Favorite style of riding?

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Favorite style of riding?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sdm1 sdm1 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What is your favorite kind of motorcycle riding style? Track, street, mountain, farm/country, or something else? I prefer day long mountain and farm/country riding myself. I am fortunate to be within less than 30 minutes of mountains and even closer to farmland. Riding fast in a straight line is ok, but I think most of us prefer the challenge of running twisted through the mountains or some old twisty roads through farmland.

But what is YOUR favorite riding style.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’m all about the mountain roads. I don’t even like taking our freeways, 3 and 4 lanes wide and jammed with idiots for the most part, to get to the curvy stuff. I really enjoy the fresh air, smell of the trees, and the challenge of all the different turns. 4.8 gal of therapy….. Better and cheaper than any shrink.

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Now that my youth is behind me I don’t really care about challenging rides anymore and enjoy mello back road rides more (esp. on way to a beach somewhere). If it so happens to be a bit twisty here and there even better. Absolutely hate freeway rides like everybody but if it is a means to get somewhere enjoyable I’ll endure it which is still better than taking a vehicle there and unloading a bike imo. So, in summary, at the risk of being a hypocrite to what my bike was intended for, my ideal scenario is: Early in the day; Temps somewhere in the 70’s to low 80’s; sunny with breaks of shade once in a while; a slight crisp cool wind; while we’re wistfully wishing I’ll go and throw in a request for brief slight sprinkles here and there just to cool you off once in a while; back roads with scenery that’s not too boring …. don’t really care what … could be open landscape, trees, whatever …. but best is if it a bit random and not too monotonous; at the front end of a trip with a long time left before having to head back to the grind; and a general destination in mind but not specific.

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Now that I write that, that damn poem is stuck in my mind from that Volvo S90 ad:

Song of the Open Road Related Poem Content Details
    BY WALT WHITMAN
    Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
    Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
    Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
    Strong and content I travel the open road.

The earth, that is sufficient,
    I do not want the constellations any nearer,
    I know they are very well where they are,
    I know they suffice for those who belong to them.

(Still here I carry my old delicious burdens,
    I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go,
    I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them,
    I am fill’d with them, and I will fill them in return.)

…Rest of it here if you’re interested

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That’s why I picked up an ST1300, I can run distance on the hwy(if I have to) or run mountain and country roads in comfort. . . I still have my F4i, but it finds itself sitting more and more since I have a super comfy option that can take the turns just as hard. . . .with way less maintenance. . no chain to clean or lube(shafts drive), tires last almost 3x longer(use q3s on my F4i and Battlax 020f tires on my ST) and it has integrated side cases. . . .I love my F4i, but if I had gotten an ST to start I probably never would’ve gotten a sport bike. . .

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I live in, what some call, the middle of nowhere. In civilization, but far enough away from about anything you’d want. A decent 15-20 minute drive from a McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Burger King, a movie theater or bowling alley. While I don’t have to take an interstate/freeway to the places I like to ride, sometimes I will just for the fact of making up time. My favorite road is almost an hour away. I’m lucky enough to be able to take a state highway, two lane (one lane each way) road. I prefer street; not necessarily rural due to equipment and what they leave behind and not necessarily city. I like curvy roads. Living in the Midwest, I am hard pressed to find canyons, but we do relish in the finding of curves, hills, trees, rivers/creeks, farm fields and everything else you see in calendars.

Whatever style of riding that I do, I prefer there to be little traffic. If I am on my favorite road, I don’t want to be held up. Riding is typically “my time” and I like to get just relax.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I agree, traffic can sap the fun out of any ride. I do most of my riding during most people’a working hours on weekdays so that really cuts down on traffic…

