Hand grip replacement

RideCBR.com Forums Member How-To Section Hand grip replacement

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mhjc0814 mhjc0814 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

So this is my learning process for replacing grips. As you can see mine were loose and wearing out.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

So I ordered knock off Driven grips (cause I”m a cheap b…person on a budget) and got some grip glue

I have heard about people using hairspray to “glue” their grips in place but that doesn’t make me feel comfortable so I paid $10 for the glue.
    So first step is to remove the old grips. Mine were loose so I just had to roll and pull. I have seen compressed air used to loosen the glue or just use a razor knife to carefully cut through the grip.

I used rubbing alcohol to remove the old glue. It was getting dark so this pic isn’t the best, but the dark color is the glue. It should be all white plastic once clean. Both bars should feel smooth and dry

After the glue was removed and the handlebars were dry, I covered the left handlebar with grip glue and put a bit on the inside of the grip. You have to work fast because the glue dries superfast! I slid the grip on and worked it back and forth till it reached the headlight/turn signal housing.

You can see I should have left just a small gap at the top since there is now a gap after the bar end was put back on. Lesson number one. This side went on fairly easily since the left handlebar is metal.
    Different story for the throttle side. I battled this one and could not slide the grip over the plastic throttle cover and so I cleaned the glue off again and after 3 times decided to give in to the hairspray method and give it a try. It slid right on and so I would have to wait til morning to see if it was strong enough.

So you can see now on this side the grip hits the lip that actually holds the stock grip and so I have a gap at the topside. I’m thinking about just painting the white to black so it will hide it a bit. The other option wold be to remove the grip since it is only on with hairspray the compressed air should take it off and cut down the lip and re-install the grip tighter up the bar.

I will decide but I can now say that I’m impressed with the fact that the hairspray worked!! It is very tight and it works great. I now have a much better response and my hands don’t cramp since I’m not gripping so tight to actually control the throttle.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Next up…. I gotta get levers! That stock crap looks like hell!!

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@spdygak looks good bro! you know what works ALOT better than hairspray? warm soapy water (dish soap) when it dries it gives a better bond than hairspray and just as good as grip glue, but it doesnt dry as fast…bout 30 minutes or so…

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@mactacular I can’t believe I wasted $10 bucks on glue, then when I was running around like a crazy man cause it wasn’t working right I stepped on the tube of glue and now half of it’s stuck to the driveway- hahaha

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@spdygak I think you have to sand or dremal down that ring on the throttle side to fit. Atleast thats what I read on .net. Btw are those supposed to be blue or black? I almost ordered a set but I am not going to if that is black.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@atx600rr No, no- those are blue! I had to order others to get the right color blue. I don’t like the anodized light blue- it doesn’t fit the Broncos motif, lol I guess I shoulda watched more you tube before installing. I can always try to remove it later with compressed air…@mactacular can show you his black ones

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Ah, got ya. Have you had a chance to ride with them yet. Do you think they were worth the $10? How would you rate them on a scale of 1-10?

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

good write up Jason. I love the compressed air for on and off.

Profile photo of thebearded1
    thebearded1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

=1 on the hairspray method.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

ATX600rr:
    Ah, got ya.Have you had a chance to ride with them yet.Do you think they were worth the $10?How would you rate them on a scale of 1-10?

sorry @atx600rr I never gave you a rating. I will give them an 8 only because they are not as padded as I would like. Great grip and feel, the color is good even in the crazy hot sun down here.

Profile photo of mhjc0814
    mhjc0814
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

sorry for the bump on such an old thread @spdygak, butI just replaced my grips this weekend while I was changing the headlights on my baby. IDK about you but these things were the closest thing to a workout at the gym except for actually going to the gym. I think I got the same grips as you, a knockoff of the driven grips. It took me and my neighbor about an hour to get them on taking turns twisting them on. The only thing I did differently was used a dremel tool to grind down that ring and they sit pretty nice now.

mhjc0814
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

sorry for the bump on such an old thread @spdygak, butI just replaced my grips this weekend while I was changing the headlights on my baby. IDK about you but these things were the closest thing to a workout at the gym except for actually going to the gym. I think I got the same grips as you, a knockoff of the driven grips. It took me and my neighbor about an hour to get them on taking turns twisting them on. The only thing I did differently was used a dremel tool to grind down that ring and they sit pretty nice now.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@mhjc0814 Ya it took me waaayy longer than anticipated. If I had done the hairspray in the first place it would have been much quicker. I will grind down the lip on my next replacement. It’s been almost a year now and nearly 10,000 miles and no issues. I’m still very happy with them! BTW, I did just hit the gap with flat black spray paint haha

mhjc0814
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

lmao @spdygak, hey whatever works brother!! I’ll try and get some pics up at somepoint today.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.