Fixin to Buy New Tires

RideCBR.com Forums Wheel & Tire Discussion Fixin to Buy New Tires

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mikewalls mikewalls 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hey Guys/Gals,

I’m fixin’ to buy a new back tire, or possibly front and back if I get a deal. My back tire is worn, and the front tire looks brand new.

What are y’alls preferences?

I’m going to be doing a lot of cornering, with about 25% highway riding. Will be a mix of 60% dry, 40% wet pavement. Some gravel, but the gravel will be very slow riding. I live on a gravel road :(

I don’t care how the tread looks. Not really worried about price either.

I’m currently running Michelin Pilot’s. I like how it rides, but did not wear as well as I’d liked it to.

Thanks!

Tommy

1999 CBR 600 F4 - Rocket Red is her name!

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I love my Q3’s when my bike was running. Sadly its in the garage taken apart

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

They handle fairly well on the wet roads? I’ve been told by a few people at work, that I would love the Q3’s.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Q3’s are a good wet road tire. I can’t say I have ridden in the rain many times with them, but the times I have, they have kept traction and have done me well. The carbon fiber inserts give me an ease of mind if I run over anything.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Also Motomummy.com was running a great deal on a set of them that i could not pass up.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Carbon fiber inserts? What do you mean?

I may end up trying a set out. I really don’t need a front tire, but I may buy one anyways, just to have a match. The one that is on it now, appears to have no wear on it at all.

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

So I ran into a problem yesterday. I noticed that my tire started to have wires showing in one spot. Then the tire busted. I had to have a tire right then. I found a bike shop that had my size in stock. It is a Continental ContiMotion. I figured, what the heck. Tried it out some yesterday, and been riding all morning (since 630am). I actually like it pretty good. It sticks to the road nicely, especially on these wavey bumpy roads in the mountains. And it rides exceptional.

I am going to buy a match set probably around the spring of next year. Probably going to go with the Q3’s. I’ve been watching them, and found a nice set for a good price. May go ahead and buy them, just to have them!

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Q3’s are a great set of tires. Great traction, but I can’t speak for their thread life, then again there so cheap for what you get you can’t really go wrong either way unless you just wanted mileage. Which I don’t think anyone has ever advertised Q3’s as long lasting mileage tires.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I just recently replaced my rear which was a q2 with a q3. . I ran my q3 for 7k. . Was new last March and replaced it last month. The q3 is supposed to last even longer. Here are some pics of my q2. Probably could’ve gone longer but I picked up a nail and was losing about 5 lbs of air a day. Also had angled aluminum valves installed as seen in 2nd pic from top. So far biggest thing I noticed from q2 to q3 is that they seem to turn much faster. <ahref=”http://ridecbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/20150720_073439.jpg”>

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I only do street riding and no track days so this is highway and back road riding. As you can see from the sides I am not the most agressive rider but never had a slip in wet or dry weather. Once rode for 30 minutes in a thunder storm to work with the q2 at 60mph with no issues.

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@nueyf4i said:
    I just recently replaced my rear which was a q2 with a q3. . I ran my q3 for 7k. . Was new last March and replaced it last month. The q3 is supposed to last even longer. Here are some pics of my q2. Probably could’ve gone longer but I picked up a nail and was losing about 5 lbs of air a day. Also had angled aluminum valves installed as seen in 2nd pic from top. So far biggest thing I noticed from q2 to q3 is that they seem to turn much faster. <ahref=”http://ridecbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/20150720_073439.jpg”>

Damn running it pretty thin there in the middle.

Profile photo of cbrtom
    cbrtom
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

My Pilot I had on, was worn down pretty good. I don’t like running tires like that on my truck, let alone my bike!

Profile photo of mikewalls
    mikewalls
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I have heard really good things about the Q3 as well. I’m planning on putting those on when I replace my tires in a few months.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.