A guy tried to kill me last night…

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse A guy tried to kill me last night…

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 2 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I think I need to get a Go Pro?

I was on my way home from work and happy gently filtering (only 15mph) down lanes of fully stationary traffic, the roads are three lanes and wide so the gaps between the lines of cars are huge and filtering is really easy. Bare in mind filtering is a fully legal and accepted practice here in the UK with the majority of drivers helping you by being courteous and moving over etc.
    Even the police do it and when I was trained by them some years ago they even encouraged it for progress and taught the safe way to do it.

And of course always on the look out for people crossing or drivers opening doors, hand poised over front brake at all times and an ability to stop on a sixpence helps.

I was just bimbling down between a set of cars and headed to the front of the lights when I noticed ahead some go faster Ford Focus RS thing who was at the very front of the lights. As I approached he deliberately moved forward and across to close up the gap to stop me reaching the front … what an asshole?? What is wrong with these jerks??

So, anyway I managed to go behind him to the other side and have an even bigger gap because he had moved so far over ..lol … so now I am sitting at the front of the lights and will be the first off from the lights, leaving a swirling mass of lane changing cars safely behind me, as I often do. If I stay back I end up amongst them all as they all swap lanes fast without indicating and be damned if I’m there or not. You would just get trampled in the crowd as it were.

The focus asshole then started revving up his engine and moving forward getting ready to stop me from getting ahead, the lights change and I dialed in 6,000rpm and snicked it briskly through the gearbox leaving him and everyone else for dead.

But then, he just kept coming and coming and coming and he deliberately nearly went into the back of me at about 70mph, I slowed right down because of the complete threat to my life and he then instantly pulled alongside me and then cut me up and braked as hard as he could to make me go into the back of him … only for the fact I am well experienced on a bike, and prepared for this kind of nasty, life threatening behaviour, saved my life.

He then just kept trying to come alongside me and run me into the side of the road, the pavement or the concrete wall, whatever we were alongside at the time … I mean seriously, he was out to kill me and only the fact I was able to flinch the bike out the way when he tried to sideswipe me did I miss him.

At a second set of lights he stopped and I screamed through his open window that ‘filtering is a legal activity you f’ing jerk!!’ You could see other drivers were visibly shocked at his antics because it was so obvious he was out to run me off the road any way he could, it was more than intimidation.

I saw and stopped by a police car and reported it but he was off fast, ducking and diving through all the traffic … I couldn’t believe it, what is wrong with these complete jerks. In my opinion if you pull this shit on a biker it is attempted murder, period!!

I mean seriously, can someone explain to me how trying to run a biker into a concrete wall is NOT attempted murder?? Yet this crap goes unpunished as just another ‘road rage’ incident. It is not, it is attempted murder!!

If I had a Go Pro on my helmet for these commutes to work and back I would have had all that lethal driving on film and they now say film from Go Pro’s is all admissible in court … this would have been clear cut, it would have recorded his car, his registration number and his very obvious dangerous driving, and crazy speeds as he tried to swipe me off the bike and brake hard repeatedly in front of me…

I was very shaken up and a lesser rider would not have survived or faired very well at all … it’s so not on that these complete psychopaths get away with this behaviour ..sigh

Any advice on the kind of Go Pro I should get for capturing city streets, either tank mount or helmet mount? I don’t know anything about them and the the boob cam I use for filming my riding videos is not suitable for this as it takes ages to set up and needs my jacket partly open. I need a fixed camera I can just mount on the bike or helmet that is quick and easy to set up and use for each commute.

There is no doubt in my mind if I had had the camera he would be caught and sentenced for wreckless driving at least…

I’m still a bit shaken and the chances of meeting him again are high as the commute is always the same kinda times.

These things never happen out in Wales or the lakes and mountains, it’s always some jerk in the city with huge ego problems and more anger than you can imagine…

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sounds like a typical Jackass. They are every where not just there trust me I see it here in the Philippines.

I have a GoPro Hero 4 silver. It is right in the middle of the GoPro as for price. It records in 1080P and the quality is great. My little bro has the GoPro 3 black and it is great quality also. I would suggest if you can find the 3 series I would grab one of them. They are cheaper then the new 4 series and just as good. If your going to record traffic I would do the helmet mount on top. It is good and bad mounting it there.

