Headlight modulator

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Headlight modulator

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nueyf4i nueyf4i 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

This may be an old man topic and I’ve never seen one on a sport bike, but I recently installed a headlight modulator on my ST1300. I’ve only had it for a few days, but I like it so far. . . Opinions?

I’ll try to upload a video. .

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Probably doesn’t matter since you already have them and I’m no expert on the them but I considered getting them and a lot of the reports I saw mentioned a triangle method of lights is more effective .. like the lights you already have right below your signals except moved down to the lower part of the forks to create a triangle. A while back I tried to find reports on effectiveness of modulator lights and there wasn’t much out there and most of it was anecdotal so I don’t know how effective they are (or not). I’m sure they can’t hurt and seem like they would obviously be better than nothing although personally I would set them to slower modulation as they get confusing** when flickering at higher rate.

**By “confusing” I mean; obviously the intention of them is to be seen and not get hit (esp. by oncoming left turners into your path). The faster rate modulation seems to me it may create the opposite effect by creating tunnel vision / target fixation for the oncoming turner and a slower rate would have more effect. Again, just my layman’s viewpoint and I have no data to back any of that up so I may be wrong.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

To be legal they have to modulate at a rate of 240 cycles per minute +/- 40. . .4 cycles per second. Also only the headlight(or tailight-another topic for another day) can modulate, if your auxiliary lights modulate it is illegal. . I am a police officer so I don’t want to be illegally modding my stuff, or I have to answer to the Chief of my department if I get caught. . .the modulation cycle is the same rate for all modulators. I was out all day today, and did notice a bunch of people stop abruptly at stop signs as I was approaching the intersection. . . But it could just be that I am looking for a reaction that may have always been there. I did have 2 people pull onto turn lanes to let me pass them on a 2 lane road on my way home from work today. . That’s a plus. . Lol

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Wonder if that rate law varies state by state or is national? If it is national, most must ignore it because from what I noticed when traveling there seems to be a lot of variation in the mod rate from one person to the next. Personally I find the faster ones are more annoying but I don’t know enough to know if that “fast” rate is the 240 rate you mentioned or not (I doubt it, I think what I think of as fast is probably flashing at almost a blinker/flasher rate). Nonetheless, as I said it’s probably better than nothing.

Oh, and when I said I read reports saying the triangle effect of lights being most effective … the reports where not related to modulator lights, the reports where only talking about light formation in general (not modulators). Another words it was just saying the aux lights being down by forks to make a triangle pattern of lights is what they found to be most effective, not that the aux lights need to be modulators (they don’t).

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Unfortunately the auxiliary lights on my ST cannot be mounted on the fork. I removed my auxiliary lights from my F4i before I sold it and have been debating about putting the on the ST. . .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.