Bi-Monthly Rant

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Bi-Monthly Rant

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kewlbreeze kewlbreeze 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Forewarning that there’s no real point to this post … cool story bruh and all that .. just a rant.

Bought 4 expensive LED flashers years ago and had no issues except I wired them wrong and weren’t working as running lights, only worked as flashers/blinkers. Never bothered me so I left them be and had no issues for years.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I finally got a wild hair and became less lazy and decided to take everything apart and wire everything properly .. which I did and everything worked beautifully both as running lights and as blinkers.

First long ride and come back to see the entire housing on all 4 to be completely melted looking like a Salvador Dail painting.

Whomever all these companies are that claim LEDs don’t put out much heat are full of s&)*^_.

I didn’t take a pic of the lights but here’s a visual representation of the aftermath:

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Your bi monthly rant much better then the monthly bleed

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

They melted..? Ive been running LEDs for years on every bike ive had. Ive had many kits, a few burnt out from so much riding in the rain, but generally ive got a lot of miles out of them. I spend a few extra dollars and get the good kits online. Not sure if we are discusing the same LEDs or not, you said flashers.. but heres some pics of mine, and its funny you bring it up cause i had to redo mine last night. i can hook mine up in about 20 minutes, and ive never had a heat issue , battery issue etc. ive left them on for 12 hours and come out and theyre fine.

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I get thr feeling what he is dealing with is just a little different… because of being Turns/ blinkers.. the housings are probabley smaller and tighter… and the housing is what melted from the heat of the LED. I have a flashlight fetish… and some of the LED flashlights get retardedly hot while they are on!!!! I have a couple that are over 400 Lumens and get so hot they are uncomfortable to hold after a couple minutes!!! And they are only powered by 6 volts or so from a set of dbl or triple A batteries….

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@borderline4laska hubbard is correct. It’s the housing that’s the issue. I don’t think the LEDs on your bike have any housing around them, they are strips of LEDs, correct? With my LED blinkers, the housing around them (especially on the top and back side) are melted to the point where the front and back are completely separating apart and rain goes straight in. Speaking of which; I wonder if rain effects LEDs the same as it does halogen? So far the water hasn’t affected the LEDs, they still work. But I don’t know how much longer that will last. I guess next time I’ll go with a well known name brand because just thinking it should be obvious a company selling expensive LED blinkers would test them first to make sure they don’t melt apparently isn’t as true as I thought it should be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.