929rr Headlight issue!!!

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions 929rr Headlight issue!!!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kgprice kgprice 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

So I ran into a weird problem the other day… Started up my bike with a new battery in it and let it run for about 10 mins checking all the headlight connections after a long winter. The day time running light came on and was working fine, went and hit the high beams, they came on fine. Then I went back to my running light (center light on 929), however it did not come back on….so I shut the bike off and restarted it, the running light worked fine. Thus I switched to high beams and back, running light did not come back on….can not see what the issue is. Any ideas or suggestions would help? Here is my headlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVG9pPLW_90

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That’s a sick setup! How much did it run you?

On to the problem…. Did it ever work as it should? On the stock setup, the headlamp stays on with the high beams. That setup kills the headlight. That leads me to think your problem lies in a relay or whatever is killing the center light with the high beams not switching back until you kill all power to the system, thus reseting it. Your problem is in the aftermarket stuff or how its wired.

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I think it’s something in the wiring as well. When I did mine (it’s 954 not 929 but I assume the lights are similar), just tapping the switch hard did things like make it flicker or go on/off without flipping the switch even though I never changed anything on the switch when replacing the lights, so I took the switch out and reassembled it and it worked again. Then later, all the lights went out even though I knew for a fact the headlights were fine but like 74demon said when the highbeam light goes out for some funky reason it also kills the headlights. I replaced the highbeam light and the headlights started working again. I know that’s not the same as your situation but just saying it does funky things. Recheck wiring, you’ll probably come across something. Lights give me a headache because it’s not just that it will or won’t work, you can set it up and it’ll work different ways each time you wire it up even though there’s only 3 combination of wires to work with.

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

OK, this set up all works off of 2 switches…. The HI/LO switch for toggling between the two, and the ignition switch witch has total control over the unit as a whole. There will have to be at least one relay in the set up to allow it to toggle between the two settings. The switches are in good working order…. The relay(s) seem to be the culprit. I am guessing that the unit is a high quality job that is basicly plug and play. Plug the original 3 harnesses into the unit and one of the high beams is also used to power a normally closed relay. So when the Hi beams are off the relay closes(turns on) the circuit for the low beam, allowing it to be on… When you turn on the hi beams they energize a mini electromagnet in the relay that opens (turns off) that circuit( the low beam). Some mechanical relays are prone to sticking in one state or another for a couple reasons. One is contact pitting. The contacts arc (spark) on contact This can cause them to sort of… weld them self very lightly in that position, They can also get dry, rusty, or just fail for any number of a dozen reasons.

Short answer… find the relay….replace it.They usually aren’t very expensive. That will be the easiest most painless fix. Some relays are “servicable” meaning you can take it apart, clean it, replace contacts, luricate, what ever. For some thing this size though…. I doubt it.

It goes with out saying that you should only be riding during day light hours for a while as you test the new or repaired relay for proper function . I do believe this is the reason Honda designed the original set up so that the low beam is always on….. A fail safe, Since toggling off all lighting at midnight and 60 MPH is not exactly a pleasant suprise….

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thank you… anyone have a manual diagram of where the relays are at? I think for the 929rr they are under the seat??

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

If I remember correctly, they are in the front behind the cluster. Easily accessible if you remove the windscreen. I will double check my manual to be sure.

That set up probably has an additional one somewhere. I would start there….

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Just looked in my manual. The headlamp relay is in the front. Its the left one (clutch lever side). The other on is for turn signals.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Ok I will take a look.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.