Crash Thread

This topic contains 43 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of spdygak spdygak 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Describe your experiences here and share with others so we can learn together!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Happened 4/9/12- It finally happened today. We were running out to the Grand Bear golf course down here in MS that has 6 miles of twisties leading to it. On the way out I came into a corner, hit a little bit of sand and tried to straighten up to brake. Didn’t brake fast enough, hit the shoulder and low sided into the dirt. Lucky for me I had slowed enough that my bike only flipped from the left side to the right and didn’t roll over again. I think it was probably the handle bar that hit my arm (thus the bruise). Definitely could have been worse for me and the bike. It happens in a blink after what seems like a eternity when you know you are going to crash. Lots of scratches, found one small crack by a fairing bolt and a stress mark by the widscreen. Only break was in the lower fairings at the point they meet right behind the front tire. Filled the frame slider with dirt and lots of sand in places. The tip over killed the engine. What I take from this is how lucky I was since I don’t have leather pants yet and shouldn’t be hitting it so hard without all the right gear (frickin newbs again). At least I wasn’t in a t-shirt and shorts…
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Okay, after much soul searching and review on the forums, you tube and (finally) watching
    Twist of the Wrist II I have come to the conclusion I never should have slowed to straighten up and brake while watching the ditch I ended up in. Chopped the throttle and target fixated myself into the ditch. I knew it was rider error but now I can say with confidence exactly what I did and have lots to practice when I go out again. Encourage everyone to watch this video AND read the book. The sooner you can understand these concepts the better off you are!

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I had a friend years ago in Alaska that had a Gixxer1000 and he was a full gear guy and never had an accident. He was riding his mountain (pedal) bicycle when he went to hop up over the curb his wheel fell off. He was not wearing a bicycle helmet and his head hit the curb. He was in a coma for months and did not survive. I only say this because you never know how accidents can happen. There have been stories in the news a lot lately with motorcyclists getting killed hit by cars (and my wife send them to me everytime) I’m glad when any of us live to ride again.

Profile photo of 600dblr
    600dblr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@jasonowens…It’s good that you realize your mistake but the best advice ever given to me before I started riding (and I stick to it today)…Never get on your bike without gearing up!…invest in some quality gear. It only takes a split second to go from being on two wheels to “in a ditch” as you were…you are very lucky my friend…ride safe, alert, and responsibly. Glad you’re here.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I have my helmet gloves and jacket but I need to get riding pants and real riding boots, not just random “over-the-ankle” before I run hard through those twisties again! I always wear jeans but that doesn’t really mean much. Last year (first summer) I was in shorts a lot. *Frickin newbs* I try to watch a lot of crash videos on YouTube and read all I can to help keep my aggressiveness in check. Hittin the ditch really helped. I consider it a reality check.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

i’ve been in an accident as well recently… I feel very fortunate to be alive especially after reading what happened to your friend (sorry for your loss bro). Sometimes i dont even understand how lucky I am to have had the situation fold out the way it did. novice mistake but we live and learn. Glad your ok Jason and hope you really got your lesson from what happened and never forget it. I believe everything happens for a reason. hope we can all learn from each others mistakes.

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Long story Short I crashed my 09 GSXR 1k on the mountain near my house, and should have died multiple times in my accident thank god for my gear and my guardian angel.

When I crashed I was going 100mph down the mountain hit a turn that was sharp (had a fast double apex) and when iIwas in the middle a stupid bird flew over the ridge, by the time I saw it the bird hit my bike and without thinking I popped my bike straight up in the turn hit brakes just in time to slide sideways in to the G-Rail my bike slide across it till front tire hit the wooden barrier, I was holding on to my handle bar so tight and the force sudden stop I broke my left handle bar off then flew head first in to the G-Rail it then my head slid over and had my neck slidding across the rail, after the rail my friend who was in front of me the entire time said when he looked at his mirrors all he saw was me 20 ft in the air bouncing off the ground (mind you this was right before he took another turn in a matter of seconds) so when he did a uturn he thought he would find me at the bottom of the MTN somehow I didnt I ended up underneath it and on the edge just about to fall off if i turned the wrong way. Out of all of that I got a badly bruised Left wrist and Road Rash

Times I should have died….
    1. If I didnt hit brakes and turn bike sideways I would have gone over G-rail to my death at the bottom of a 50-100ft drop
    2. Head hitting the G-Rail at those speeds.
    3. Slice my neck open on G-Rail.
    The pictures of this whole incident are on my FB just add me and youll see when you look

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Man baca glad your ok! guess not too many ppl live to tell such incidents. thank God your ok and I dont have a fb. maybe most a pic or two when you get a sec.

