Bar End Weights

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Bar End Weights

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Anyone got any experience or opinions on bar end weights? – if this sounds like a stupid / random question, let me explain…

When I had sold my old Yamaha Diversion and bought the CBR600 I didn’t bother to put heated grips on it because my reasoning was: it’s a sports bike and I only ride for fun, i.e. in warmer weather so I won’t need hot grips – WRONG! I love this bike so much that I have been riding in winter too when it’s safe to do so and although it’s cold this year is nothing like as cold as some we’ve had – most days 10C or above and no snow or ice yet (although lots of rain :( )

So I fitted the Oxford Hot Grips similar to those on my last bike and they’re truly amazing and essential for safety as well as comfort IMHO – cold fingers react and respond a lot slower to nerve impulses from the brain so no matter how fast your reaction time is in theory, in practice it ain’t gonna happen in time with frozen hands…

When fitting the handlebar grips i had a lot of trouble with the LHS bar end thingy – basically the bolt was seized and refused to budge and all that was happening was the central insert was turning inside the bar tube and eventually I gave up and used bolt cutters to remove it.

I then decided to leave the right hand bar end weight off too as it looked funny with just one. I thought they were just there for protection if you dropped the bike but reading other forums it appears that their purpose is to dampen resonances in the bars caused by engine vibrations. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow for sure when I take her out whether they made a difference or not but does anyone else know if they reduce vibes or not?

Thanks
    Tim

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

They absolutely do. I’ve had ebay bar ends that SUCKED and really nice ones that actually helped vibration when riding long distances. If you go on ebay there are a SUPER long set that are VERY heavy. I’m going to grab them and put them on my 1000rr to get rid of the hand numbing vibrations. Good bar ends are definately worth it.. but the heavier the better.

Heavier weights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400314576002

A buddy of mine has it on his 1000rr and swears by them, good enough for me.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Oh dear – I’m gonna suffer on my 120 mile ride out tomorrow then :(

I’ll have to replace the whole lefthand bar now tho cos the old one is buggered after I cut the bolt off!!

Thanks @admin

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

On my 600rr it wasn’t that noticible.. on my 1000rr if I ride with the bar ends off, the vibration makes my hands go numb. Could be okay..

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@admin

Went on a 140 mile ride today covering a mixture of roads from country lanes to fast A roads and motorways and please to say that at no time was any real vibration noticeable thru the bars – and that’s obviously across the whole range of engine revs from idle to around 8000 (I rarely go above that!) and road speeds up to *** (don’t want to incriminate myself but quite fast in places…)

So as far as I can judge from personal experience the absence of bar-end weights has made no noticeable difference whatsoever; maybe that’s just a testament to how damn good and smooth these engines are?!

However, as you say it probably depends on the bike so on a 1000RR (is it called Fireblade over there?) it must have different vibration characteristics – different resonant frequency of due to different frame, engine weight etc…

Having said that I may try to refit them for purely cosmetic reasons lol.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@saturnv That’s awesome to hear. I could have sawed off the ends on my 600rr and it would still have been perfect.. the 1000rr doesn’t want to cooperate the same with the current ebay bar ends. Can’t wait for the new ones.. but glad it worked out for you.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks @admin. For the time being am just gonna plug the open ends of each grip with those rubber end caps (as used on steel pipes or table legs, etc.) to stop water and crap getting in.

When summer comes I may replace the LHS bar insert and refit both bar end weights – just for cosmetic reasons cost they do LOOK quite cool lol

And the other point is crash protection for the bars plus the RHS one stops the throttle grip jamming open if bike dropped on that side I guess…

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@saturnv Plug em up! I love when there is a cheap solution before an expensive one that takes planning and ordering.. for example.. zip ties! ;-) Glad that your bike doesn’t do the shimmy shake mine does at an exact RPM/Speed.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Absolutely, couldn’t agree more @admin!
    Occam’s Razor: less is more – simple answer is always the best lol.

Tie-wraps and paper clips (also Duck tape) have helped me out of many a mechanical engineering challenge!

Seriously impressed by the low vibration characteristics of this engine though – slightly more at certain revs of course but since I did the carb sync last summer it’s been super-smooth :)

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

P.S. What revs do your engine vibes get worst? Think I get more around 5-6000 from memory but still not excessive

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It’s so strange.. it’s literally a 200-300rpm section between 4k and 5k.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Weird!
    Not as if you can blame carb balancing either cos you’ve got fuel injection.
    Do others report the same thing?

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I really think it’s the cheap bar ends. They never fit perfectly snug.. can’t wait for the new ones. And i’m guessing it’s a pretty common issue because there are several “heavy, vibration reducing” bar end options for my bike.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Interesting…thought that inline 4 bike engines were inherently vibe free;maybe I am mistaken. Certainly must be much smoother than twins

Hope your new bar end weights do the job!

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yeah, it might just be something vibrating that I haven’t caught yet.. or a loose bolt somewhere.. flapping fairing.. who the hell knows. Always something.. and if there weren’t something.. then I would make something up to work on her anyway, lol.

Ride safe brother.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

know what u mean lol

take it easy mate :socool:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.