Anyone do the flapper mod on their 1000rr?

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Anyone do the flapper mod on their 1000rr?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of admin admin 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Has anyone here done the “flapper mod” for their 600rr or 1000rr? I’ve been researching it a bit and I gave it a go. Haven’t driven it yet, but I will see tomorrow if it helped anything. From what I researched, it should help low RPM’s (1000rr doesn’t like the city very much but LOVES the highway).

Used this guide.. 2 seconds to do.. we’ll see what happens.

http://www.speedysgarage.net/hondacbr1000rrweb/1000RR_mods/1000RR_flappermodeasy/easyflappermod.htm

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I have done it on my RR no major noticeable difference for me, the exhaust sounded a little deeper at idle, but I also had the PC3 and gears installed at the same time so that might be why I didnt notice it. Best bang for your buck, -1/+3 I dare you to try and keep the front end down after that mod.

Another mod im looking to do for my RR is 1/4 turn throttle. I have it on my CB and 250 $7.00 for an R6 throttle tube and BAM let the fun begin. Would suggest making sure you have good throttle control if your out riding the twisties, also wipe off the bar after you remove the old tube and add just a thin coat of grease

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Sounds interesting but 3 horsepower sounds too good to be true. Just from plugging a vaccum line so the flapper in the intake tube stays open. Then again I guess it makes sense; interested in what you find out @admin

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I did the flapper mod last night and went out today for a bit. The intake definately sounds louder from the front at low rpms through the city. The exhaust sounds a tiny bit “throatier” if that’s even a word.

I have a PC3 on mine with a map from their website.. i’m going to have a professional dyno tune everything and I bet it will be even better. I’ll keep the flapper mod for now.. doesn’t seem to be a negative thing. I also think it felt a bit smoother from 2-4k rpms but I could be wrong.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@smalls1000 said:
    Sounds interesting but 3 horsepower sounds too good to be true. Just from plugging a vaccum line so the flapper in the intake tube stays open. Then again I guess it makes sense; interested in what you find out @admin

I’ve read probably 100+ forum pages.. at least 4 known articles.. and a couple how to videos on youtube. Everything I read pointed in the right direction and if i’m going to do it now, I might as well do it before dyno tuning the bike. More cold air at low RPMs? Yes please.

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@SDM1 said:
    I have done it on my RR no major noticeable difference for me, the exhaust sounded a little deeper at idle, but I also had the PC3 and gears installed at the same time so that might be why I didnt notice it. Best bang for your buck, -1/+3 I dare you to try and keep the front end down after that mod.

Another mod im looking to do for my RR is 1/4 turn throttle. I have it on my CB and 250 $7.00 for an R6 throttle tube and BAM let the fun begin. Would suggest making sure you have good throttle control if your out riding the twisties, also wipe off the bar after you remove the old tube and add just a thin coat of grease

I love my -1+2! Makes for a fun and punchy ride. Do you guys know if the flapper mod is doable on my 04 600RR? I have not have the time to look at this yet but would like to if possible. Or is it a 1000 mod only?
    @admin any noticeable difference after a few days rolling with the change?

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I feel like the bike got a better intake. My exhaust sounds a bit deeper at low rpms too.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@theredrocket I was on skype with a web design buddy of mine (who still hasn’t signed up here yet for god knows what reason). He owns a 600rr and I asked him about the flapper mod. He used to have a 1000rr for the track and did the flapper mod to that.

For the 600rr he said:
    “My 600rr doesnt have a flapper but I gutted the intake and it helped the same way as the 1000rr flapper mod did on the track bike”

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Here is the flapper closed. On the 1000rr, under 3k or so RPM, it closes under vacuum. When you do the flapper mod, it stays open the whole time, which it would after 3k or so RPM anyway, so i’m playing it like it’s a cold air intake lol

Do you have a flap like this on your 600rr? On my 1kRR you can see the flap and small intakes on the sides, above the radiator, when you are kneeling down and looking up over the front wheel.. above the radiator.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Damn I feel like a post whore, but too lazy to edit myself..

I talked to two track guys that run 1000rr’s and both of them completely removed the canister, hoses, vacuum gold round thingy (technical term provided by Jack Daniels) and capped the outlet.

I can’t wait to get a custom tune. I feel like there is something wrong with the air/fuel mixture but i’m way too dumb to do it on my own with the power commander software. With the flapper mod, exhaust, high flow air filters, PC3, and custom tune.. I should be good to go in the power department.

Profile photo of cbrhero
    cbrhero
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I did the flapper mod on my 1000rr. I feel a difference and I can hear it breathing better. Maybe it’s just me… but on the same post you linked to, someone wrote this, which I agree with 1000%.

The flap does NOT close off the intake completely. And no you don’t have to take it out. Below about 3500 rpm the flap is closed but intake flow is restricted to the two smaller openings on the sides of the intake. Above that the flap opens to increase air flow. As Tystyx said disconnecting the vacuum hose causes the flap to remain open thereby increasing air flow during low rpm operation. Let’s your engine “breath” easier which in turn should make more power. Originally I just plugged the vacuum hose to the flap on my ’07 but have since replaced the intake with an HRC replica. Both mods made a definite improvement.

Did you do it to your bike and have negative results?

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I don’t think your going to see too much of a negative effect. I too have read that its closed under a certain rpm and then opens for the rest of the time. That being said if its 3 or 4 thousand rpm’s thats pretty low and if your doing under 4000 rpm’s most of your ride you need to look into getting one of these bad boys.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Exactly. Basically there is a large air vent and two smaller ones on the sides. When you get enough vacuum pressure, the big one opens.. until then it sucks through these two small intake holes. With the mod, it’s open all of the time.

Basically it’s like putting a car’s cold air intake on your bike. Colder and more air throughout.

Profile photo of cbrhero
    cbrhero
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

No I think that if the flapper is closed you will make more torque in the bottom end, when the flap opens it will flow better in the top end. So I think it’s just a broader torque curve. But I could be wrong

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The way I understand it, it was put there for emissions. I can’t understand how more air and easier airflow would be a bad thing.. in low end or top end. Personally, it feels better to me.. so to each his own I guess.

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Good way to just settle it would do a dyno run with the flapper functioning like normal and then with it unplugged. So who’s got the money to pay for dyno’s in the name of science and the forum . :mrgreen:

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Already done in the link in the first post..

I’m eventually going to tune my PC3 when I have some more $$ and time which i’m sure will help across the board.. I might also re-connect this (since it’s a non-permanent 10 second mod) and see if I feel a difference..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.