Changing the clutch

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Changing the clutch

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rome83 rome83 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

So i just ran into this about a day ago. when i’m riding on high rpms or on the highway when the rpms are hitting 8-9k i can smell my clutch burning. my uncle says i need to change it but didnt elaborate when or exactly what i would need to change.

My questions are: How long do I have till I NEED to change them (tight in the budget corner, would probably have to sit the bike aside to save up for clutch.)?
    Q2: Do I just need to change friction plates and springs or do is it mandetory to change more?
    Q3: Do I just put friction plates in oil for a day or do i have to pour oil into there somehow? i know oil pours out when you take the cap off thats why im asking.
    Q3: what kind of gasket should i use?

Uncle recommended buying EBC clutch plates and buying complete kit. what exactly should be included in a complete clutch kit?

Many questions lol… Thanks in advance for your help.

Profile photo of poppy828
    poppy828
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Buy OEM friction and steel plates with springs if your clutch is actually going. Does the bike rev under load without actually pulling? Meaning, the bikes actual speed does not equal the rpm’s. If so then most likely the clutch.

Soak the friction plates in oil. Does not need to be over night. Just dip and install. Make sure you put the steel plates in correctly also. There are actually differences in the sides of the steel plates. The gasket should be able to be re-used, if not go OEM or use Hondabond if you are in a pinch. Will work fine.

It’s really an easy swap. Just take your time and make sure to clean everything up before installing the new plates.

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I hope these answer your questions.

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I dont know why it says “YOUTUBEYOUTUBE”. I didn’t type that and couldnt edit it off.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@ATX600rr “youtubeyoutube” automaticly shows up when you post something off youtube. to answer your question no that doesnt really help because its not changing the clutch thats the problem, its what exactly needs to be changed. I actually watched these videos a couple days ago but he replaces everything. I was just wondering if i had to do the same or just replace the plates.

@poppy828 the bike rides fine, its just when its at high rpms like 8+ then the clutch starts stinkin up… especially on the highway. i try riding only streets for now cause i can keep the engine at low rpms and i never use my clutch when im shifting up or down. just on take off. so I figure i can buy myself some time by riding that way. at least i get to ride.

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Dang, Hopefully they can be helpful to the the next person with clutch issues.

Profile photo of nico
    nico
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

You need to replace the plates and the discs at the same time. When you buy a kit you will get the full set. The springs can be retained provided they meet the minimum length (45.2mm) however most kits you can buy come with new ones anyway… and it’s not a bad idea to change them.

IMO clutch discs should be soaked overnight to give the oil time to penetrate the material, at a minimum give them four hours. You can get away with just dipping them in and it’s not likely to do any harm… but I just like to give them a soak.

EBC or OEM are fine, personally I stick with OEM. Expect to pay around $200

There is no gasket either… it’s just hondabond, or any suitable substitute.

As for the oil, some may come out when you remove the cover, but it’s not likely to be more than half a cup… even that would be a lot. Once you have the new clutch in and the cover on, give it overnight to cure then top the oil up to where it should be. Simple as that.

Only other thing to be aware of is if the basket is worn you may need to replace that… not sure what it would cost you though. They wear where the edge of the disc meets the basket… the discs cut little groves into it.

Hopefully that should answer most of your questions.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Nico thank you very much man! That was very helpful. just what i was looking for but you didnt answer all the questions. about how much more time till I have to change the clutch? Also you said to what overnight and top off the oil, you just mean the engine oil right?

poppy828
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Hard to say what kind of time Roman.

Honestly, the soaking of the plates overnight does nothing more than what a quick dip does. I have been wrenching on motorcycles for over 25 years and run a successful bike shop as I type this and have not soaked clutch plates over night in the last 10 years or more. Just not needed, but to each there own.

Do yourself the favor and replace the springs. They have to come off to remove the plates, so you may as well replace with new.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

i see, with the oil though, I just make sure engine oil is level after im done with everything? the oil from the engine goes into the clutch too right?

poppy828
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Yes. Make sure you have the correct amount of oil once buttoned up.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

awsome! Thanks sir!! off to change my clutch :-D

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

man i need to invest in a camera and tape everything i do to the bike. that would be real nice for review and tutorials.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.