DIY SPY 5000m Alarm/Remote Start Install & Review (video and pic)

RideCBR.com Forums Member How-To Section DIY SPY 5000m Alarm/Remote Start Install & Review (video and pic)

This topic contains 30 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of thylosene thylosene 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Guide to installation of Spy 5000m alarm and remote start! There is really nothing out there so Im going to explain the way I did it with tips and pictures! *I am not responsible for any damage done so do at your own risk (I fried my computer the first time I did it). The bike is a 2007 cbr600rr but you can use this for other years too but wires may be different– pm me if you need help.

Lets get to work:

1. Remove necessary parts– DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE BATTERY!

2. Hide all the equipment and run the wires – I used space under the seat and in passenger seat (when I installed the Led the whole was too large that I drilled so I lined the light with tape to secure it).. Dont forget to add heat shrink to protect the wires and keep them organized/compact **I moved some of my equipment than pictured to be better hidden**

3. Yellow wires – Splice into bikes turn signals (light blue and orange wire in photo)

3. Blue wire- Splice into bikes red/yellow wire on large relay with main 30amp fuse (This is what starts the bike and I think its the starter relay but correct me if im wrong)- Blue wire is for remote start

4. Brown Wire- needs to go into any of the bikes key on positive so I spliced into one of the wires on the back of the fuse box (i think it was one going into the headlight/turnsignals/ horn relay but use a test light to find one) — it is the red/black bike wire

5. Pink and Gray wires are the ones that confuse everyone the most so here is how I did it — You need to find a wire that is hot when the kill switch is on and turns off when the kill switch is off (use a test light!) I found a red wire (it was solid red but it looked like a white or silver dot on it too) that goes in the back of a harness on the right of the battery. Once you find this wire you have to cut it and connect the gray to the side going from the harness and connect the pink to the side going towards the harness (I soldered the wires & dont forget heat shrink or some sort of insulations)- i believe this is the immobilzer but I am not sure of its purpose! This part may not be necessary (some people advise not to do it..

6. The red and black wires — are attached to the battery last (use an adapter thing at the end of the wires to secure the connection -mine are marine ones) *there are two grounds in this set up so dont be confused that you have two black wires, both are grounds although I did not connect both to the battery (One is connected to the frame)**

7. Your spy alarm and bike are now set up! Check all connections and start playing with the remote! I have a digital copy of the manual as well so pm me if you need that.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

***THE BIKE WILL NOT REMOTE START IN GEAR AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE KICKSTAND DOWN contrary to others beliefs***

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

so glad you threw this up here man!!! AWESOME!!

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Fantastic write up!!! I’m making a how-to section and just moved this thread to it. Thanks again.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

okay sweet as long as I dont have to re-write it lol

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Awesome write up!

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thank you so much Quinton for taking the time to make this detailed write-up.

Profile photo of 09redblackrr
    09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

great write up man, I need to do one on my bike asap

Profile photo of freekman
    freekman
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

How do you like the alarm. I was thinking about getting a Scorpio, but this seems cool though

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Nice info, thanks. Let us know after a while if there are any qualms about it.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@shoichirohonda hes had that on his bike for a good while now, im gonna do it to mine soon..gotta get somebody to wire it for me!!! lol

shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Just wondering about things, like battery drain,

Does it have a cool chirp for arming it,

Distance to receive and work the remote,

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@Aidan I love it and would buy it again!
    @Schoichirohonda

battery drain is minimal
    Watch the video and you can hear the chirps
    remote distance is not impressive but enough for me (the alarm works regarless of of remote distance)

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie
    Profile photo of freekman
    freekman
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

cool thanks might pick one up

shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Quinton Teter

I don’t see the link for the video, where’s it at?

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I thought I had put it on here.. So here it is

shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Quinton Teter, Thanks!

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

yeahhhh, fuck…I need a DIY for idiots on this….lol..

Profile photo of e92651
    e92651
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Please help!!

I have a gsxr 600 and just bought this alarm but I’m having a few issues..

I installed the basics, both black, red, yellow and brown..

Alarm works, lights work… Now I took the blue cable and attached it to the relay harness. ( pink and grey are not connected) and when I push the button to remote start the the two blinkers turn on and that’s it.. Does it have to do because the pink and grey are not connected?

Also my microwave detector does not work.. ( the black box) the light will not turn on at all. There is the option on the remote to turn it on and off but still won’t work and detect anything. I checked ans re checked the plug n play connection and it looks good. Is there a way to check if I got a defective one?

