AT 90 Seriously WTF

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse AT 90 Seriously WTF

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of shoichirohonda shoichirohonda 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

So I left my house at 4:45 this morning for my 50 mile ride to work… about half way in I was cruising at about 90.. I was coming up on some traffic pretty quick so I went to grab some clutch to shift down and NO clutch lever!! I look down and to my amazement the bolt is gone and it looked like the pic below…. I shoved it back in the slot and had to ride the rest of the way in holding a bit of pressure on it so it wouldn’t fall out again… it took my 2 outside fingers on top and my middle 2 on the bottom to keep it in the slot.. Iv’e never heard of this happening and I have gone thru tons of street bikes, dirt bikes, quads WTF

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Hey :)

I’m sorry to hear that, it could have been dodgy too in the wrong place so I’m glad all ended well … I have seen the bolts pushed in from the bottom so when the nut goes the bolt drops out. The bolt always has to go from the top … that said the nut might have been missing a while and bumps or vibration made you lose the bolt.

It’s a good reminder for us all to check our nuts and bolts frequently.

Glad you’re ok :)

Jules

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@juliet The bolt only goes in one way, from top to bottom the clamp on the bottom is threaded on the bottom.. It just vibrated out then must have bounced out after hitting a big bump…. Just glad the cable didn’t come out of the lever itself… That would of sucked :lol:

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Dam you sound exactly like me. I ride daily 50 miles to work and for the past month mine comes out slowly. I just keep a screw driver on me and tighten it real good before I leave. It takes a nut on the underside of the clutch bolt. Just been too lazy to stop and get one. I just pay attention to it as I ride. Probably stop to get one today easy fix.

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Really sucks in city traffic the constant clutch squeeze works it out faster than the vibrations

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

@broccoli2 Yes, I just checked mine now in the garage and it’s kinda hard to see if the nut is there with the low angle of the bars and there is a connecter block and wiring in the way too so you kinda just have to feel upwards to see if the nut is there. It was there and so was the brake one too … worth keeping an eye on guys :)

Jules

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

This is very interesting. I was talking to a long time rider and he was telling me every time I wipe it down I need to be feeling over everything and looking for loose parts. I will have to pay more attention to these type of things!

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Glad your safe bro! Time to check mine.

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I will be checking my before I ride to the gym today

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

lol everyone is like “hmmm.m lets double check ours” hahaha

Profile photo of raven
    raven
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

That sounds like an O’shit moment! I’ve accidentally switched gears without using clutch, and shop guy said “Honda trannies are bombproof”. Cool. On guns, we use “LOCK-TITE”, like a glue, to hold screws through jolts. Maybe try it on this sort of thing.

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Blue Locktite.

Profile photo of freekman
    freekman
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

wow that would have scared the shit out of me. On my old bike the clutch cable would always get loose and pulling the lever all the way in wouldn’t engage it. I would have to shut down the bike pullover and tighten it by hand all the time, because there was an oil leak that would go right onto the bolts

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@shoichirohonda why does it matter which color loctite you use? lol…

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Because the color ain’t for looks, it’s a designation of different strengths for different applications.

Blue – sort of weakest (so you can remove it again)
    Red – somewhat stronger
    Green – metal bonding

Of course, a bit of teflon, either the liquid, or the wrap would probably do the job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.