breaking out of the cage…

RideCBR.com Forums New Member Introductions breaking out of the cage…

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kewlbreeze kewlbreeze 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lemarck234
    lemarck234
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I have about about 4k miles under my belt @foreigninvasion89 so i’m still pretty new myself. Idk about that care package deal, though haha. I’d be willing to meet up and buy a round of drinks!

@74demon I have heard a lot of good things about “twist of the wrist” before. Would you suggest the video or book? Not much of a reader, but I would sit down to read about the art of riding. Cornering, even at low speeds, can be a lot of fun. Thanks for bringing this up!

JeanLemarck - Survival of the Squiddest

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I like the video. It’s more visual….

Seat time builds confidence. Get as much as you can!

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well when I said no serious damage to machine I overlooked repairing the fairing so in reality it is easier to replace all the plastic on the RHS but that’s COSTLY! Been searching all day on Ebay and Google and decided to get a complete brand new fairing for £436 (inc shipping) which is around $630 I think. New OEM exhaust can will be £180 ($260). Of course I don’t NEED to replace any of it for a while cos it still works and is street legal (after I put a new front indicator on today) but it’s embarrassing to ride when it’s all scratched and dented lol.

I will master corners (with more experience and training) because we all have to become competent around bends for our own safety and enjoyment of the art of motorcycling. As @74demon says there is no magic trick (unfortunately) but it’s all down to technique and skill which comes with practice and experience. There is a lot of theory that you can read up on but just knowing the theory won’t help you unless you can put it into practice. The challenge for me now is to regain my confidence after falling off and resist the temptation ‘never to ride again’.. Getting back in the saddle and learning by my mistakes are the way forward.

Hmmm, whiskey drinkers seem to follow 2 different schools of thought: those who take it with ice and water (or other mixers) and those who have it straight. My personal opinion is that Scotch malt whiskey tastes much better straight without ice; but I also like the occasional JD and Coke with ice!

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru
    Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks for those links @theredrocket, for me the thirst for knowledge is competing with the thirst for survival and I hope the latter wins to be honest!

Also found this one but remember guys: you drive on the right hand side over there :wink:

http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/fear/

After reading all of this I think I must’ve broken all the rules in the book; i.e. too fast into bend, wrong gear, front brake too hard and no rear brake at all…

I was so lucky this time to have survived, could have been sooo different; if I’d slid into oncoming traffic or been hit by another rider.

The other guys were really supportive and said just Live and Learn but I know in my heart that I’ve got to Learn in order to Live next time

Profile photo of foreigninvasion89
    foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@74demon: haha… sounds like those drivers-ed movies they would show you in high school; Blood on the Windscreen, or The Last Prom…< Twist of the Wrist sounds like a good read.> or a sunday morning youtube video. Thanks for the quick lesson. I can do it now. hah jk.

got real busy the past few days at work…but today i am drilling open that gas tank!! I wanna ride her.

Have a great hump day fellas….and ladies, if you’re reading me.

Deuces!

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@theredrocket: still thirsty man….i feel like Neo in the Matrix. I want more. thanks for the info. can’t wait to start practicing, damn rusty tank.

@lemarck234: i think that sounds like a good idea. easier than drop shipping.

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@saturnv: i’m glad you’re dusting yourself off and mounting up again. a few scratches and dings are no thing, consider them as battle scars. all in all, fairings and side markers can always be replaced. learn and live long. c-ya.

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 there are two types of riders. Those who have gone down and those who will go down. Its inevitable at some point it happens to all of us. I have been down on dirt bikes as a kid and bounced back because I was young. I just went wide and lost my front tire in the shoulder and off the road I went. Not bad but banged up a bit. Took me longer to recover at 38 than at 18. Bikes ok but it happens. My dad had never wrecked but was just rear ended last year. He has 50+ years experience and the golden saying finally caught up to him. Just prepare, practice and it’s a risk we all take. Care don’t look for us, call phone use is out of control and it’s scientifically proven that your mind scans for a large box not a small silhouette. Just pretend that your invisible and that every cager is out to get you. Some of these fuckers actually mess with is on purpose. I’ve had objects thrown at me, people riding my ass or intentionally try to give me off the road for zero reason. Some of these assholes just target us for their own twisted reasons. Also be careful when you hug the inside line of the highway because of cars that go wide in turns. Be safe fellow rider and have fun!

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@lemarck234 – I will meet you in Columbus, OH for that round of drinks!

