain stock function of my high/low switch. When I called BKMoto, I was told both lights would be constantly on.

I had to go with what would irritate me the least. Not to mention, the price that XDCycle offered was considerably less compared to BKMoto.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

She’s looking great! Nice updates. Love the headers they look perfect.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks @admin.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Right on. I’ve been going back and forth with the demon eye color… still not sure.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’ve had this box for about a month and haven’t made time to install. Once I got it home, I compared it to my seat cowl. Before I placed my order, I called to make sure the paint would match. I was assured by Hotbodies that factory paint was used and it would match. Side by side, they were close. The HB hugger had just a little less pearl/flake. I figure with it being that far away from other pieces, it would be hard to tell the difference.

So, I was/am a little disappointed. For the money I shelled out and the reputation of Hotbodies, I assumed the fit would be perfect. The bolts holes are a little different. Each hole has what I would call a “terraced taper.” I didn’t think to get a picture to better describe what I mean. Any way, I went ahead and mocked up how the new hugger would fit. It doesn’t look bad. I think it looks pretty good as it is now. Once I drill out the holes a little and trim along the bottom, I am not sure how it will fit over my tire. Especially when I have new rubber under the thing.

Now that I look at the last picture, I am not sure if I like the orange on the black swing arm.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

More than a little late in an update, but I haven’t changed much.

Ohhhh, what could it be?

I ordered rim tape and the tool to apply from tapeworks.

The green was said to be a good match for the ’09 CBR. I liked the fact that it was green to match the demon eyes and that it matched the flake of my paint. I also liked it not being reflective.

As usual, I wait until the last minute. The rim tape was applied two days before the MotoGP race was held. Just a few days before that, I had the insides of my headlights painted a flat black and LED strips installed for my turn signals. I couldn’t get a good picture of the insides, but you get the idea.

So here she was during and after the rush up to the weekend.

This was the little group I rode into down town with the first night. I am proud and excited to report that of all the bikes I came across both nights, mine was the only orange ’08 that I saw.

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Looking good man!

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@theredrocket – thank you.

jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The green does look interesting with the orange… I’d like to see a closer side shot, with both wheels showing, and less sunlight, to really see the change.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Boy, @jnsracing, you aren’t asking for much :). I’ll try and get your picture for you tonight.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.