breaking out of the cage…

RideCBR.com Forums New Member Introductions breaking out of the cage…

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kewlbreeze kewlbreeze 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@BrandiP said:
    Hello! I have a 2015 500R in Silver. I’m having fun looking at all the things i can buy for her lol

Personally I wouldn’t put too much $$ in it for a little while. I speak from experience when I say making it look pretty and then watching it fall in the driveway due to inexperience makes you feel ‘special’.

@94F2-08RR said:
    @foreigninvasion89 – I personally do not ride with music playing. I am around loud noises almost every day and wear ear plugs. It also seems that hearing loss is hereditary in my family. Back in elementary school, I was tested twice a year or so for hearing loss. Now that I am older, I do what I can to save me hearing.

I know it sounds odd but you can actually hear helmet speakers better with ear plugs in because it filters out the loud bike noise. You’re right though, it’s probably better not listening to anything to try and save hearing loss (though I don’t follow my own advice). My uncle used to ride in a jeep with the windows down for his work for many years and lost hearing in his left year due to years of wind going into ear canal. I think wind blowing into our helmets/ears is as much a culprit of hearing loss as the loud noises so ear plugs are a must.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I like the sound of my bike better than music while I ride. Being able to hear the RPM is a must, not to mention any odd sounds that may come up.

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@kewlbreeze that’s why I’m just looking :)

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’m no expert – far from it obviously if I can fall off for no apparent reason lol – but from what I’ve been told it’s better not to have any distractions because you need to concentrate on the road ahead, hazard awareness and perception. It’s not like driving a car where you need music to distract and entertain and stave off the boredom is it? On a bike you need to keep all your wits about you 100% of the time. Yes I use earplugs to cut down the wind noise really – even with then you still get a lot but it’s substantially attenuated which should help prevent deafness in later years, hopefully. I can still hear outside sounds with earplugs fitted, e.g. emergency services sirens, horns, even my engine noise.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

P.S. In a moment of madness I took a Pan (Honda ST1300) out for a test ride today – wanted to explore the serious touring bike options but wow that machine is such a beast (in a good sense!) Feels like a car (or truck) on 2 wheels. You don’t ride it, rather PILOT it – leaning in corners compares to steering a medium sized boat really!! But if you wanna cross continents without even breaking sweat that thing will do it with no trouble whatsoever :) Weighs over 300kg but doesn’t feel top-heavy – quite nicely balanced really but think I’d rather get something a bit lighter and sportier even if I do a lot of touring.

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@brandip that’s great if you got the will power. I know some that claim to just be ‘window shopping’ and somehow still buy something justifying it with “well, it was a lot less expensive than what I really wanted to buy”. er, um, that’s still buying though lol.

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I bought a license plate frame :lol:

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Is it bling? @brandip

Profile photo of brandip
    brandip
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

yes!! How did you know? lol

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@brandip had a feeling….

Profile photo of foreigninvasion89
    foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

haha. being away for a while stirs up funny AND informative dialog. thanks for the lol’s i had.

@kewlbreeze: @94F2-08RR: @74demon: & @saturnv: thanks for your input. I had a good feeling that music while riding would be distracting, and eliminating from the experience of the machine i’m riding and the ever changing variables around me. so, even with the helmet, ear plugs are recommended to reduce wind noise…how fast you fools going? haha.

@saturnv: I had to look that bike up. What’s the pan referring to? pretty sick bike though. although i’ve never been a fan to the carry on luggage look…does one really need the trunk space on a bike? haha.

@kewlbreeze: ya i got duped into the business of auto repair by my dad. He’s been a mechanic all his life. when i was a teenager, I figured he’d fix my car if it ever broke down. that didn’t happen. he gifted me my first car: a 1981 Fiat spider convertible when I got my drivers license, and said: “it’s a car. it doesn’t run, but with a few minor repairs, it will run. now go fix it.” and i did. and i sold it quick and bought a 1965 Chevy instead. much better for a young man in California. Right? and now…a SPORTS BIKE. can’t wait. I heard it run for about 5 seconds earlier this week.

Hey, while i’m spewing verbally, what am i looking for when buying a helmet? I mean; is there a more reputable brand for safety and fit? rating? What buckets are you all using? I’ve been reading and researching, and i’m at a loss. Why are some priced at $800 (ARAI) while others reputable brands are (SHOEI) $200-$400…and (HJC) $189.00. Are helmets like wine: the more expensive the better the taste? lol.

@brandip: Hiya pal. I don’t see anything wrong with personalizing your bike. But truth be told…You’re all the bling the bike needs. =) (ear to ear smile)

later, riders.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89, Yeah didn’t think you’d have heard of the Pan European over there lol. Guess they just call it the ST1300, same thing though. To us in the UK, the thought of crossing the whole of Europe in one go is a big deal! Over in the States think of it like jumping on a bike with all your luggage and going from coast to coast (Atlantic to Pacific I mean) without even blinking lol. That machine is a SERIOUS mile mucher but is it a bike in the sense of the word that we’re all used to/ I don’t think so… It’s a seriously functional and efficient means of transport for crossing continents but not really fun…

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 – I wear the plugs at all speeds; Interstate, state highways and city streets. Not only wind noise, but also the noise coming from the full exhaust system. Not that I’m complaining about that noise. It is just loud and I like hearing the exhaust tones. I feel weird riding without earplugs now; almost naked or vulnerable.

