Fitting a Quickshifter to an RR5!

RideCBR.com Forums Aftermarket Part Discussion Fitting a Quickshifter to an RR5!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of smalls1000 smalls1000 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of oakleyspatz
    oakleyspatz
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

First off, I just want to say that all these manufacturers who claim fitting a quickshifter is “easy to install” should be sued under the trade description act!
    I’ve never fitted one on any other bike but on an RR4/5 Blade it is a complete nightmare.
    It took me 8 hours to finish and you have to basically strip the bike down to nothing to do it.
    Firstly you have to remove the side fairings, the fairing stays and lower stay, the front wheel and then disconnect the radiator and lower it so you can gain access to a cover which needs unbolting and unclipping.
    Then you need to remove the seat, tank cover, unbolt the fuel tank, raise and support it, remove the airbox top cover, the injector bank, the middle airbox section, the air filters, the velocity stacks and the lower airbox section.
    Then you can access this cover that you unbolted from the radiator side, unclip it from another section under the airbox and move them away to see the ignition coils which you need fingers of an anorexic child to access. You then need to unplug the 4 coils, plug in the quickshifter loom and route the cables to the battery.
    Then you need to connect the shift rod and quickshifter sensor.
    Finally you need to put it all back together (after testing it works of course) remembering where every little screw, bolt and fastener goes.
    Easy install my ass!!
    Worth it though!!!! 😜

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Okay, I want one.. but maybe not anymore lol

oakleyspatz
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Haha…..apparently they aren’t that difficult on other Blade models, just the RR4/5 and possibly the RR6/7 as they are very similar.

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

How fun is your bike now though? Worth one day of headaches to install and now forever fun!

oakleyspatz
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Indeed thredrocket, like I said at the end …..Worth it though! 😜

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@oakleyspatz what brand quickshifter did you install if you don’t mind me asking. I have always thought about getting a quickshifter. I already have a power commander and was thinking of sticking with Dynojet for the quickshifter but for my bike Dynojet says I need to have the quick shifter module or the secondary fuel module.

oakleyspatz
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Hi smalls1000′
    I’ve installed a Translogic is4 quickshifter which is a plug and play model meaning it needs no other components to work and configures itself once connected. The problem was getting to the plugs to connect it! Translogic’s previous model was the QS4 F series which works indentically to the latest is4 models but can be picked up far cheaper second hand. Great piece of kit

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@oakleyspatz I think I have heard of this QS, if its the one I’m thinking about it is an expensive QS if you buy it new. Does it work well? Seamlessly shifts with no hesitation or problems?

oakleyspatz
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Yes it is quite expensive new but watch eBay for used bargains! I’ve never used one before so can’t compare it to others but it is seamless and super smooth. There is also an option called ‘Pro Tune’ to adjust kill times, sensitivity etc should you feel the need but mine works great. During shifts there is no hesitation, no lunging, just seamless changes…..it really feels like the bike just has one very tall gear now that goes from standstill to warp drive in an instant. This is my baby before fitting the QS.

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

That is a very clean bike, what kind of roads do you ride that bike on? You should get @admin to make that picture into a signature. He knows how to do all the shrinking, strechting stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.