Electrical issues…

RideCBR.com Forums Specific CBR Model Discussions 600 F4i Forum Electrical issues…

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bambam bambam 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jaded13640
    jaded13640
    Training Wheels

Hi, first post.

I have an 04 CBR F4i.

It was filthy so I washed it today before going out for a ride. I’ve never had an issue with it since I got it a month and a half ago but about a mile down the road I hit a substantial bump and the fuel injection light came on and the tach went to zero but it was only for an instant and caught back up and all was fine…till the next bump. I figured oh well, something got wet, it’ll blow out in a few minutes. No such luck after an 80 mile ride with it doing that many many times, whatever got wet didn’t dry out.

It’s as if I’m hitting the kill switch and turning it back on. When I rinsed it off I did not have the key in it so I figured the ignition was pretty safe. In reality getting it wet, under normal circumstances, shouldn’t bother anything. It’s bike. We get caught in rain all the time.

So I brought this to the specific CBR F4i forum because I’m wondering if there’s a common weakness on this particular bike. Like maybe a harness bulk head connector that is a common issue. Maybe moisure gets into the back of the info screen. Maybe the ignition switches aren’t sealed very well from the factory.

If anyone can think of anything specific that I should look at first. I’d really appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I’ll be tearing all the shielding off and checking out everything. Which is fine but it would be nice to have a place to start.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Wayne

Profile photo of fishfryer
    fishfryer
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I almost never wash my bike and when I do I cover all the gauges and switches and whatnot. I have no idea what to tell you except if it were me I would disconnect the battery and roll it out in the sun. It seems like you got a connector wet and should look into some dielectric grease when you get the time.

Good luck and hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in.

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sorry, another one that isn’t going to be much help (hopefully someone who can give some tips will chime in) but I just wanted to say I’ve washed my bike often for 10 years and never had an issue. Even used car wash pressure washers :crazyeyes: and not covered anything and still no problems. Is it possible you loosened something while washing it? I’d start by looking in the kill switch area you mentioned to see if somethings not tight. While it’s on and you’re not riding jiggle it around a bit (and the key) to see if the problem recreates. Otherwise you’ll have to go through the electrical diagnosis which can be a bit of a pita.

The F4i is rather bullet proof but it is getting up there in years so anything is possible.

Full disclosure; mine is a 954 but a lot of the parts are same as 600.

jaded13640
    Training Wheels

Thanks Kewl. I kind of expected someone to say, “you shouldn’t wash it”. I have to wonder what they do when they get caught in the rain.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Have you checked to see what the code is??? Usually a good place start and attack the source of the fault…

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I know it sounds simple but have you checked your battery connections and grounds? It would seem less likely to me that something randomly got wet because it is kicking off and back on. Is your kickstand loose? Maybe the switch on the kickstand is cutting it out on a bump. My friends gixxer was doing that a few weeks ago. He had to zip tie the switch out on a ride… Of course that’s a gixxer tho – haha
    Good luck. Chasing electrical can be a beech

jaded13640
    Training Wheels

CBR-f2, I have not yet located the diagnostic port. Where is it and is it an OBDII system?

spdygak, Now that’s something that hadn’t occoured to me. My first thought was kill switch, then ignition, then harness or harness bulk head connector. For whatever reason I didn’t even think of the damn kick stand kill switch.

Thanks guys.

It’s supposed to rain for the next several days so it’s a perfect time for me to get this worked out.