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sport touring bike with shaft drive, etc… would be ideal and I’ve been eying 1200 RT, FJR and a few others but due to Un petit problème of a tight budget, the current bikes triple duty of commute, tour, twisty will have to continue until cash flow improves or I find a deal that’s hard to refuse. Hey, at least I added a few things like a bar riser to provide the budget friendly version of a touring bike. I know it’s not the same but better than nothing.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The police department I work for just recently made the switch from Harleys to the BMW k1200rt and everyone in talked to loves it. I lucked out and got my 04 Honda ST1300 abs model with custom seat, heated grips, aftermarket windscreen, auxiliary lights, accessory power outlets, and helibars for the same thing I paid for my F4i. . $3500, had 71k on it though. I’ve seen guys with over 300k on their STs. . . There is a guy I went to the academy with that’s selling his fjr, 2005 I believe for around the same price. He is too short to ride it comfortably. . lol. Don’t tell anyone but my F4i is actually up for sale right now (listed, but in no rush).

kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Looking for an older good value low mileage touring bike would be the “wise” thing to do. I put wise in quotes because I don’t always choose the wisest option. I’m stubborn in that when I buy one my minds set that it has to be newer, low mileage (don’t want to mess with too much maintenance) and hopefully with some necessary added options .. all of which will not come cheap. Hence the reason for putting it off. This past fall I came very close to buying a semi-sort-of touring bike … well not exactly a touring bike but much more of a touring bike than my current one.

I found a deal from a guy in North Carolina selling his fully loaded 2015 BMW F800GT with all the options (premium package) plus some nice custom add ons (heated grips, givi locking luggage, electric wind screen, x-mount phone mount, etc..) with only 2k miles (another “wife said must go” sale) for only $8500. A screaming good deal considering a new one costs around $14k plus all the misc. junk fees. However, the day I was to drive out there to look at it and make the purchase if everything looked good he called me that morning and said a guy just bought it that morning. Those type deals do come along but not very often.

The only good thing though is that after putting off purchasing a decent touring bike with the right ergos for longer miles, and after making some 1000+ mile trips on my current one, I’ve built up a bit of tolerance to what should be totally intolerable. Not that I want to keep doing it but just saying at first when I started doing longer trips I thought it was going to be impossible to do for much longer. But now that has turned into 5 more years of doing it anyway which is just a long way of saying lack of funds makes you enjoy things you wouldn’t otherwise enjoy (or I guess just another version of the old saying “necessity is the mother of invention”).

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I know, I’ve wanted an ST since I had my first CBR (94 f2) back in 2007. I just didn’t want to drop 18k on a new one. . so I put it in the back of my mind until last spring. I found a ton and a few really good deals on lower mileage bikes than the one I ended up buying, but like you they either sold before I could get there or wanted too much for what they had. I looked at it this way. . .the ST I got was the one I was meant to have. . .and close to 7k later I’m still loving it!!

Profile photo of lemarck234
    lemarck234
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I like having a good time on the highways. High speeds still give me that little kid feeling when the dotted lines turn solid. I also love riding some challenging mountains. Mentally and physically being exhausted after a solid 10-20 mile mountain run is a blast.

But the real enjoyment for me comes from the long sweeping curves rolling over the country farmland. Aim for the hills, no destination in mind, and getting lost is almost always a goal. Road conditions aren’t always the best, but at the end of the day it’s the best experience for me. I posted a good example of the countryside roads around me.
    Enjoy!

JeanLemarck - Survival of the Squiddest

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’m not too big on high speed on the highways. . . looks bad when a cop gets pulled over for speeding. And if I get a ticket I have to notify my chain of command and send a memo to the chief of my department. Not worth the risk for me. . .

“Dear Chief,

I was pulled over today on I95 by Virginia State Police for doing over 100 today. . ”

professional courtesy in my line of work only goes too far. . . . .

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

only goes so far. . . auto correct isn’t so correct some times. . lol

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I used to be all about the mountain riding curve carving good times, but now with so many riders dying on the roads going up I have changed to more track. My CB1000R is by no means a great track machine, I really lack the horse power to keep up with the modern day RR’s, ZX10’s, R1’s ETC, but I still have a blast. They leave me on the straights and I fight back in the corners. I do my best to stay with them, but cant. I honestly feel much safer on the track then carving the roads. I know whats around the next turn, I dont have to worry about a car or bike passing on a blind turn.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.