And @theredrocket – I am glad you brought that up; distracted drivers. I feel additional responsibility falls on our shoulders to not ride distracted. I see a lot people talk about riding with earbuds in order to listen to music. I feel that takes concentration away from your surroundings as well as limiting what noises are audible within a helmet. It seems these individuals are the first to point out texting and driving is illegal in their state, but are completely alright with breaking posted speed limits. I could go on, but I’ll leave it at that.

@foreigninvasion89 – as far as learning the art of cornering, like a few have mentioned it just takes time. As a new rider, don’t try to drag a knee your first time out. Learn your bike and practice in an empty parking lot: free of people, parked and incoming vehicles. In doing so, you can get a feel for the bike while practicing figure 8’s.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Gonna watch the Twist of the Wrist video myself too – got an old one on VHS someone gave me too but it was all track based I recall.

Good advice from all you guys – experience comes with practice so not about to give up just yet!

Shame I can’t meet up for drinks too but it’s a long way for me to travel for a night out lol.

coming to the States in 2017 for the Solar Eclipse – not sure where yet but hopefully a grand tour along the line of totality so maybe 2 or 3 states lol. Won’t have bike; prob a fly drive package though

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Those of you who are out ridding, specially in California, great weather, hope you’re riding safe.

@theredrocket: are those the only two options? You’re dad had a great run, then some distracted driver had to blemish that, what kind of bike does your dad ride? I know there are many factors and situations that can occur when on the road…I’ve been driving 66% of my life and have only been involved in 2 collisions, both i was not at fault. i’m hoping that my driving skills will follow suit when i ride, but i know the risks. I know drivers can be idiots and i hope they never cross my path, but i spot them all the time, in my car. however, if it is a fall that was caused by my own doing…for example, leaning too hard. tensing up on the handlebars, or any of my other survival reactions..(yes I watched Twist of the Wrist. it was well done. oscar worthy for sure. gotta get the book now.) then i will hopefully learn and live…right @saturnv?

@94f2-08rr: you’re in the Buckeye State? that’s where i was established. took my parent’s one winter in Cleveland to pack up and head west towards the golden state. Been here since.
    so, I’ve been checking out helmets…the bluetooth capable helmets caught my eye, and the first thing i thought was “riding soundtrack.” you wouldn’t recommend that then, is that my understanding? because the “TopGun” soundtrack would be awesome to listen to while riding…Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins. Sweet! lol.
    and while i was looking at helmets, one of the guys that works there mentioned that a yellow helmet is more of a target than a fashion statement. he recommended dark helmets to stay hidden and out of sight. what do you riders think: true/false? I like that figure 8 idea…i know the perfect spot. industrial neighborhood nearby my work… on weekends and after work. EMPTY.

so, @saturnv: You should put California on your to-do-list. i’m sure you can rent a bike out here. Once, i wanted to flirt with ladies walking their dogs…ya, so i rented a dog for the day. hahaha. came with a leash and collar. Summer is on fire in California, and being from the UK…i’m thinking sun should be a priority. haha.

Deuces.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Hey @foreigninvasion89, already been to CA once but 1990, long time ago! My friends were working in Pasadena for a year so was visiting them. Did all the usual tourist things, rented a car and drove around Beverly Hills, Anaheim, Disney, even went out to Barstow and that mining town at Calico lol. Loved the Mojave Desert! Also drove down to San Diego for the Zoo and Sea World. Hung out in the Old Town drinking with sailors in some bar – survived to tell the tale!

Then went to Florida in 2000; similar story, typical tourist: Kennedy Space Center, Disney, Sea World, GatorLand.

Looking forward to going back next year but just haven’t worked out an itinerary yet… You’ll hate me for this and I wouldn’t ride one in England, but got the feeling to rent a Harley cos it fits in with the image of America for me – you know like Arnie in Terminator 2 lol.

Hiring a DOG!!!? Wow that’s a new trick to impress the ladies :) but won’t rule anything out at this stage – was hoping they’d just fall for my cute limey accent ;)

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@saturnv: lol Limey accents do it all the time. bro, riding a harley would be on point. the louder the better. truth be told, before picking up this CBR, i’ve always wanted to build a chopper myself. by the frame and wheels. build and engine and pimp it out…still will. one day. haha. Man in the 90’s huh? you came out to California? i was still in high school. nothings changed. except more malls and shopping centers. because 5 starbucks coffee shops in a 2 mile radius is not enough. Oh and the drugstore wars we have out here are ridiculous. seriously. ha.

p.s. I think out of your entire trip to California…the Mojave desert was the best destination, that and Old Town San Diego.

have you read anything about jetting here? i really want to know what that’s all about.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89

Yeah there may be articles on jetting – there are a few good ones on carb stripdown and cleaning specially a brilliant one by @Jules which saved my life well at least my tickover and revs throughout the whole powerband are much smoother since I followed that advice!