Bad – wind drag at high speeds you can tell its there.
    Bad – Batteries are crap they dont last long you have to remove your helmet to change the battery. (the lower resolution you record in the longer it will last)
    Bad – You cant get a good angle of the bike leaning in the turns
    Good – You turn your head your camera is seeing what you see

You can check ebay for used models, but remember you might get someone else’s crap.

I also have an old contour the original one, the quality is not as good as the GoPro but it does the job, battery life is really good fully water proof. Also slide the switch forward and your recording on/off/record on 1 slide switch. The GoPro you need to change it to the water proof case or always leave the water proof case on which is okay but you really up the wind noise when recording and playback.

If you decide to go with a GoPro I would suggest getting extra batteries and a dual charger to help charge the batteries. It comes with 2 mount for the helmet, use the shorter one (thats the one the camera is on when ou see it in the package) if you decide you want to mount on the bike that you will need to buy extra. (suction cup). Get the 64GB class 10 (mandatory for the new hero 4 series)

For ease of use I love my contour, for playback quality the GoPro cant be beat. Editing software GoPro all the way, contour doesnt offer any software. Shop around see what you can find a good deal on. Once people see you have a camera you can see their attitude changes. Record every time you ride, if you didnt see anything exciting just delete it.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of fishfryer
    fishfryer
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It’s hard to tell what kind of person is going to be a jerk. My guess is this kid thought he had some baddass machine and when you showed him that it really is just a little econobox his fragile male ego got hurt. After all, he had fancy wheels and probably lumbar supports in his seat, perhaps even some sort of wing on the back. If it was modified it usually means douche. Some kid that pissed awayall his cash on a little noisemaker (EVOs and STIs are excluded in this, those guys tend to be real car guys).

GoPros are great for filming your own death, someone gave me a Hero4 silver, I have no idea what to do with the fucking thing. I’m thinking about attaching it to a wooden spoon so I can record stirring my meatballs. Other than that, I want to look forward to doing exciting things, not looking at things I’ve already done. Which brings up another point, why do people do home sex tapes? Just to review them as game films? Move a leg here, don’t cramp there? Is she faking it? Am I? WTF! Then, without a doubt the room is a mess, all kinds of shit on the dresser or floor, you just look like a slob boinking in fucking squalor. Who needs to see that, any of that. On the brightside, chicks do try harder on film, not sure why, but maybe they think that after you break up you’ll look at them and miss them and want to get back together just so they can reject you and make you feel like shit. Well I ain’t falling for that shit, fuck them, I ain’t falling for that bullshit. No way.

Sorry, got off track.

Glad your safe Jules, avoid douches in noisy little cars.

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I am very sorry to hear this. People are nuts, and Im glad youre OK. You seemed to handle it well given the curcumstances.

That being said. Things would have been very different in other parts of the world.

Here in the US, had this been me, I would have let this gentleman know quickly he is endangering my life, and there will be consequences. I am not required to give this warning but I would. And if he continued to try and take my life I would remove the 9mm from my left pocket and return the favor. “Stand your ground” laws for the win. I am not required to flee from a threat. We love you America.

PS on a side note get a camera. Mine is always recording when i ride and this is one of the reasons. Ive captured idiots in traffic not paying attention nearly kill me dozens of times over the years. Its nice cause if something serious happened you have video evidence in court.

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@jules thats crazy! He deserves to be in jail or at minimum loss of his license! Thats over the top insane. I am glad you’re ok. We dont get that too often but happens to me at times but not that bad or that long of a pursuit. If someone were to continue to be aggressive for that long, I would pull over and get my .45 ready for action. I have had the guys who tailgate too close or try to push you out of my lane bit normally I can just throttle out and its over with. Mostly I get the guys who pull next to me and rev their engine and want to race. I usually ignore them, unless they have a girl in the car, then I just give em a quick 1/4 mile of embarrassment :wink:

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sounds like the little fucker needs a throat punch.seriously tho, glad your ok Jules. Get a number off his gigantic tag?