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

The things we do to enjoy the things we love! Sorry for bad grammar and writting im all about face to face not writting.

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

you can tell what class I failed in lol

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

ha sucks that the things we love aren’t painting or writing or gaming (at least im not big on it).. but then i guess they have their own problems but 99% of the time not life threating lol

same here bro… im in the same boat. not a big fan of txting either.

Profile photo of 09redblackrr
    09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Only real bad accident ive been in was on 495 highway here in MD on my buddies old Gsxr when he was to drunk to ride. Was riding back on the highway some back traffic formed and this douche in a sedan cut me off by jumping in at the end of a merging lane ( you know those assholes that wait till last second…) well so when he jumped over he slamed on the brakes, and since im not on my buddies insurance i was f’ed majorly… so i slammed on rear brakes and started applying front brake, and noticed i wasnt going to stop in time and just laid the bike over… I wasnt going that fast so it wasnt a bad fall… what scared me the most was being in the middle of a huge highway and getting run over by some big 18 wheeler…. sucked big time.. and caused about 500 dollars in damage live and learn, god i hate people that dont pay attention.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

man glad your ok bro. coulda been bad! what happened after you laid it down. did the dude that cut you off leave?

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

One of the many reason why I dont let other ppl ride my bike.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

the way I see it, it was his friends fault. and sorta nothing he can do in that type of situation.

now that i think about it, i let to many ppl ride mine. gotta do something about that.

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I dont let ppl ride mine because if they drop it the I hold them up to paying for the damages. If I drop it then I can be mad at myself.

If I know I would have been drinking anywhere then I would have not taken the bike or if it was a place I could I would leave it over night.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

+1 agreed

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Also for those of us that can’t afford full insurance…….not letting your friends ride is a smart idea

09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Yea the dude who cut me off kept going.. lucky the guy behind me had enough room and through on his flashers, he helped me get the bike off the highway quickly. I also paid for all the damages, as i was still responsible for what happened, so i wasnt gonna skip out on my friend and honestly I forced it cause it would have been much worse if my friend tried to ride it home.

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I say it was his fault for not thinking ahead. He was the responsible party not you. I wish I had you as a friend tho. You are a good friend.

09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Yea i agree he should have thought ahead. It was a few years ago. and thanks for the good friend comment. The kid wasnt the smartestt thing havent talked to him in awhile but i think he totalled the bike, it was a nice gsxr kinda depressing.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

happens man. Same thing i said about my first bike.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@bacaboy – Agreed. I have experienced riders say all the time they wanna ride mine and I’m not so sure I could handle that! Much less the guys I have never seen on a bike claiming they know how… I’m glad to hear the good news when people heal and road rash heals. You were very lucky also!
    My Dad just had a friend and his wife that just got hit yesterday here in Alaska on their cruiser. They both broke a leg in two places and he is in the hospital getting his ruptured spleen removed. Alaska has more bikes per capita then anywhere in the US. Crazy how fast it happens and can happen at any time to anyone!

09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Yea @spdygak im with you i dont let anyone touch my bike regardless of experience, mainly because I wanna be first to lay it down cause it will happen eventually :P and i just know with the people i know they wont pay for damages they cause.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

**BUMP**
    do you want to share you experiences? IMO it’s important to keep in mind the dangers of riding but not let the paranoia hold you back. Best to keep your eyes open for those that don’t

Profile photo of crash
    crash
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

About 7 months after getting my first bike (’07 600rr):

First Lowside March 21st 2008:
    Causes: Riding over my ability, Too confident too soon, Showing off infront of the camera, Playing around on new suspension settings (Video below: fast forward to about 1:45 for the crash)
    Reason I walked away from it relatively ok: Full Track Gear!