I like to keep it all standard spec on vehicles cos once you change 1 aspect of the picture it’s like opening a can of worms and you end up having to alter everything else to compensate. E.g. jetting affects the mixture then the ignition timing might have to be altered then the spark plugs may overheat or foul and what about exhaust back-pressure, etc., etc…

They did uprate the carb body and jet sizes from 1996 onwards I believe, but your manual or the write-ups here should explain all that. Check out these from Jules:

http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/cbr600f3-buyers-guide/
    http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/carburetor-removal-cbr600f3-1998-uk-version/
    http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/carburetor-strip-down-and-clean-1998-cbr600f3/

I did one on Carb Tune also :)
    http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/carb-tune/

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@saturnv: Thanks bro. i’ll be sure to follow these links today. going to give my bike a tune up later on…and attempt to fire it up. kind of excited to know if i have internal problems or not. keep you all posted.

heads up, y’all.
    deuces.

p.s. did anyone say hello to @brandip?
    fine, leave it to the new guy to make an introduction….
    Hello Brandi, welcome to the forum. what kind of bike do you ride?

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hello! I have a 2015 500R in Silver. I’m having fun looking at all the things i can buy for her lol

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Hi. that’s a beautiful bike…@brandip. are you a new rider or do you have experience riding? i am a newbie for real.

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I’m a newbie, other than dirt bikes when i was much younger haha, I will be practicing alot~

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Practice makes perfect @brandip. Get as much seat time as you can and have fun, but always keep your head up and on a swivel.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@BrandiP said:
    Hello! I have a 2015 500R in Silver. I’m having fun looking at all the things i can buy for her lol

Welcome to RideCBR.com.. post a new topic in Member Intros section to get a proper welcome. Glad you both signed up!

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@brandip: sweet. i’ve got the same experience…ATV’s and dirt bikes as a youngster…first time for a sports bike and i’m super excited. although, I gotta restore mine first. lol. glad you found this forum. and as for the boys here, they just needed a nudge to get to talking, but they are a good bunch. So, cool, we all look forward to seeing your bike, post some pics when you can. you’ll like this place, these riders are all friendly and helpful. thanks @admin! High fives all around.

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@ foreininvasion89 Thanks! Today my bike is being delivered :) I’m sure I will be looking for advice and have questions! 99% of my friends ride Harleys lol

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

haha so you’re the 1% that rides a sport bike. that just makes you extraordinary @brandip. I’m excited for you, so…was the bike everything you imagined? lemme see? did you post a pic of it yet?

i’m sure we’ll be crossing paths on this forum, asking similar questions maybe. learning the same thing. hey, has anyone told you about “A Twist of the Wrist?” it’s informative and entertaining. find it on youtube. apparently theres a book of the same title. might be worth the investment. i’ll stop with the banter now. haha. ride safe.

Deuces.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

There is also a second book, a twist of the wrist 2….

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@foreigninvasion89 – I have not been able to ride her yet because i need to have it lowered a couple inches “im a shortie” But I am very excited….the weather has been cold! I’ll have to check out A Twist of the Wrist.

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@brandip shortie wanna be a thug. seriously…so beautiful, and your bike is awesome too. ha. =)
    I had no idea bikes can be lowered. This excitement seem to be teasing us both. i’v got somewhat good weather. cold in the AM…warm all day, then cold in the PM, but my bike is out of commission till i get it dialed in, mechanically. I bought an ’89 CBR600F that i found parked in a garage for a billion years. lol. rotted tank and rust everywhere. i gotta clean it up and dust it off before i ride. its kind of building up like a first date. haha. let us know when you ride and how it felt. how your bike handled and how you rocked it..

c-ya.

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 – I personally do not ride with music playing. I am around loud noises almost every day and wear ear plugs. It also seems that hearing loss is hereditary in my family. Back in elementary school, I was tested twice a year or so for hearing loss. Now that I am older, I do what I can to save me hearing.

As far as Ohio, no, I am not a resident. I live across the border in Indiana.

I’m not so sure of the helmet idea. It seems that dark colors, black leather(s) and dark bikes, would be more difficult to see while riding at night.

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Welcome @foreigninvasion89 always nice to have those who are mechanically inclined on board. I have the knowledge (or just enough to get in trouble) but not the skill.

Good advice in this thread and there are plenty of videos on the techniques as well. As mentioned never ride beyond your skill level or your sight lines (look where you want to go not target fixate on what’s in front of you). Sounds like common sense until you get out there and want to ‘test’ things out which is always a bad idea on the open roads with so many variables. Good luck with the build.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.