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sorry to hear this @jules. Here’s how you straighten him out. Real attitude adjuster

Profile photo of pacemaker
    pacemaker
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Sorry to hear about this Jules. I think this is something that every bike rider will experience at some stage or other. I’ve been dogged by some dick head at at 4:00am on a 4 lane highway with bugger all traffic, but that was back in the 60’s. When I did motorcycle couriering it was the norm for some fucker to try & take you out.
    I’ve seen taxi’s & vans pull in front of bikes & hit the brakes in Sydney only recently.
    Car drivers get bent out of shape over bikes, fark knows why? We have a big Ice problem going on here (And I guess everywhere) as well as the usual pissants & unregistered, unlicensed & uninsured brain deads. Just be careful out there Jules.

PS. Happy Birthday

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes, it was simply horrible at the time, my heart was racing so fast in my chest and I just couldn’t understand what ‘perceived’ wrong I had done for him to think it worth trying to take my life … I mean, seriously?? Talk about hostility from nowhere??

I spoke to a friend about it and he said the Go Pro can also be used against me if they confiscate and see I myself have broken rules or speeds etc. It’s hard to know what to do now? I mean during my commute I don’t break speed limits or ride erratically, I filter and I’m very legal and ride safely so I guess using one would not be an issue in my case.

I probably wouldn’t use it on my ‘rideouts’ into the hills and mountains though, as I do tend to break speed limits and overtake where I deem it safe but where the law might not etc.

It shook me up quite a bit and the daily commute is the real danger, not my rideouts as such…

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

If the police there can take your camera like that Im sorry. I guess thats a good reason not to get one. Thats why I love my country. The US policies and politicians may be shameful sometimes, but our country is great.

The police will get my camera two ways.
    1. with my consent, which they will not get
    2. With a warrant from a judge

My 4th amendment right is why. Don’t get me wrong it happens, probably a lot. Because people are ignorant suckers and let it happen, or are coerced. If they try to infringe upon this mans rights in any way I will be on the phone with my lawyer.

Anyways on a happier note, I would say get one.. They are great for so many things even other than riding. They take great video and pics, can take photo bursts, waterproof, have wifi.. etc

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I feel for you. Unfortunately, it’s typical road rage stuff whereby a normally rational person but on the brink of insanity gets behind the wheel and becomes a raging lunatic.

To a lesser or higher degree bikers seem to go through that in their riding life and all you can do is hope letting them vent is enough and you get to live another day. I had a situation where someone threatened my life last year in Florida.

Some people are just insane and you have to just hope for the best, know and accept that no matter what you do some folks are just ready to take out all their life’s problems at anyone that happens to be on “their” road with them, and ride on.

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

p.s. I have no clue which GoPro to get :)

Profile photo of dtone
    dtone
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Unfortunately the way things are in the UK, the police only have to reasonable, in their eyes, suspicion that you have broken the law and they can confiscate your camera and use it to prosecute you.

It has happened to several bikers over here, there are also quite a few people who have been prosecuted from YouTube videos.

I would still recommend fitting a, camera, there are systems out there that fit permanently to your bike and can be hidden so unless you know they are there, you wouldn’t see it at a glance. This is more for your own protection in case you run into one of those knuckle dragging neanderthals.

It can be scary out there, and the scariest thing is that you are just the unlucky person that these morons have chosen purely at random to vent their anger on.

I am really glad you are okay @jules

Oh and I have no idea what Gopro to buy either, I am thinking about buying one though.

Profile photo of pacemaker
    pacemaker
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@dtone said:

Oh and I have no idea what Gopro to buy either, I am thinking about buying one though.

I have 3 cameras, not GoPro, but pretty much the same. I think the camera that Jules already has would suffice, as the vid’s she has posted are pretty good. It seems reasonable to have one mounted on your helmet would be the best. Pretty sure that you would be looking at this Drop kick. By the by, check this fucker out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rVP7_iTRMA

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@kewlbreeze Thank you for sharing that story, and I understand you not wanting to leave it written down here and ‘grounded’ as it were. It must have been a truly awful experience when all you can do is just try to ride against the deluge…

I honestly think it’s about time all this stuff was no longer treated as road rage, if a guy came into your house and threatened you, waved a gun under your nose and you only escaped by running out the back door, how is it different when it happens on the road? These people need to be punished severely by the law and non of this umbrella term ‘oh it’s only a road rage incident’ .. um, no, sane people call it attempted murder, whether it’s on the highway or in your house!!

