Gear Position Indicator

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Gear Position Indicator

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of golsonca golsonca 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Has anyone fitted the GIPro gear position sensor to their CBR? I’m thinking of getting one for the CBF first but that is connected directly into the diagnostics connector whereas on the older CBRs (F3 like mine) I think they have to connect to the speed sensor and the ECU so I just wondered whether anyone has successfully added this display and does it work reliably and consistently to show the correct gear you’re in or is it at all flaky?

Thanks,
    Tim

Profile photo of kerosene
    kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Hey Tim,

I’ve seen it done on f3 track bike, personally I’ve never done the install.

I don’t really see a point if you’re not doing track, you can feel and hear everything the bike is doing.

http://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/universal-gear-indicator-f2-128894/

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Got one yesterday and fitted to the cbf:

Agreed it’s not essential but a good toy and particularly useful to stop me looking for ‘7th’ gear on the motorway! Easy to fit and setup too…

Profile photo of kerosene
    kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

did you wire it yourself?

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes on that bike it was easy cos only one cable which comes with the right connector to plug straight into the Data Link Connector (DLC) which is basically Honda’s name for a diagnostic plug. The reason I was asking generally was because on the older CBRs (i.e. F3) without a proper ECU you have to get a different model of GIPro which you connect to the speed sensor and the Ignition Control Module so probably not as straightforward as on the CBF1000… my CBR is still in the corner at the back of the garage where it’s sulking and waiting for me to turn my attention back to the fairing replacement lol. Unfortunately the replacement fairings still aren’t 100% I’m going to have to reject at least 1 panel again :-(

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

They have them on ebay for $30 free shipping that is just plug and play. There is a cheaper $30 version and a $130 version on ebay.. One is generic one is a brand. Not much of a difference but it looks more expensive ;-)

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

well as usual they see us limeys coming and raise the price lol. mine cost £105 inc. shipping – around $160?

It’s the real McCoy though and works very well in all gears – heard bad reports from some of the cheaper ones anyway – missing gears or showing wrong gear… they work on engine speed and road speed so only displays gear number when your rolling with clutch engaged and in gear. When you stop it just shows a ‘-‘, same if you pull the clutch in while moving (which I do sometimes over speed humps).

So maybe I’ll get a cheap one from Ebay and test that on the CBR; can’t afford TWO at the above price anyway right now…

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I was thinking about getting one for my ST 1300. . I keep looking for 6th gear. . my ST is only a 5 speed

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Lol – well other riders also report that however many gears a bike has they’re still looking for an extra one! Mines got 6 and I quite often try and change up to 7th… Obviously we ‘should’ all be able to work out what road speed relates to what engine speed in top gear but this little readout tells you instantly so really pleased I fitted it and like I said will also fit one to my F3 when funds and time allows…

Profile photo of golsonca
    golsonca
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I have the GIPro-X mounted on both my 2003 954rr, and my 2003 600f4i. I mounted both myself, and was very easy. Toughest part was accessing the speed sensor on the 600f4i (954 was very easy to access compared to the 600), and making sure I tapped into the correct ECU wire for rpm sensor.

As mentioned, they are not essential, but much appreciated. I like to know what gear I’m in for pulling wheelies (especially on the 954!) They cost me ~$200CDN each including shipping via eBay.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.