BorderlineAlaska 's 2004 CBR 600rr Build

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads BorderlineAlaska 's 2004 CBR 600rr Build

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of admin admin 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well if you didn’t know already, this is my 2004 CBR 600rr. This is my 4th CBR and I absolutely love these machines. I’ve put 13k miles on it in little over a year. Road it to Deals Gap and back and plan on going again in July. For me, I like removing most of the emblems, and adding aftermarket parts for a more personalized look. I know there is OEM nazis out there but this is just how I like my bike. :) Anyways I made this thread to keep track of my progress, and share with you guys the changes that have been made, and various work Ive done. I wont go into extreme detail with anything, any questions feel free to ask. Mostly just going to be parts list and pics. The only thing the bike came with was the HMF can and fender eliminator kit. Thanks for checking it out, enjoy. Will update as I go along.

Picked up in Spring 2014:

And now Spring 2015:

Various work and parts list

Already Installed Blue HMF pipe, and fender eliminator..

Removed emblems, and placed a few stickers of my own. Including a few RideCBR.com stickers. :)

Shes always contains fresh AMZOIL and always has on a new set of Pilot Powers.

Lowered 1 1/2 inch in the front.

Short adjustable levers, electric blue. From Sixty61

Blue spiked barends from Sixty61. Just swapped them to some non spiked gold ones because we kept stabbing ourselves while working on it, among the other obvious dangers.

Iridium Windscreen
    Iridium Rear hugger
    Blue powdercoated bolt kit.
    Million Color LED Kit
    Painted bottom plastic black
    Smoked Blinkers
    Steel braided brakelines. Translucent blue.
    All new brake pads
    Side mount license plate
    Carrozzeria Tri-Forge Wheels. Gold. These things drop so much weight, its unbelievable.
    520 Conversion Chain and sprockets. All blue. Driven superlyte in the front -1, Vortex carrozzeria compatible in the rear with +4. Also have a Driven rear with +2 that goes with the stock rear wheel. (Carrozzerias require a compatible rear sprocket as the bolt pattern is different)

All new cooling system, mainly because it wasnt in the greatest shape, radiator was rough from rocks and such, hoses were starting to wear, etc. I want her to be as cool as I am. ;) So I dropped a few dollars for everything and put a new:
    Radiator
    Thermostat
    Waterpump
    Overflow resevoir
    All the hoses. Blue to match. :)
    Engine ice coolant.

Future work in the coming months:
    Wave rotors
    Smoked headlight with “angel eyes”
    Power commander, quick shifter, and tuned.
    Powdercoat rear swingarm.
    Adjustable rearsets.
    Various hydrodipping since a gentleman I work with does such things
    Custom seats from Streetskinnz thanks to @admin :)

More to come. Stay tuned. :socool:

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@borderline4laska can you provide a pick of your upper tripple and tubes? I want to see how it looks with a lowered front. Also how did that effect your handling? Mine was lowered in front and put everything back to stock and setting my suspension, but I have short legs and scoot off to the left for a flat foot down at stops. Its a pain for me to back up with only tippy toe action :evil:

borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@theredrocket Ive always liked my fromt lower, mainly because it gives me a better feel into the corners. It feels like it “dives” into them when you slide back and forth on the seat to hit twisties, ive heard it takes awhile to get use to and that it allows for more agressive cornering. Not sure if theres actually generel truth to that but it works for me. Not sure if lowering the just tge front would help you get flat footed. May need to lower the rear too. Heres the pics you wanted. Let me know if you need a different angle.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Sexy bike man!

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Man I need to get me some light weight wheels

borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@kgprice thanks man!

@smalls1000 do it man! Theyre a pretty penny but very much worth it. Not sure the actually wieght differance from stock. But for me it was a very noticeable difference when riding it.