Jules

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks @jules. Yeah, I figured you had already read it.
    I agree with you that’s the way it should be but for me personally, and of course everyone is different so I don’t expect everyone to agree on this, I don’t think it’s worth the level of stress and mental anguish to pursue it unless some mishap actually resulted from it. There are going to be insane drivers no matter what you or I do. I don’t know, it may be different if it was recorded on video but here in most cases nothing happens when it was “attempted”, you have to actually be injured or dead for anyone to take it seriously. That’s the case with most anything medical or criminal here in that lawyers and the law generally don’t care much about the “what ifs” or “the principal of the thing” etc.. etc.. they just care about what the actual outcome was. That’s not always the case but to go through the whole thing to find out is not worth it.

The law is generally reactive not proactive.

Take these 2 stories recently in the news for example:
    News Story 1
    Story 2

Both could not only be considered “attempted” but they actually did kill someone and even with that they got very very light sentences. The second story, the lady got almost nothing.

Not saying it should be that way or that we shouldn’t do anything but for me personally I have to weigh the cost/benefit analysis and for me to pursue something like that is not clear cut.

On a similar note; I have reported drunk driving when I have been riding along and seen obvious (not just texting but obviously drunk) drivers on the road and given the dispatcher all the info they need such as location, time, which way they are headed and in one case even the home address they pulled into. Of the times I’ve reported it only once did officers respond. In a few of the situations I saw, a motorcyclists wouldn’t have had a chance if they had been riding anywhere near them. Not saying I won’t continue to do it but it just goes with what I’m trying to say in that sometimes you have to weigh what’s best for you mentally and its potential outcome as well as what is the right thing to do.

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

and p.s. I still don’t know which GoPro you should get :lol:

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sorry to hear about your horrendous experience @Jules.

Even for UK that seems way over the top – I’ve seen some nasty ‘road rage’ incidents but as you say that term has been over-used to the extent that people seem to assume it just means someone getting a bit annoyed by illegal or discourteous acts by other drivers.

What you have described surpasses that infinitely – the guy obviously has a screw loose or an overdose of testosterone or steroids or something. Filtering seems to elicit a mixed reaction from car drivers; as you say, some are extremely courteous and understanding by pulling over & making space for you. Others however seem to resent it to greater or lesser degrees – probably because they envy the freedom a biker has to progress thru jams. But that idiot falls into a different category I reckon, i.e. w****rs who drive fast cars (normally gti versions of mainstream hatchbacks – not talking proper supercars here like Ferraris or Lamborghinis) because they satisfy their massive egos and miniscule brains and other parts. His attitude was ‘how DARE you get the better of me with my injected turbo (family) car??’. Still doesn’t explain why he took it so far and wanted to kill you but it’s impossible for reasonable people like ourselves to rationalise the actions of madmen like that I suppose.
    I guess a helmet cam is the only option plus memorising his reg. no. – unlikely that any other road users will want to ‘get involved’ by giving witness statements these days.

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@kewlbreeze @saturnv

The episode did get to me more than I said at the time, after the initial shock and some anger that these things just get the umbrella term of road rage, I became quite sad at the state of humanity and that… well never mind, the result was I haven’t ridden much this year, despite both bikes having nice new tyres now.

I have only been out a couple of times, but have been trying to rectify that situation of late and get back into my stride…

A GoPro is going to be my next purchase… yes, I may still get hurt, but at least there will be some proof by who and what they did…

Jules

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Hi Jules,
    Just take your time, only you can tell when you feel better about things and your confidence returns, but it WILL in time, believe me… I had an incident about ten years ago which was nothing to do with driving but it was an example of irrational human behaviour i.e. aggression: a bloke attacked me for no apparent reason when I was with a group of friends outside a restaurant. He didn’t know me from Adam but he just came up and head-butted me! Police were called, statements given, etc. Police seemed reluctant to press charges even though all witnesses said it was an unprovoked attack – guess they didn’t want all the paperwork. Anyway in the end it went to court and he was convicted of ‘common assault’ – only got a fine but at least some sort of justice was done. Anyway I think the point I wanted to make was for months after that I was apprehensive and nervous in public places and actually flinched if men approached me but after a while that fear receded, although I still avoid crowds of blokes acting aggressively lol.
    Although that situation was obviously not road rage it does show how much it can freak you out when someone attacks you for no reason (they tested him for alcohol and drugs plus a police psychiatrist examined him and found no evidence of any contributing factors). Also that your confidence does return in time although it may take a while.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.