As far as helmets go. I’ve wondered that myself. Why, if both pass the same tests, what makes one “better” than the other. I do understand R&D plays a part, resulting in aerodynamic differences, weight variances and feature/options that are brand specific. I, personally, do not fall for the name: Aria, Shoei, etc. I feel a lot of people get caught up in the “image” of what you are “supposed” to have or show that they can afford a $700-900 helmet. Keep in mind that helmets and head shapes are different. One brand may fit an oval shaped head better, whereas another may fit a round head better. Do you know how to measure your head for sizing?

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@ForeignInvasion89 said:
    Hey, while i’m spewing verbally, what am i looking for when buying a helmet? I mean; is there a more reputable brand for safety and fit? rating? What buckets are you all using? I’ve been reading and researching, and i’m at a loss. Why are some priced at $800 (ARAI) while others reputable brands are (SHOEI) $200-$400…and (HJC) $189.00. Are helmets like wine: the more expensive the better the taste? lol.

Yes. No. and Not necessarily. :crazyeyes:
    Everyone has their own opinion on lids but it is one of the most important purchases obviously. Price doesn’t necessarily mean one is ‘better’ than the other depending on what you mean by better. Sometimes they are better quality but not necessarily any safer just as a $35k Volvo is no less safe than a $300k Rolls Royce. Some of the price is just name brand, some is supply and demand, some is just novelty and new model, some is type (modular, etc..), some is features (built in flip down sun shade, bluetooth communications, etc..). Some of the less expensive ones aren’t necessarily worse safety wise but can have other factors such as being much heavier which can cause fatigue on long rides, materials that don’t last as long (I bought one cheap one and couldn’t figure out why my head itched so much until I noticed the helmet liner was flaking off into my hair) or been way too hot, etc… Again though, that doesn’t mean expensive ones can’t have the same issues but is more rare to find those problems in the higher priced ones.

imo the order of priority I would consider:
    – Head shape: This will narrow down brands considerably as all make different shapes and the proper fit of the helmet is the most important thing when purchasing.
    – Quality/rating/reviews: Snell and/or DOT rated, etc.. One U.S. tested and one Euro tested… All use different testing methods so the more approvals the better. Reviews are important to see real world tests on excessive wind noise, how heavy it is, etc.. I can’t tell you how many times I narrowed my choice down and then read reviews and decided against a particular helmet. But at the same time as reviews are important, don’t rule one out just because of a few negative reviews; you can’t please everyone.
    – Pricing
    – Features/Colors/Aesthetics .. depending on your preferences: Is the visor easily removable; does it have easy to remove and wash liner/cheek pads; does it have enough venting to keep head cool in hot weather; flip down sun shade; bluetooth; what type of chin strap and is it padded; visor anti-fog and anti-scratch; chin guard; recessed space for speakers; etc… etc…

Bottom line answer to your question; no not really. Some models of reputable brands are way over priced and some lowered priced off brands are just as good and vice versa. Just got to do a lot of research to find a good buy. Again, most important thing is to try one in the store (even if you don’t buy it there) to make sure it is a good fit on your head.

Profile photo of foreigninvasion89
    foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@kewlbreeze: i never thanked you for that info…you answered my question perfectly…I’ve got my eye on a few…now it’s more of what is aesthetically pleasing. What I first thought was the right helmet, after a few weeks of looking at it online…turns out it really wasn’t purchase worthy.

Here’s another question: I want to modify this bike…same criteria as building/modifying a car? right? start with air intake…exhaust…fuel delivery…am I on the right track, or is there a different method with motorcycles?

Thanks in advance.

hope y’all are riding safe.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89

My experience is much more limited but I agree with @kewlbreeze on several points: head size & shape are really important and obviously every person is different in that respect so the ONLY way to be sure is to try b4 u buy… Reviews are good to inform you about general thngs such as noise and wind resistance, etc. but you won’t know if it’s gonna fit & feel comfortable from a web review / picture. Also I believe (though not sure) that the sizes may not be reliable (like everything else – shoes, boots, gloves, even T-shirts…) what one manufacturer calls L or S or M may be different with a different helmet company.

Also noise varies massively between helmets – often inversely proportional to the price and I do believe that the more you pay, the better quality and refinement you get but may be proved wrong. For example My Shoei lid was £350 (prob would’ve cost the same in Dollars) and although not perfect (and still quite a lot of wind noise at times) it is still MUCH better than the flip-top Caberg one I paid about 1/3 of that price. Also I wonder whether the flip-top ones are often inherently more susceptible to wind noise due to their design because with the exrta grooves and mechanism they can never be as smooth and aerodynamically sleek as the all-in-one full face lids

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Glad to be of help @foreigninvasion89
    I wish helmet manufacturers made it easier on us by letting you choose options after you narrow it down to your choice of brand and model but unfortunately majority of helmet purchases aren’t like cars where you can pick and choose what options you want to add on and you’re stuck with whatever the particular helmet you like wants to give you as options. booooo!

As to your other question I’ll leave that to the more mechanically inclined on this board but I do know regarding any performance mod their first question is going to be what the purpose of the mod is before suggesting a course of action. e.g. More top speed, more lower end torque, etc.. an exhuast for example is going to do much of anything for hp unless it is a light full exhaust etc.. and each bike has it’s own limitations to begin with so where to begin has a lot to do with the particular bike. I was happy with just adding a two bros pipe and a power commander, steel braided brake lines, lighter stronger chain and sprockets, ohlins dampner and calling it a day as far as performance mods go but that’s just me and most go far beyond that.

I forget how much experience you have but if you’re still relatively new I say the best mod you can make is to the rider and not to the bike. There are tons of experienced riders that can outride most any rider regardless of bike type or performance mods and this is much more so with bikes than with cars (i’ve seen it done when a rider on a modded liter bike was spanked by an experienced rider on a stock 250). So investing the time and $’s is better spent on improving skills imo.

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.