Dash Issues

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cbrtom cbrtom 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I have a 1999 CBR 699 F4. It has 11000 miles on it.

This all started when I installed my HIDs. But that has since been eliminated as an issue. Also thought me dropping my bike might have caused it. I put the kick stand down, and the block I set it on broke and the bike fell before I could catch it. But I’m not sure.

When I turn the key on, on my bike. No gauges will work. The odometer will read either 0 or 1. If I disconnect the battery and try again, they will work And my miles show 11390, which is correct. Say I ride down the road 10 miles. It will count. I turn the bike off, and it goes back to one. Disconnect the battery, and the miles go back to 11390. Strange huh? Well if I do NOT drive more than a mile, or where the odometer rolls over, the gauges and everything will continue to work after turning the bike off.

Someone told me the speed sensor, but I just don’t think so. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1999 CBR 600 F4 - Rocket Red is her name!

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sorry to hear your having issues. What was the issue and how did you resolve the issue when your hid’s gave you problems?

I would lean towards the VSS also. First double check the connections to your cluster and VSS. My 2000 F4 had electrical issues due to old/weathered wiring. Some of my wires were broken internally and ran continuity tests and replaced the bad wires. Also check your VSS for a pulse before spending the cash if you find a different issue.

Let us know what you find out and good luck.

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

For the HID’s, I called the company I ordered them through. They sent me a CANBUS adapter and that resolved most of the issue. I still have issues with them flickering. They also cut off for a split second when going from HI Beams to LO Beams.

I’ve checked the connectors on the dash. It’s tight. I can’t even get it off to clean the connectors. Unless anyone has some tricks to it?

I’m not sure where the VSS is on this bike. I’m still learning. I’m going to do some digging when the sensor gets here. I’ve already ordered one. I knew someone who had one on a bike with 3,000 miles on it. He totaled the bike out, and I’ve gotten a lot of good parts off of it. My farings are scrapped up pretty good, and unfortunately, so was his. But that is a project for this winter!

Thank you for the help!

Tommy

Profile photo of itinerant
    itinerant
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Have you checked your earths (grounds)?

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I’ve checked a few of them. I’m unsure of how many grounds this darn thing has! Do you have an idea to point me in the direction I should be looking?

Thanks!!

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I got my new speed sensor in today. So I’m going to put it on today and give it a try. While I’m digging around in there, I’m going to check all my grounds, and clean all the connectors with electrical cleaner. It’s not stopping me from riding her, but it sure is a pain in the butt!

EDIT: Put the new speed sensor on. It didn’t fix it. I ran out of time yesterday but I worked a lot of overtime. So I’m going to check my grounds, connectors, and wires tomorrow. I’m certain that it is a wiring issue. This will be a good lesson learned when I figure it out!

Profile photo of kerosene
    kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Grounds could be the culprit.

Not sure how your speedo works buT the f4i guaves have a speedo cable and then another that pics up the rpm, when i was wiring up koso guages it worked in a similar way, on both if the ground wasnt clean the rpms would jump all over the place.

Also take into accoumd it could be a mattr of the cable popping out of the connector, i wired up a new connector for my f4i guages to be safe…. But thats on a f3

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

It’s not just the rpms that is doing it. The speed, RPM, or heat gauges won’t work. The odometer will sit on 1 and not count any miles. If I undo the positive battery terminal, then it will work. If I drive so the odometer rolls over 1 mile, and I shut the bike down, I have to undo the positive cable again to get it to work. I tried a new speed sensor. I took off my HID’s thinking that may have been an issue. Nothing so far. Can anyone point me into a direction of some grounds to check? I know there are several. I have it torn apart right now. But it is my daily driver, so working on it can become a challenge in its own.

Thanks in advance!!

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I’ve cleaned every connector on the bike I could get to without a tear down. I’ve checked every wire I could get to. I’m going to try removing the HID kit completely, ballast and all. See if that does any good. A guy at a local Yamaha shop (where I buy my tires and some accessories) told me he thinks it could be my regulator rectifier. I’m not so sure about that. I’m going to do some tests first. Then pull a good one off my buddies bike and try it.

Thanks!!
    Tommy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.