Wayne

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Im not exactly sure since i only have an 01- 03 manual, but does your FI light flash when turning on just before u r about to hit the starter button? Also to do this kickstand must be down of course… Hopefully u can count how many times it blinks and that should be your current code… If not there should be a self diagnostics plug under the seat which u will need to make a jumper wire to perform… I hope this helps…

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Honda has one minor weakness as the bikes get some age, and miles on them. The connections in the wiring harness… With my 929 I have seen a few issues. You might want to try finding most of you major harenss connections and simpley disconnect and reconnect them 2-3 times to clean the connection up a bit and knock down any corrosion. the last time you pull them apart, spray them with some sort of heavy mineral oil or use a thin brush and old school vasoline to seal out air and moisture. In a pinch PB blaster or WD-40 is better than nothing. I dont know for sure that this is your problem, but sooner or later it will be an issue, It will help to rule it out and get a head start on it for future riding. it will also help seal the connections from water problems……Like washing.

jaded13640
    Training Wheels

@hubbard2a said:
    Honda has one minor weakness as the bikes get some age, and miles on them. The connections in the wiring harness… With my 929 I have seen a few issues. You might want to try finding most of you major harenss connections and simpley disconnect and reconnect them 2-3 times to clean the connection up a bit and knock down any corrosion. the last time you pull them apart, spray them with some sort of heavy mineral oil or use a thin brush and old school vasoline to seal out air and moisture. In a pinch PB blaster or WD-40 is better than nothing. I dont know for sure that this is your problem, but sooner or later it will be an issue, It will help to rule it out and get a head start on it for future riding. it will also help seal the connections from water problems……Like washing.

Thanks Hubbard. I took the side cover off and started checking things out then I pulled the seat off to see where some wires went and there it was, loose negative battery cable. I tightened it up and the problem went away. I wish I had thought of taking the connections apart and putting a little dielectric grease on em but I didn’t think about it. I put the cover and the seat back on and test rode it. All clear.

Thanks for all your help.

I have one more question regarding oil checking. I didn’t get a manual with the bike and the service manual doesn’t get into detail about this.

Are you supposed to see oil in the sight glass while the bike is on the side stand or are you supposed to pull the bike up level?

When I changed the oil I put in the proper amount and it read full on the side stand but only for one ride. Now if I pull the bike level the oil is right in the middle of the two lines on the sight glass and hasn’t lost another drop.

Thanks,

Wayne

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@jaded13640 You should have lines on the case cover beside the sight glass. These lines represent the high and low oil levels in Liters I believe. so If your using bottled quarts of oilIt should leave you with an odd amount of oil left over. If your using REPSOL or any other euro oil bottled in liters then it will come out exact. Your manual should tell you how much oil it takes to fill the bike, I try to run near the high line when I change mine just for the most oil volume. But any where between the lines should be fine. The hardest part is having the bike level to fill and check if you dont have a rear “race” stand. It can be done though. Either have a friend hold the bike or if your really brave and sure of your self hold the front brake in and lean down to check the level. Rear stands make this childs play, so if you have one great! If you dont….tthey are a great investment !

jaded13640
    Training Wheels

Yea, if my bike is on level ground I just crouch down look into the sight glass stand the bike up so that it’s level.

But that was the question, does it need to be held level to get an accurate read between the two lines?

Unless I misunderstood your comment, the answer is yes. And that would explain why I lost oil by overfilling it a little and hasn’t gone down since.

Wayne

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Check oil with bike level.
    Rear stand may help if alone.
    (Don’t drop your bike checking the oil)

Check for water at the plugs.
    You may have powered some water in there.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Good advice given here, like Hubbs said, a rear stand is killer for maintenance , and most certainly you need to have the bike level as mentioned when checking the oil level, it will show no oil in the case when leaned over on the side stand. I bought a cheap one for $50 at harbor freight-works perfect.

A side note on WD-40 – keep in mind that the “WD” stands for *water displacement* , the stuff is great for lots of uses , but primarily , it is an excellent tool for driving water out of tight spot connections. Ive seen similar issues with water getting into the plug connectors and causing issues, i like to use compressed air to blow them out than look for any corrosion , if corroded , i use CRC contact cleaner to clean (and like Hubbs said, plug and re-plug a few times) , then dress with a little dielectric grease(like fish mentioned) and replug, fixes poor connections in most cases.

Glad you got it fixed brother and welcome to the site.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.