94 Cbr900RR build HAVING TROUBLE!!!!

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads 94 Cbr900RR build HAVING TROUBLE!!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of derrick derrick 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of orangecbr900
    orangecbr900
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Having problems with the motor and im not sure where to start?!?!

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@orangecbr900 – I had a 93 CBR900RR and had several issues here and there. With out more details i say start with this: is it a fuel related or electrical? these old schoolers are known to sit around for a while and then get pulled from the dead back onto the road.When they sit the carbs get sticky and small jet pathways get glogged and affect idle and throttle responce. Never hurts to break em down , clean and rebuild em, not to hard if your used to working on bikes.
    I had to rebuild mine and its always recomended to do a sync afterwards.(cost was $80 for the new gaskets for 4 carbs)

Another issue common to these bikes is the charging system, the rectifier and the stator tend to go bad in time. Bike batt wont seem to hold a charge no matter what . Note that if thats what is going on , its a real good thing to replace the battery,stator and the rectifier. Some people like to fit rectifiers from other makers like the GSXR, or the R1, they were trying to get away from the cheap Honda one that over heats , Im more of a purist so i got the new Honda one, its redesigned with thick cooling fins(heat sinks) no modification needed.. Check out the wires harness running to the stator, if it shows signs of melting at the plug , its a good indication your rectifier failed , this also can lead to the stator overheating and the result causes the epoxy coating to get brittle and break off into your oil , not cool. meanwhile all of this put a hurtin on your battery. I had to replace all three components. Rectifier $89 – Stator/gasket$95 – battery $45.

Keep in mind that if this is whats going on , the charging sytem will not be providing enough juice to fire off the coils correctly making you think everything is whack. I almost replaced all my coils until i did a check and found the charge system wasnt keeping up and the battery cant run the bike all by itself for too long before it will start to spudder.

These are basic issues with these bikes. Sweet bike by the way , First gen 900RR’s rock , i love the twin round headlights. Sweet color , that tangerine Orange looks badass. Post up more detail on your problems and we’ll help ya diagnose it and get that baby purrin. GL

orangecbr900
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Im good on all that my trouble in my case is much more the engine it self I took the bike to a shop well in six months time the shop went belly up and I got the phone call to come pick my bike up. When I showed up my bike was sitting in the parking lot in peaces and my motor was also in peaces sitting in a crate it was suppose to just be a simple rebuild well more or less im sitting here with a torn down engine and have no clue where to start to put the peaces together. Not to mention a few other local shops wont touch it because someone else has started the work!

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Wow.. thats terrible. In that case i would hit up as many shops as possible to check out my options.. at that point it may be more feasible to sell the parts on ebay and start over.

orangecbr900
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@admin … When I bought the bike it didnt run so I knew it was gonna be a project but i got it on a really good deal and I have always wanted a cbr900 we’ll I had it maybe a week and had it running well I let it idle and run for about an hour just to be sure and I went to change the oil and when I drained the oil it was real white and milky so I knew water had got mixed with the oil so I stopped right there pulled the engine and sent it off and while it was gone I got my hands on another cbr900 it was converted into a stunt bike and it ran but not real strong and that was when I got the call to come get my orange bike…Well after a few days of being pissed and knew I wouldnt be able to ride as soon as I wanted I went out side and was looking so I figured I would just swap out motors well when I took the motor off the stunt bike I came across acouple issues the bottom case was cracked and had jb weld all around the stator cover well then I figured I would just change the stator well when I pulled the stator cover off it was cracked on the inside of the case also so could I have that welded?? or should I just change the whole thing I would like to buy another motor just to make it easy on me but work is slow due to the cold weather and I dont have the funds to buy one im just getting disappointed. with ridding season around the corner.

Profile photo of derrick
    derrick
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

get another stator cover, they’re super cheap! you can buy them new for $80 or so or used on fleebay for $25 to $60. getting a stator cover welded gonna be hard not too many people weld mag.
    Man, that’s too bad. :-( good luck
    link to new stator cover! http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-11321-MW0-000.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.