Im going to upload a few pics of the work later. And as I said before Ill update as I go. Probably be until after july before I get back into putting money in it. Saving up for my trip to deals gap at the end of july. I rented a cabin in the mountains there for a week. :D

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@borderline4laska that is low ;-) I was going to try 1/2″ up front and in back. I will need a 1″ drop link and mod it for only 1/2″. I am sure I can hit flat foot with 1 1/2″ on the front only but dont want to throw off the dynamics of her too much. I am stock all the way around. Sexy blue and gold btw, very nice start to your late build thread.

Profile photo of dan5291
    dan5291
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Looks great, this makes me want to start a build thread of my own:) Mine probably won’t get as custom as yours but I have similar ideas for my baby.

Where did you get your bolt kit? I want to get an all black one for mine, but I’ve heard mixed reviews about them, do you have any input on the quality/durability of the ones you’re using?

borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@dan5291

I believe the site I usually get them is fairingbolts.com. I go with the OEM bolts and get them powdercoated.

From my experience the OEM bolt kits are the least PITA to get on and when installed right will never come off. As opposed to some custom spiked and other fancy bolt kits.

I love them and you can get them powdercoated just about any color. Ive had black, gold, blue etc. The only issue with them being powdercoated is it adds thickness to the bolt head. Obviously the threads arent powdercoated for this very reason. This leaves you with two options, one use the normal size allen, 8mm i think, and tear up some of the powdercoat on the inside of the head. Or go one size smaller, and be careful. And then you still risk some powdercoat coming off. Ive worked on my bike so much and removed the bolts so many times many of the heads have no powdercoat left on the inside. After they are tore up enough I just get another kit.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I really love the blue.. I was debating and your bike almost put me over the edge until I saw the gloss black and had to go batman on it.

borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well I hit a dead deer on my way to work a couple weeks ago. It was foggy, dark, and I was running 70mph because Im smart like that.. Lol. Anyways I survived, somehow I didnt wreck and all the damage it did was rip my bottom plastic off. Tore some tabs off. Ziptied it and road on. Oh well. Im getting all new plastics this winter anyways.

In the meantime I got some header wrap I thought I would try just for the fuck of it Lol. Heres a pic with my plastic gone and some wrap around the slip on. I couldnt really do the bottom of the header.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Good save brother. Those critters/Varmints can make a mess out of a bike and rider

the difference between a Varmint and a critter: a varmint is a critter you are currently mad at-

borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well on top of the deer, last month I was sideswiped and put down by a minivan. I think I made a post about it with pics and such. I know some of you saw it on facebook. Anyways I just recently got a new fairing kit. For half the price of most kits it comes Unpainted and primed white, I planned to paint it black this winter but I think I actually like the white even being primer, and I may paint it such instead of black. Maybe pearl white would look sexy :)

Overall the quality of these plastics are great, they were located in the US and the fitment was excellent! Surprisingly. Ive bought a few kits over the years for other bikes and have waited more than a month from china. Also experienced cheap fiberglass like materiel that breaks and cracks easy.

These are nice and thick, quality ABS just about as good as OEM, and like I said I couldnt be happier with the fitment. I had to round out a couple of the holes with a drill because of leftover plastic but I have absolutely no complaints, everything lined up perfectly.

I ordered new blinkers and they sent me wrong ones, so I’m waiting on those and I also have a new bolt kit coming. And my seats are off at Street Skinns Custom motorcycle seats getting done, thanks to the contest I won here. :) I’m also going to be switching up some of the blue parts, and others, for gold. So its all white with some gold. I still have work to do.. For the most part though, shes looking good again. I’ll update my original post up there with new pics when its done along with the parts list. Heres a few for now though. :)

borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I forgot to mention I added some decals I had from Deals gap this past summer. Even though I plan to paint them of course, I have plenty more, and will have to do some prep work on the plastics anyways. I just wanted to break up the white a bit. :)

borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

One more, from my ride last night. Im looking forward to the rest of my parts coming in so she can look even better! ;)

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Like I said on facebook, I miss the blue but like the white and gold. Also can’t wait to see the seats when they get back to you. Keep us posted.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I like white.. but it always feels unpainted when I see a white bike. Still stylish though and I love your bike and the wheels are sick. I too can’t wait to see what the seat looks like!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.