F4i Winter Clean-Up

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads F4i Winter Clean-Up

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kennmcook kennmcook 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 01cbr600f4i
    01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Hi all, I’ve been floating around these forums for a few months now and have come to appreciate a lot of the builds everyone has taken on. So much so that I thought I would throw together updates on the revamping I’m doing through the snowy months here in Nova Scotia.

I bought the bike in the summer, and did a few things before I started riding it. Fluids, speed sensor, fender eliminator and integrated tail light. But overall the bike was in decent shape. My plans aren’t too extravagant this winter, mostly cleaning up and servicing the few odds and ends I hadn’t bothered with through the summer. Plans so far are;
    -Brake overhaul, caliper rebuilds, new pads, rotors and stainless flex hoses
    -Shorty Levers
    -Headlight to replace the unit the P.O. had fiber glassed.
    -Powder coat or paint the wheels, not sure which route I’ve decided on yet.
    -Clean up foot controls and rear sets.
    -And of course some RideCBR.com decals to finish everything off!

I’m sure the list will be added to and modified. I’m lucky enough to work at a repair shop with lots of resources which will be very helpful through the process.

Here are some pictures of the caliper tear down to start.

I’ll keep everyone updated on the projects as they continue.

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Did you get the calipers sandblasted? I want to paint mine another color but not sure if I can just primer and paint over the gold.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Very nice… Always fun to see others projects and what they do. :drunk:

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Plan is to have them sandblasted and possibly powder coated. Unfortunately the sandblaster I have access to had been accidentally left about 6 hours away from me and I bought some paint last night. The itch to paint them may overcome today.

Also, some parts have been starting to arrive in the mail, pics will be up soon.

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Another quick update;

Once I managed to drag myself out of bed this morning (Very merry Christmas party last night) I got over to the bike and pulled the wheels off and removed the tires, rotors and cush drive.

<a href=”http://ridecbr.com/wp-
    content/uploads/2014/12/IMG_1377.JPG”> <a href=”http://ridecbr.com/wp-
    content/uploads/2014/12/IMG_1378.JPG”>

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I didn’t bother with the sandblasting or powder coating on the calipers. The powder coating process turned out to be a lot more than I had budgeted and I had some spare time and gave them a nice paint instead.

The calipers are all painted now, few coats of paint and clear coat. Let them cure for a few days and I’ll be able to throw them back together with new seals. I was pretty happy with the results, I’ll have to see how they last through the riding season though.

New shorty adjustables showed up in the mail just before Christmas too, I’m interested to see if I’ll like the short length over the standard.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Wow! That black looks great!

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Its called metallic graphite grey, when I bought the bike I think the P.O had painted some plastics still mounted a grey and the over spray on the frame and brakes took on a similar color. I liked the way it looked I just wanted it to look nicer.

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Very nice! I want to paint mine red. I will do it once I get time to pull them off. Not ready to throw in the towel on riding for the season yet.

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I don’t blame you @theredrocket! I had a few weeks of cold weather and decided to store the bike, then the weather turned around on me completely and for a few weeks after we were seeing 10C.

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Well the clean up continues…calipers are all put back together and wheels are painted, I’m pretty happy with the results of each!

The last few days I’ve ordered new rotors, grips, braided lines which I hope get here soon!

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Lookin good!!! You gonna ad some reflective or non reflective rim tape for some added look. Or leave them be?

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Good question @cbr-f2! I was thinking the all black wheels might need a little something extra. What does everyone think?

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Well progress has been super slow. I’m stuck waiting for 90 degree valve stems for the wheels before I can start to put everything back together. Most parts did make their way to me though. Front and rear rotors, CoreMoto stainless lines.

I also picked up another project to keep me busy on the side.

It’s a 2012 125cc chinese pitbike. I bought it as is for $150 with the kickstart not engaging. Took it to the shop and tore the motor down to find the bottom gear on the gearshaft stripped. Ebay luckily found me a whole other engine so I should have the little thing together soon as well.

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Man oh man this project got slow haha! Been waiting on some 90 degree valve stems for the wheels from Ebay. The first set was lost in the mail so I ordered another which should be here soon, then everything can start to go back together. I’m starting to get a little anxious as well because the snow is starting to melt!

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Hope you get your parts soon! I bet your antsy to get your ride on asap.

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Alright here’s the big update! All my parts are in and I found some time to get to work on the bike. I started off and got the wheels and tires back together with some balancing beads I’m going to try out. The rotors got bolted on after that.

The valve stems I waited forever to arrive, after I got these installed the original ones I ordered finally came.

Wheels back on! Things are starting to look good I think.

And the calipers.

I had a pretty difficult time sliding the rear caliper bracket around the rotor and into the mount on the swing arm. But eventually it went together. I think it might have been the wave in the rotor that was binding me up.

Thats all for now. I have the lines installed but I wasn’t 100% sure if I had them installed correctly so I didn’t bleed the system yet. I’ve also still got the rear sets to go back together and on and a new set of grips.

Adjustable shorty levers.

New grips to replace the “sweet” flame grips the previous owner installed.

And a new lid to top things off.

01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Well here is the last of the pictures from the winter months. I finished everything I wanted to and just returned back from my second trip of the season. Everything is working great! I was really suprised how well the balancing beads have worked. I can’t say I noticed better braking with the new lines and such but it was also several months in between driving with the two.

Thanks @admin for the sweet RideCBR gear too. Decals look great on the tail fairing and the key tag suits it perfectly. Perfect finishing touches!

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That’s awesome. She looks great. When I made the silver decals, I told them to base it off of your color scheme paint job.. they look great too! Thanks for the support. Ride safe.

Profile photo of kennmcook
    kennmcook
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Sweet! Looks great.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.