08 Orange RR Build

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads 08 Orange RR Build

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of coltonharris13 coltonharris13 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coltonharris13
    coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

So I already have the majority of my mods done on my bike, but I wanted to make a build thread to show everywhere what all I have done to my bike over the past 3 years. I only have recent pictures, but they will suffice. The first week I had my bike I ripped all of the warning labels and reflectors off. I also took off the front signals and ugly mudflap/tailight/rear signals. Got some smoked flushmounts and a CBRHeaven Integrated Taillight. With the new tailight I had to relocate my plate, and also needed a plate light. Tripage hooked me up a LED’s in my tire hugger to take care of this. Summer of 2011, I got rid of my stock exhaust and threw on a Yoshimura RS5 exhaust. I also have a LED Kit that I have installed, but I rarely use. I use it more for visibility purposes when riding at night. Heres some pics of my first mods!
    Front flushmount signals:

Integrated Tailight w/ Yoshimura exhaust:

My plate light LED Hugger:

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

This past Winter, I did a lot of work to my bike. Here in PA, any chance of riding in the Winter is slim with snow on the roads 90% of the time. So I got to work. Most of you guys with Orange bikes would probably agree, the silver sucks. I had enough and decided to paint all of the silver on my bike. I took off my Mid fairings and sanded them down with a fine grit sandpaper. I didn’t want to pay a couple hundred bucks to have it done professionally so I did it myself. I used a Duplicolor Low Gloss Engine Enamel. Hit them with a 2 or 3 light coats and 1 or 2 heavier coats. Let them dry for a day then added 2 coats of clearcoat to protect them from chipping due to them being the most vulnerable to things kicking up and getting hit. Also used the clearcoat to give it sort of a somewhat glossy look to match my lower fairings. Heres how it turned out.

Looks a little weird in the picture, but it turned out really well, and Im glad I did it myself rather than paying someone to do it. You can also see I got an aftermarket bolt kit in flat black to match the blacked out parts I painted. Next I had to paint the subframe part that is visible. Once again I used the same low gloss paint.

Also painted the gas cap flat black and added a carbon fiber sticker cover to it. I need to find a darker one to match my Progrip tank pad, but for now it’ll do.

After I blacked those parts out, next in order were to get my footpegs and passenger pegs black. I didnt want to paint them because I knew they would chip so I spent the extra money and got them powdercoated. Also, in the rear pegs I got 6 LED’s in each that are wired to my turn signals. The powdercoated black pegs matched my subframe perfectly.

You can also see in the pictures above I painted my rear brake reservoir a flat black. I left a little strip that you cant see in the picture clear so I could still check the level. Did the same with the front reservoir.
    I also got rid of my stock headlights. I do a lot of night riding/commuting and the stock lights are not bright at all. I got a set of DDM 35 watt 8000k HID’s. They got the tint of blue I like (cant tell in the pictures) but they are bright as hell. I can see the reflections off of street signs in the daytime. I also did a little LED mod in the headlights. I put a red LED strip in the headlights that are wired up to a switch. See the pictures below.

They look a lot nicer when its dark. Ill try to snap a pick of all the lighting at night. I have all of my lighting on a separate switch.

My first switch (closest) is for my low beam HID. I put it on a switch since they draw more power. I leave them off until I start the bike up and then I flip the switch, and the low beam comes on. The next switch is for my LED kit. The third switch is for my red LED’s in my headlights and the last switch is for my plate light. I located all my switches here so they would be hidden and would keep curious people from being nosey. Also looks a lot cleaner with switches not sticking out.
    My most recent mod was shorty levers. I got them off of eBay from the 2 wheels. They also have a site. For 35 bucks you cannot beat these levers. They look good and perform well. My only complaint/suggestion would to get all black and no color. The orange adjusters have faded a lot. I contacted them and they are supposeably sending me new adjusters. But they are still well worth the price.

Thats the majority of my mods. I know I forgot a few mods I have done such a frame caps and stuff like that. Ill update this later and as I add more. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I’ve never been one for painting all sorts of stuff on my bike … I love how they come out the factory and so I tend to keep them that way but I have to say your’s looks really sweet, orange and black always goes together and you making the extra bits black has really set off the whole bike.

