Checklist of To Do items when buying a used bike.

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Checklist of To Do items when buying a used bike.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of atx600rr atx600rr 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’m about to buy a used bike from a dealership, 07 1000rr.

Can anyone give me a check list of things to do before riding?

I’m going to change out all the fluids, but anything else I should do to get ready for the season?

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Check all cables, make sure nothing is binding up and that your throttle snaps back.
    Check brakes for wear
    Check brake lines, Grip your hands around the line and squeeze (press down) the brake, you are feeling for any swelling of the line. If the bike is new or close to it you will probably be fine.
    I like to check for any signs of bolt removal anywhere on the bike.. Honda bolts get deformed pretty easy so it should be pretty easy to tell.. Depending on the bolts that have been removed can give you indication of things that have been worked on and then determine if you still want it…
    The bike I just bought had all the faring bolt removed but nothing else… Oh and if your anal like me this can get expensive.. I just bought all new bolts… 87 bucks

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Good write up. Thanks.

And damn $87 on bolts! You are more anal than I am, and i’m pretty bad (good) in my opinion.. lol

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

$87 woot. I mean, you got to do what you got to do…

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thanks for the tips Broccoli. I’ll be sure to utilize them when I am looking around for bikes to buy.

Profile photo of arrison24
    arrison24
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

check that chain!

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

How do you check the chain? Just visual check?

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

1st look for cosmetic flaws as they can show you were to look next in many cases. Next check all visible fluids (brake and oil), clean brake fluid is clearish with a slight yellow tint and oil should not be dark brown or black if its fresh. Check the cables and levers for slack, the levers should have a slight amount of free play before the bite. Ensure the throttle snaps back forward after it is released. Make sure all lights and gauges work. Look at the brakes and make sure there is atleast one indent left in the brake pad material. Check the chain and make sure it is clean and lubed, has minimal rust if any and has about 1 inch of slack in the center(up or down). Dont forget to check the tires to make sure they are not at the wear markers. Lastly look up the value of the bike using KBB or NADA so you don’t get rode hard and put away wet by the dealership. I’m sure I missed someting but its hard to have a calm head when buying a new toy.. Trust me, I missed a step or two myself. GL

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Great write up!

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Also, check the carfax report.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.