2nd and last lowside October 2008:
    Causes: Riding like an asshat
    Results: Rearend my buddy on his RC51 at 75+mph in a 55mph zone. Had on boots,helmet,jacket. Minor road rash on knee and butt from jeans not holding up to 100+ foot slide on pavement. Thankfully, he managed to keep the bike up and ride it out.
    Lessons: Stop riding like an asshat on the street, take it to the track because you’re not only jeopardizing your own life.

Since that last accident; it was a wake up call for me. I have done some street riding since but not much….Started going to the track in 2009 (I believe) and haven’t looked back! Went Track-Only in 2011! Haven’t had any accidents since my wake up call even at the track, though there have been some close calls :) (knock on wood)

Profile photo of woo545
    woo545
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I had three crashes in relatively short period of time, during my learning period.

Keep in mind, I bought my ride after it’s been sitting for 9+ years (original rider died of cancer and I bought from his brother, a co-worker/friend). The bike didn’t run when I bought it and it took me a couple months to learn how to fix it and get it up and running. Probably about the 2nd time I took it out, I took a spill in McDonald’s parking lot. Even though I went to check the tires about 3 different times, I always got distracted by something else to fix. I found out after taking it to get inspected that I was working of 10 lbs or less air in the tires. Plus the tires were extremely old, so grip wasn’t the best.

A few months later, my 2nd accident was when I was heading to my buddies. I was coming up on blind curve, when a tow truck coming the other direction, made a left. I had enough time, so I set up for the curve and midway through, the Tow Truck stopped and immediately started backing out to turn around. I went closer to the line, but being a newb, I felt I had to bleed off speed. So I stood it up and braked then turned immediately afterwards, but by this time I was off the road on some grass running along side the road. During the turn I noticed their were police in a driveway off the curb, where the tow truck was heading. I thought, “crap”, they’ll pull me anyway for being off the road. So I grabbed my brakes and the bike went out from under me due to me being on the grass.

3rd time, about a year after the first accident, I’m heading home from getting it inspected. Funny, I had the feeling that morning that I shouldn’t head out on the bike, but I did anyway. The left turn lane just opened up and I changed lanes for the left, but the Beemer in the right lane wasn’t acting quite right as she was slowing to stop for the red light with the other cars going straight. I stayed back and made sure she was going to stop. I then rolled on throttle. Right when I was coming even with her back bummer, she swerved into my lane. I braked hard and swerved closer to the barrier on my left to avoid hitting her. I highsided and ended up with a big contusion on my thigh. She had stopped. She claimed fault for the accident to the police. Fortunately the damage wasn’t too bad, but the cost of replacing the plastic would total my ride. I told the insurance adjuster that I can replace the parts for less via eBay, so they gave me about $2500 and left it at that. That fixed ALL of the damage sustained from all 3 crashes.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So my second time over yesterday and I’m gettin a lot of flack from my friends- haha

I was riding down the beach in the left lane, working on the picture game, and this guy on a cruiser was in the right lane. That idiot slowed down so I thought he was switching lanes AND HE TURNED LEFT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! I locked up the brakes and was trying to avoid him but his rear tire hit my front and over I went. I was cruising about 50 but I probably slowed down to less than 25 when I went over. I landed on my hands and knees but my gloves kept my hands clean and I rolled over and jump up yelling and cussing at that fool. He stopped and was walking over saying “oh man, I didn’t see you” NO SHIT! (standard cager excuse) Why the hell did you do that?! You don’t turn left from the right lane!! He helped me stand up my bike and then I called the cops. He was saying something about it being his dad’s bike he was riding. He was wearing a tank top and the half helmet and obviously didn’t ride much or he would have seen me and wouldn’t have been slowing down in the middle of a two lane street that is notorious for drivers cruising at 60 when the speed limit is 45.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

So I’m just pissed off that he messed up my fairings. I just hope the insurance company gets it taken care of and I get new paint. I have to wait for the police report and my insurance was closed yesterday. Does anyone know if my insurance contacts theirs and gets it fixed or if I have to go after them?

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Dam man that sucks. It was coming together nicely. At least he stopped though, but that’s kind of fawked up he obviously saw you if he stopped? Get him to pick up the bill and order a whole new set.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.