2001 Honda CBR929rr Build Mod Winter Project

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads 2001 Honda CBR929rr Build Mod Winter Project

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 64 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kgprice kgprice 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

A small update with some pictures…I received all of my bolts from Probolt-usa.com and am extremely please with the packaging and the quality. I was able to get a half an hour of free time and put a couple bolts on to see how they look and to show you guys. Thanks.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Profile photo of 01cbr600f4i
    01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Those look really nice! They’ve got a lot to pick from.

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@kgprice looking great so far! There is so much I want to do to my bike, just not enough disposable income right now :-( 2 month vacation has me feeling like I need to stack my savings back up. Cant wait to see more of your progress!

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@01cbr600f4i and @theredrocket thanks guys!! Pro-bolts has a ton to choose from – any color for most all bikes and most parts. I went with all race spec bolts as they are stronger and have a hex head, but most of my high stress areas i have titanium bolts, yes they were more expensive but provide the necessary strength. Rocket, Its so much fun and you learn alot about your bike as your building it. Once you start you get addicted and you cant stop until its done!! I love it. Hey you only live once (hate that yolo crap) and when you 80 years old or dead your going to regret not spending that money ;) Thanks all and updates will come faster now that riding season is coming fast haha.

– Headlight is going on tonight as well as sprocket bolts

Pictures will be posted later

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Last night, instead of changing the headlight out…more importantly changed the front rotors and brakes to galfer wave rotors and kevlar ceramic pads. Oh when someone says the rotors are offset, on the 929rr they mean the inner spokes should not line up. The “wave” part seems to line up almost exactly which is very rare. Feel free to ask me to explain better or show a picture. Also added titanium bolts for the front and rear axles as well as sprocket bolts and new chain adjusters. Carbon triple tree covers and gauge cluster covers were added as well as the bar ends. Pictures are as followed. Waiting on the new bolts from pro bolt because found out the hard way that the gas tank is not a 929rr but a 954 therefore need to get the larger diameter bolts from Pro-bolt. (that is why there are silver bolts on the gas cap right now haha) But its coming along well :machinegun: :bow: :bashing:

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I love the polished frame on that bike lol :bow:

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I dont haha I am not a chrome person at all but it makes it look decent ;) @01cbr600f4i

Update of build:
    -Installed the new kevlar clutch kit from Barnetts – went smoothly and was easy to install with proper mechanical knowledge but not expert mechanical knowledge. Very smooth and stiff, can already feel the difference just by squeezing the lever and releasing it.
    – Pro bolt racing spec blue engine bolts were installed and give it a sharp look, as well as tightly secure the cases onto the bike.
    -Headlight was mounted and tested as seen in the video. However the wiring was disconnected until the fairings come and everything else in on the bike due to mounting purposes of the ignitors, ballasts, and wiring. The housing itself was left on bike.
    – Driven Evo-Spec Honda 520 Superlight Steel Chain Kit with EST Tech was installed. – It was easy to install and durable. The blue color (even though it does not match exactly with the bolts and levers) matches almost exactly and love it.
    ….More to come stay tuned…comments and suggestions are always welcomed. Thank you

PS: Pictures on my phone are way more clear than on the forum…..well some of them..but then again I am not a professional photographer hahah. That will come once the bike is done

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Just a quick video of it running smoother and the headlight on.

I do not know if you can watch it since I have it private, but let me know. Not pictured fully is my best friend, whose garage I have been using to do the rebuilt/mod with has been a great help as he has great knowledge of bikes and without his help, garage, and tools I would have been either in a parking lot doing the mods or sent the bike to a shop to get done.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Are you getting new fairings? This is going to be a sick looking bike, guessing the fairings are going to be blue too?

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Nope the fairings are going to be pearl white to match the watsen turn signals ;) she is going to be an angel @smalls1000

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@kgprice oh that is really going to look nice. That blue with definetly pop against the white. Nice color choices sir

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That will look really good! White bikes are sweet. Your build is coming along very nice.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thank you very much @smalls1000 @theredrocket more pictures and updates will be posted soon

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

You should paint your brake calipers while your at it. I think the gold looks like it needs to go. Just my opinion.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@theredrocket I thought of that, however money was not in the budget for that and that would require me to remove the front wheel and the pads and the lines from the capliper then find a place that will powder coat it which i also wanted to do to the wheels (which might happen when these tires need replaced) but yeah thank you for your honest opinion red

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I ran into the same snag and ended up painting instead of powder coat. I do think the slight bit of gold in there is a nice touch though. The gold colored rotors may have had more of an impact on that contrast though.

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Dont get me wrong, your bike is gonna be sick when put back together. Just thought blue calipers to match would look sweet.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thank you, however the blue calipers would be too much….if i did powder coat them it would have been black ;)

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’m such a sucker for blue or red bits.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@admin my girlfriend doesn’t care for blue but loves the white pearl and riding on the back of it. Anyways I love blue and couldn’t pass up the carbon, blue and white scheme. Found out the wiring was done half ass by the previous owner while my friend and I were wiring in the sweet new turn signals, so we ripped out all the old wiring that lead to the oem and just tapped right in, directly to the oem wiring. This was done by us using the correct gauge wires, soldering, heat shrinking the wires that came with the Watsen’s to the oem wiring as seen in the pictures. Also pictured are the pearl white fairings on their way, as well as the carbon fiber frame covers also on their way.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@kgprice I had that same problem with the previous owner on my f4i. The headlight bulbs were swapped sides so that twisted up the wires for the headlights which also made the wires too short to reach their appropriate turn signal. So instead of taking a moment to realize that’s not right he crimped on extra wire so they could reach the turn signals. Some people should not work on anything mechanical.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@smalls1000 I hate when stuff is not done right or half ass, if you dont know how to do it, thats understandable but, at least take it to someone that does. Gilles Tooling replacement parts are on their way, the taillight oem parts are on their way, fairings are on their way, carbon fiber frame covers are on their way….updates to come soon

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@kgprice is this the last bit of stuff and your bike will be ready for you to ride it as is? Or are you going to still leave it decommissioned for more parts?

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

This should be it unless I see something I wanT to add. I’m getting itchy to ride and spring is here can’t wait any longer

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Some pictures I forgot to add to the build. After awhile my buddy was able to fit the rear cowl on to perfection and mounted the front hugger. Also installed the taillight as well as the Watsen rear turn signals. Oil and filter was changed, hopefully within this upcoming week the bike will be done and on the road again. Oh Headlight is fully wired also

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

After a long hours of finding parts, waiting for them to arrive, and finding time to work on the bike….(now time to save again haha)……she is finally complete. This is a picture heavy ending to a long winter. My buddy did the bulk majority of the work and I couldn’t have done it without him!! He is a badass when it comes to working on bikes. Also want to thank my lovely soon to be fiance’ for putting up with me at times as well as buying some parts. Enjoy the pictures and let me know what you guys think.

PS: I have many stock/oem parts/aftermarket parts for sale so please message me if you need anything, if I have it I will gladly sell it to you. Thanks everyone and enjoy the pictures

Also those are my buddy’s two bikes

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of dan5291
    dan5291
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

She’s beautiful, you (and your buddy) did an excellent job with this build, I’m very impressed!!

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thanks but you have to give it to my friend who did a hell of a job. His knowledge helped greatly as well as him working on it when I couldn’t.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Awesome build, bike looks great! Safe riding.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thanks man and same to you

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.