Does anyone know where to plug the silver and pink cables on a gsxr? Also has anybody had any issue with communication from the remote to the unit? Sometimes I’m next to it and it won’t connect at all.

Thank you

Profile photo of droulfred10
    droulfred10
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself quickly. I’m a 34 old men coming from Belgium loving cycling, biking and electronics.
    I’m interested in buying the 2 way motorbike alarm with pager function for my bike (2010 Triumph Street Triple R).

I have a question regarding the remote start function
    Before asking and for your information, I had already installed this alarm on an old “simple” Volusia 800 (i.e. bike’s electronics was very simple). This bike hadn’t had to perform a self-check before pushing the start button to run the engine.

With my new bike, I have to wait a couple of seconds (2-3 seconds I guess) before I can hit the start button because the bike is performing a self-check.

If I press the start button during this self-check period, the engine will not start.

My question is: how to manage this self-checking period with the alarm? Do you have the same with your CBR?

(On my previous bike, I hadn’t had this issue because when I press the start button on the remote control, the bike ran instantaneously (no self-check to be performed)).
    Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards,

Fred

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I have never heard of the self check..

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Efrain:
    Please help!!

I have a gsxr 600 and just bought this alarm but I’m having a few issues..

I installed the basics, both black, red, yellow and brown..

Alarm works, lights work…Now I took the blue cable and attached it to the relay harness. ( pink and grey are not connected) and when I push the button to remote start the the two blinkers turn on and that’s it.. Does it have to do because the pink and grey are not connected?

Also my microwave detector does not work.. ( the black box) the light will not turn on at all. There is the option on the remote to turn it on and off but still won’t work and detect anything. I checked ans re checked the plug n play connection and it looks good. Is there a way to check if I got a defective one?

Does anyone know where to plug the silver and pink cables on a gsxr?Also has anybody had any issue with communication from the remote to the unit? Sometimes I’m next to it and it won’t connect at all.

Thank you

You have to press the start button either 2 or 3 times

Profile photo of droulfred10
    droulfred10
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Quinton Teter:
    I have never heard of the self check..

Hi,

See following video to see what I mean by “self check”.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=fCFjEzUZtyU&NR=1

At 0:26 sec, the guy puts the key and only starts the engine at 0:31 sec. During the 5 seconds, the motorbike is performing a kind of “self -check” (and the fuel pump is pressurized)….and I’am not sure he can run his engine during this period of time.

So, no issue for you when you start the engine with the remote (no timer added?)?

Thanks,
    Fred

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Efrain:

I have a gsxr 600

That’s your problem right there. lol

Profile photo of got2bnu
    got2bnu
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Spy 5000m, mod, 2004 Cbr1000rr. 

Instead of remote start ( I’ll never need) I hooked pink wire to 12v red wire going to alarm,
    brown wire to LED lights I mounted around bike. 
    Push the remote start on fob twice, lights up perimeter LED’s, to turn off, push disarm button twice, lights off. Then push dis-arm one more time, your turn signal lights will flash twice.

Note:
    While your lights are on, your alarm will not sound or activate until you turn off perimeter lights, then re-arm your alarm. 

Auto re-arming trick:
    if bike keeps resetting your alarm, after you dis-arm, activate your shock sensor( I knock on my seat three times), bike then stops re- arming, 
    otherwise alarm thinks it was an accidental dis-arm, and re-arms for you.

Profile photo of 600f4i
    600f4i
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

op is it possible to run this kind of alarm system without wiring the ignition ? i’ve got a similar system on my bike, only installed the cpu and siren so far. plan to get the wires for the turn signals done soon but i don’t plan on messing with my bike’s ignition at all.

problem is even when the alarm is disarmed and i turn the bike on and crank her up, the alarm re-arms itself and just goes nuts. any idea how i could keep this from happening ? if i have to bite the bullet and do the ignition, i will. i just wanna know if there’s any alternative (crossing wires, etc)

Profile photo of ungerone
    ungerone
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I have a 2008 1000RR and want to install a spy alarm. Are the wire colors and locations the same as on the pics of the 600 in this thread? If not does anyone have pics/install instructions for the 08 1000RR? Please let me know.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

bike wiring is very similar across the board @ungerone. Your best bet is to get the wiring schematics for your bike. Locate on the alarm where you think you should attach each wire and label them with tape you can ask specifically if you are unsure. The wire that get cut is the most confusing IMO. The rest is fairly straightforward. Once you have verified the wires you are using then hook it up and test it. I could help you but it’s easiest if you get the wiring you are sure of first.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.