gas 87 octane vs 93 octane. . is there really a difference?

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse gas 87 octane vs 93 octane. . is there really a difference?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 74demon 74demon 2 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’ve gone both ways but haven’t really noticed a performance difference. .was running 38mpg with 89 but was also running harder, I have gotten 50 mpg since switching over but also riding more conservatively. . Hear higher octane should run cleaner..ideas?

I know the extra 30 cents isn’t a big deal since I’m only filling up 4 gallons at a time, but am still curious. .

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It’s for preventing knock/ping, whatever you want to call it, in higher compression motors.. its not really a “performance” thing. You don’t gain power buy using a higher octane, unless in the sense that your motor may run like shit with 87. Does it make a difference if your bike is all up to par, taken care of and maintenance? Probably not. I believe most these bikes do call for 91+ though, and they are in a relative sense high compression. That being said over my years of riding, and 5 road bikes Ive owned, I have never got anything below 91. I have the $ and the mpg is good enough on these things I get 93 every time if they have it. If they don’t have at least 91, I go elsewhere.

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I meant 87 vs 93. . My manual says use 87 but I’ve been running 93 since my last tuneup. . Figured if nothing else it should burn cleaner and it still oy costs me around 10 bucks to fill up.. lucky to have lower than average gas prices even though we’re so close to Washington dc. . Regular is at 2 a gallon and 93 is running around 2.25. .

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Are you asking primarily about cleaner, power or mileage or all 3?
    I have no scientific evidence but my own experience showed very little to no difference on any of the 3. Oddly enough, if anything, maybe slightly better with the lower grade.

My bike’s manual says it was engineered for 89. I trust the Honda engineers so I now just go with their recommendation. Another thing is that even if using same grade not all gas is equivalent. Some stations fuel has more cleaning detergent additives, etc…

p.s. Personally I think gas itself probably has the least effect on mileage versus clean air filter, tire pressure, etc…

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Is there a difference? Yes.
    Does it make a difference in our bikes? No. The compression is not high enough to require higher octane fuels.
    Are they cleaner? No. The additives in the fuel help a little, but an efficient motor has the largest impact.

The higher octane fuels are not as volatile at lower pressures. Since our engines are not high compression, the more volatility of lower octane fuel, the better. That is, until it becomes too volatile for our compression ratios (old gas).

I read somewhere that gas loses 1 octane point per week. How long it sits in the stations tanks and your tank before use, makes a huge difference. Always fill at stations that are busy enough to replenish their supply often.

There is some confusion when looking at the fuel requirement label on the bike. It will say it requires 91 RON. RON is different way to calculate the octane rating that is used in some European and Asian countries (like Japan where our bikes are made). 91 RON is 87 AKI here in the states.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.