FORK SEALS

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nueyf4i nueyf4i 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of darkmarc33
    darkmarc33
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

HELLO ALL,

NEW TO THE SITE HERE. I HAVE 2008 CBR600RR, I AM IN NEED OF FORK SEAL REPLACEMENT, IS IT SIMPLE ENOUGH TO DO MYSELF OR IS IT EASIER TO TAKE THE BIKE INTO A SHOP (NOT EASY ON THE WALLET FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN FINDING OUT). ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED.

-MARCUS

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Impossible question to answer without knowing the level of your mechanical abilities.

Can you get the front wheel off and forks out of the bike?

Profile photo of mike666
    mike666
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@DARKMARC33 said:
    HELLO ALL,

NEW TO THE SITE HERE. I HAVE 2008 CBR600RR, I AM IN NEED OF FORK SEAL REPLACEMENT, IS IT SIMPLE ENOUGH TO DO MYSELF OR IS IT EASIER TO TAKE THE BIKE INTO A SHOP (NOT EASY ON THE WALLET FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN FINDING OUT). ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED.

-MARCUS

I recently took my 2010 1krr to the stealership to get a safety done. I needed the front fork seals replaced. I believe they charged me 3 hours of labour and materials plus taxes.

labour: $300
    parts: $50
    taxes $45

total: $395

I you feel comfortable working on the bike then look into a triple tree stands, fluids and tools. I would have done it myself but I didn’t want to waste valuable riding time.

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I did mine about a month ago. A lot easier than you would think, just take your time and make sure everything is seated correctly and you’re using the correct fluid levels for the forks. I used a step by step youtube video for reference. Depending on how much you are able to improvise you may or may not need a few of the special tools.

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I just picked up an ST1300 on the cheap and it’s gonna run me $450 to have the front forks rebuilt. . All in all its still gonna be a good deal, but just don’t have the time to do this myself. . Gonna drop it off before I go on vacation and pick it up when I get back. . It’s worth it to me for the time trade off . .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.