The whole bike looks professionally done, as if it was bought that way and that is what I like…

I think it looks great :)

Jules

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I wish it came from the factory with the the silver pieces black. At least some of them anyways. Thank you though, I appreciate it. Took a lot of time over the Winter. The painting is really easy to do. The majority of it was prep work and just taking your time.
    We dont get the cool color schemes like you ;)

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

looks super good dude! I need to update my build thread pretty bad!!! lol

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That bike looks sweet! Nice job! Thanks for posting pics we love to admire

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Thanks guys!

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I like the exhaust too and I also think the fuel cap looks better as it is than if it were full black, I think it stands out nice and shows up the screws better as it is :)

Jules

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Yeah I just wish the fuel cap sticker matched my tank pad. I just dont wanna pay a pile of money for one to match when I can find a cheap one that does the same. Im in the hunt for a carbon fiber exhaust to match the blacked out pieces better but for now I wont be adding much. Its nice out and I just wanna ride it for a while!

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Cleaned my chain and sprocket today and removed all that gunk that was building up. Looks so much nicer/cleaner. Bought a six pack of toothbrushes at the dollar store for a buck and scrubbed away with some Simple Green. Impossible to remove EVERYTHING, but I feel like I got the majority of it. Im cleaning it up now then Ill probably take some new pictures of it for you guys.

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Got a few small mods coming this week. Ill update with pictures as I go.
    Today, I picked up some Duplicolor Low Gloss Engine Enamel Paint and sprayed underneath my tail. I had a head wrap type of stuff that came with my exhaust, and the color of it was bothering me, especially when I black out my exhaust. So today I sprayed it black. Also gonna paint the pipe part of the exhaust first, just to see how it turns out, before I spray the actual can. I also cleaned up all the wiring I had going on from over the Winter. Ill post some pics tomorrow.

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I love the look, but the muffler concerns me just a bit. The pic makes it look as if the can blocks the tail light…..Does it?

Other wise…… Its a Sexy Beast!!!!

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

It does look that way. But no it doesn’t. It’s bright enough that you can still see it. During the day it’s not as visible as at night but it’s still visible. I also have the signals in my passenger pegs which are extremely bright.

Thanks though

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Finally painted my exhaust! Painted it with Duplicolor Low Gloss Engine Enamel. Thats what I used on the rest of the painted pieces of my bike, so this will match good. I dont have the bike entirely put together yet as Im waiting on a part from @tripage this week ;)
    Back to the exhaust. Sanded it down with like a 300 grit sandpaper. Just enough so the paint would stick. Then sprayed it with the paint a total of 11 coats. 5 on the upward side and 6 on the side pointing down. I taped off the carbon fiber tip and the Yoshimura symbols on the side. They might need touched up but they are fine now.

Heres some pics
    This is right after paint. Not installed yet

Picture of the pipe, installed. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Ill post some more pics probably tomorrow. I havent put the bracket back on yet, as its still drying. I thought it turned out pretty good for a DIY project. What do you guys think?

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Finally got my bike all put back together. Ill take some pictures after I wash it and post them up. Exhaust looks so much better on the bike now. Added a little strip of LED’s in my intake that I had laying around. Ill post a pic of them later too.
    But for now, heres what Im been checking the mail everyday for! Some awesome work by @tripage Check out the video below.
    http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w377/coltonharris13/?action=view&current=aa2740cb.mp4
    Id someone can show me how to enbed it into the post, Ill do it, but I dont know how hah

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Looks awesome! Post a pic when you get the plastics back on and she all cleaned up.

Profile photo of hoosier1104
    hoosier1104
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Looks good. How bright are the LED’s in your pegs, 10k cfm?

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Should have gone with the all carbon fiber :D

coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Sorry guys, havent been on much
    @hoosier1104 I dont know the exact brightness. They are from Tripage. You could ask him!
    @qteter Haha for some reason Im not into the carbon fiber thing. Maybe some smaller things. I did consider a triple tree cover and gauge cover.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.