Cleaning the baby

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Cleaning the baby

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dubv dubv 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bbenjamin21
    bbenjamin21
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I had no idea where else to post this question so hopefully it’ll get some reaction here. I’ve got the 08 graffiti edition and was wondering what you guys would use to clean it. Since its not a gloss paint Im not too sure what to use.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

The basic; hose it down, bucket w/ hot water + sponge it down, then dry with an old t-shirt eliminating water spots.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Not sure what the brand is, but I use a product called Motorcycle Wash. It’s the same as car wash solution but it works fantastic. You can get it at Pep Boys. It works really well on road grime. Just make sure your hand towel or whatever your using is new or clean. On the plastic parts, I use Pledge. I’ve tried a million other things but I use Pledge on everything that’s not painted and never had a problem.

Profile photo of bbenjamin21
    bbenjamin21
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I figure I don’t need anything that will help it shine cuz its not going to lol. With it being flat black.

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yup just did a quick wash after i cleaned chain and just used soap and water and i have to use chrome polish for some of my chrome parts but i have a flat black bike as well and i feel as though i dont have to be as meticulous due to the color

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I use mequires gold carwash applied with a microfiber bristle sponge thing and dry with a shammy. If you use dish soap it will take off all wax, along with grease .

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

sandblast it to a shining perfection!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I just picked up pledge to try as a quick polish. I wash mine with some standard car wash soap (Walmart) and use a gel bug and tar remover for the nastiness. I have two wheel brushes, even though my rims are black, for brake dust and dry the whole thing with old towels. I go over the hoses and the unpainted plastic with Armour All for a “like new shine” every couple of weeks. And yes, my wife says I’m obsessed with the bike… I figure I spent good money on this toy, I want it to look good!

Profile photo of 09redblackrr
    09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Im with you Jason my wife sais the same thing to me, and she sais i love my car and bike more them her… well at least those things dont talk back!

Profile photo of kpru
    kpru
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

If my bikes real dirty I’ll use the bucket and hose, but most of the time I just use some spray n shine and a cloth

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

For bug, tar, and anything else that may cling to my baby I use a Mr.Clean magic eraser. It will take off just about any thing. To be honest it’s all I use. A small bucket of warm water, the eraser, and a microfiber towel. And finish up with a spray wax.

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

ICE ftw. But I do use the magic eraser on wheels.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

meguiars has every type of motorcycle cleaner ever! i got a case of like 15 types off amazon for just around 30$ but dont think they have it anymore

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@ inkslinger You can use it on the rims, but I do them last. My rims have a textured finish, and it chews the eraser up. I really haven’t found anything that works well on my rims. They don’t keep that nice black look. Once they dry they look almost a dark gray.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@dubv Have you been over the platsi dip? I would do your rims in that watch all the videos in this link

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I would try the turtle wax ICE in a not so obvious place to see how it turns out. When I do my bike I get it on the seats and every thing and they look just fine after, you just have to spend a little bit more time buffing off any extra. Even with the flat black paint, it would be nice to have a barrier between the paint and the dirt and ellements to fight back aginst wear and tear on it.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@Jason Owens I hear ya about the wife. Mine calls my baby “My other. Bitch”. She even got me a decal that says it as a joke. Jokes on her I put it on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.