97 cbr 600 f3 wont prime fuel pump. Fuel cut relay??

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions 97 cbr 600 f3 wont prime fuel pump. Fuel cut relay??

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of killakid
    killakid
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

So since it is carbed I understand it has no tilt sensor… I thought it was the fuel pump which was not the case. When key on no whining comes from the pump. When I crank it over the plunger on the pump clicks only a few times and sometimes none. Is it the fuel cut relay and can I by lass it for another two weeks so I’m not walking across town to work? Plz help me. Plz plz plz

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

IIRC, those pumps don’t whine. They click slowly and only put out enough pressure to keep the bowls full. The needles are enough to stop pump flow once the bowls reach desired capacity.

You can bypass the pump. It will run on gravity feed….

killakid
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I did get it to run for about a minute when I first got the bike with wide open choke and idle but I had to feather the throttle like it was running out of gas. He who I bought it from thought it was the voltage regulator and bought two that did not work either. The two he bought are both bigger than the original one. I’m wondering if he was right and just got the wrong regulator… Also from what you say it seems my pump and relay are working normal so is the gravity feed going to help with my problem?.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Bypassing the pump will rule out, or condemn, the fuel pump.

If it runs the same, you have something else going on.

killakid
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

It’s a brand new pump.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

You need to verify that the bike is truly running out of fuel.

Could just be clogged jets or something

killakid
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

So if I set up the gravity feed is that going to tell me that may jets are clogged since the pump and relay are good

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

If you set it up gravity feed and it runs the same, then your problem is not in the fuel pump/relay system.

If it runs like it should, then the problem lies in the pump circuit.

killakid
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Okay I’ll give her a go. Thank you for your help so far I am very grateful

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Just jumped in on this post but interesting cos I’ve been doing a lot of work on the carbs and fuel delivery on my ’97 F3 too this year.

74demon is totally correct (as always!) in that the pump isn’t a rotary one (such as a car fuel pump for example) so it doesn’t spin – it works on pulses received from the Ignition control unit and delivers periodic amounts of fuel to the carbs to keep the float bowls topped up. (The earlier 600F models din’t even have pumps they just relied on gravity feed as he said). At idle speed you’ll get say 1 pulse every few seconds and at higher revs much faster (maybe 3 or 4 per second).

Ok so going back to basics I’d first check the fuel tap – is gas getting to the fuel filter and pump? Is the fuel filter ok – not clogged? Is your (new) fuel pump getting pulses via the relay and the ICU – can be difficult to actually hear the pump so I found if you just keep your finger on it with the engine running (like taking someone’s pulse lol) you will FEEL the regular jolts as it activates, then feel them increase in frequency as you increase engine revs. If you ain’t getting any pulses then time to check the connector, if that’s ok then check wiring continuity between that and the Ignition Control Module.

If you need a full wiring diagram I’ve got the Haynes manual here which is great cos all the cable colours are shown – pm me your email address and I’ll send a copy…

Good Luck!

Tim

P.S. If all that looks good then time to remove the carbs and clean jets, etc. But that’s not too difficult either and loads of great posts on this forum explaining that in a step-by step way…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.