Fun with liquid nitrogen

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Fun with liquid nitrogen

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of theredrocket theredrocket 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Just some work fun. We are using the liquid nitrogen to shrink large bearings for the installation into the line bores in the case in the video. Just thought I would share as I thought it was cool.

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I might need to put it up on youtube and create a link. If you click on the pic it should direct you to the video. Sorry, I am a mechanic not an IT guy. If that is the correct term for a computer guy, I dont want to offend @admin or anything. Like calling a midget a midget is bad and little person is right.

Profile photo of thebearded1
    thebearded1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

On the other hand, it gave the shop floor some wicked cool effects for a few minutes.
    I always thought that the liquid nitrogen would make the metals brittle – the same as intense heat after tempering…I guess I’m wrong?

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Not as extreme I guess……But we Just bought a Box or dry Ice to shrink a Threaded nozzle one a Filling machine at work to remove it with the threads damaged……That night we were sitting in the shop putting dry ice in cups and pouring scallding hot water on it and making killer Fog with it in much the same way. I had some cool vids, but I think I erased em all a few days ago……….

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@thebearded1 Drastically reducing the temp quickly does increase the brittleness of steel. But its not like in the Terminator where they freeze him and smash him to a million pieces. The bearings we were installing are 60 pounds each and about 14″ diameter by 5″ wide. It takes another day of work once the bearings are installed before were ready to test run the equipment, by that time they are at ambient temp. I put one of my 3/4″ combo wrenches in the tub and tried to smash it and nothing happened :( @hubbard2a thats a good idea, I will keep that in m mind. Normally I use my torch to heat up the fittings, bolts or nuts. Sometimes you cannot use heat or you can damage manifold o rings and internals, freezing would be perfect for that. I hate drilling out old fittings and such.

thebearded1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Dig it. I had forgotten about the Terminator thing, nice recall. Thanks for the ‘splanation.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Cool share bro –

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

BTW I am not the bald guy in the video. I have hair hahahaha. Shop joke as I am the oldest in our shop but have the most hair, well short hair but no bald spots. @bambam thanks I have fun at work.

thebearded1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Methinks we have a serious contender for the Epic Beard Title ^^^^^^^^^^

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So Jake, if that’s you, I wonder what @thebearded1 looks like!! :mrgreen:

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

thebearded1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Hahaha here ya go @jnsracing me and the girlfriend at Luray Caverns last month.

thebearded1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

And with the full winter growth….

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Look out Billy Gibbons, your replacement is ready, just needs the hat, and the shades!! 8-) :mrgreen: :lol:

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@thebearded1 @jnsracing This is my current length. I cut it due to my daughter always using it for a handle or swing. Last time her fingers got caught in it and was like a chinese finger trap,it took awhile and help from my wife to free her up. I cut it 5 minutes later.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.