Carb Crud

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bambam bambam 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sjm205
    sjm205
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I recently rescued a ’91 F2 from it’s long, cold hibernation of at least 6 years. I knew the carbs would be ugly, but isn’t it interesting that each one developed a different color crud? I wonder if the down-draft mice droppings played some part.

Well, new battery has arrived. Air filter and tires are on order. Band new chain and sprockets were in the box. She should scrub up nicely in a few weeks.

Profile photo of kerosene
    kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Looks like rusted tank crud to me

Profile photo of sjm205
    sjm205
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thankfully the tank appears rust free. It will need a good flushing and the petcock is pretty much seized right now. The air filter rotted through and grew stalactites (or mites, whichever hang down) that dripped into the carbs. I’ve stripped the floats, jets, slides, etc into zip-locs but don’t want to separate the bank. It’s about time for the elbow grease.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It looks they will need a good long soak in carb cleaner. Sounds like you have the right idea here , just keep this in mind, you can do a real good job of cleaning things out but if you dont do the full soak , it might not get all of the tiny holes clean , especially the idle jets. It would suck to get everything back together and find out there is an issue. If needed , use a scribe to mark the carbs 1,2,3,4 and break them down so you can get them to soak in carb cleaner for a while.

Depending on when the last time this bike ran , it could also be ethanol related problems, If so , it will need a good bit of soak time- possibly days on end.

after re-assembly , be sure to do a good sync on these carbs so it will run right.

Good Luck Brother. F2’s rock!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.