Hello from California

RideCBR.com Forums New Member Introductions Hello from California

This topic contains 31 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drewz97cbr600f3
    drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I was out shopping around for a used bike last weekend and came across a bike that I couldn’t walk away from and now I am a new owner of a 1997 CBR600F3. She is all original other than a aftermarket pipe and is pristine with 17k+ miles on her. Other than some minor adjustments to the brakes, clutch, and suspension she runs like a top. One thing I did notice was the drive chain is in the red and has reached the end of its life so the coming weeks will include chain and sprocket replacement (any tips on what to buy and what not to buy would be helpful) and complete fluid replacement to mark a fresh start to my new found friend. I live in Sacramento, am divorced and a father of six of the best kids you could ever come across, new to the Honda lineup, and I look forward to learning a lot more about them here.

Thank you,

Andrew

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Welcome! I also have 6 children!! my 1st bike was a 94 F2

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Thank you for the welcome. 3 in their 20’s and 3 12 and under and all of them as crazy as I used to be. I always admired the 90’s Honda line but after my kids were born in early 90’s the my wife at the time gave me the “look” and I sold my 86 Suzuki GS1100e never to own ANY bike for some time. Now with my ’97 it’s like I’m filling the void of something lost, and with a CBR on top of that! I’m glad to be here, it’s a great place to be.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 1. My wife was kinda the opposite way. . she knew I was interested in motorcycles so after our first child she suggested I get one before we were too poor after having all of the kids we wanted. Here I am on my 2nd CBR and I also just recently picked up an 04 ST 1300 for longer trips. .even with an aftermarket seat on my F4i I am done after about 7 hours of riding and kills me on the hwy after oy 2 hours. . . here are some pics of my pair of 2004 Hondas

Profile photo of roqet
    roqet
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Welcome!

Profile photo of sjm205
    sjm205
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Welcome.
    I only have two kids, one 13 and one 35.
    One the teen is through college, we may have another…

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Welcome from the Philippines. What part of Cali? I was born in Fresno back in 67. I have 1 son 15 months old. I am a late daddy haha 47 when he was born. If you just want to stay stock then go with original sprocket size. Your best bet is go with D.I.D. brand chain, make sure it has O-rings which most now a days do.

I would also suggest to get your carbs cleaned and synced. How long did the bike sit before you bought it? Definitely change all the fluids. Ride safe!

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! Nice looking bike

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Welcome to RideCBR @drewz97cbr600f3 – Post up if you have any questions about the site.. nice purchase! congrats! Ride safe and welcome.

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Right on nueyf4i. Six little ones under the age of 10 is commendable to say the least! I am relearning some of the aches and pains of long rides on the much sportier than touring ride kinda of bike. I’ve been making adjustments to the suspension, handlebars (no risers yet…), etc, before during and after my rides to help abate my tired old bodies woes. I absolutely love the power that these 600’s have. The powerband on my girl from 5k to almost 11k is amazing and rock solid. Nice photos and good choices in bikes. Enduro next? I really like your luggage system on you F4i! I have already pulled the rear assemblies off my F3 for some measurements and a quick schematic sketch for a quick release bolt on rack mod idea I have for mounts for my external frame backpack, which I seem to use as luggage whether I’m hiking, camping or going for an indoor overnighter.

@nueyf4i said:
    My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 1. My wife was kinda the opposite way. . she knew I was interested in motorcycles so after our first child she suggested I get one before we were too poor after having all of the kids we wanted. Here I am on my 2nd CBR and I also just recently picked up an 04 ST 1300 for longer trips. .even with an aftermarket seat on my F4i I am done after about 7 hours of riding and kills me on the hwy after oy 2 hours. . . here are some pics of my pair of 2004 Hondas

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Thank you ROQET!

@ROQET said:
    Welcome!

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

After having my #6 I called it quits and my Dr took care of my ailment… Lol!

@SJM205 said:
    Welcome.
    I only have two kids, one 13 and one 35.
    One the teen is through college, we may have another…

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I grew up in the Bay Area and now live in Sacramento. Kids are wonderful, congratulations! I have my eye on the HK OEM 525 43/15 package for my drive. WHat I’m finding out quickly is that the internet rules when it comes to parts and such. The last time I had a bike you’d have to go into the cycle shop and shoot the sh #t with the locals, mechanics, and salespeople which I thoroughly enjoyed back then These forums are the saving grace to how things were in the old days… My F3 had 2 owners, both adult riders. As the story goes, the 1st owner lost his balance at a stop and pinned himself under the bike in an intersection and this after reportedly commenting about the bike being to powerful for him. Shortly thereafter the second owner (I believe he was a friend of the first) used the bike as a weekender for most of her years and then attempted to ride her daily on a 200+ mile round trip commute which was understandably short lived. I’ve noticed the air/fuel mix is slightly on the rich side and the mileage on my recent excursions comes i between 34-38 mpg although this could be because of my new vice of rolling on the throttle a little bit heavy during my rides just because… The carbs will be gone through closely following my chain and sprocket replacement. I managed to find the ’95-’98 shop manual and have a laundry list of other items that are going to be looked at just because of the age of my F3. I look at it as fun, I will know how to pretty much rebuild my girl from top to bottom in a rather short period of time. Thank you for your post!

@SDM1 said:
    Welcome from the Philippines. What part of Cali? I was born in Fresno back in 67. I have 1 son 15 months old. I am a late daddy haha 47 when he was born. If you just want to stay stock then go with original sprocket size. Your best bet is go with D.I.D. brand chain, make sure it has O-rings which most now a days do.

I would also suggest to get your carbs cleaned and synced. How long did the bike sit before you bought it? Definitely change all the fluids. Ride safe!

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Thank you for the welcome and congrats Kevin. I certainly have missed being on this rode and I’m glad to be back.

@KGPrice said:
    Welcome and congrats on the purchase! Nice looking bike

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

HI Drew and a late welcome from one of the UK contingent ;-)

’97 CBR600 F3 – ditto – mine has 15k miles now & owned her for 2 years… Mine’s yellow & black, what’s yours and do you have any pictures?

I also have a CBF1000 which I bought in May with 20k on the clock. I love my CBR but needed a bike with an upright riding position for longer trips and maybe touring someday; maybe Europe & Ireland next year…

I ride both bikes and enjoy both in different ways!

Have fun :)

Tim

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Hey there @drewz97cbr600f3! Welcome from SoCal….

I also got the look as well when my son was born. I told her that I didn’t think anyone would take a newborn…..

@nueyf4i
    Better fix the plate on the ST before that cop gives you a ticket. LOL

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

still haven’t put a 2nd screw in, good thing the cop car is mine:)

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@nueyf4i said:
    still haven’t put a 2nd screw in, good thing the cop car is mine:)

I know it is….
    Just playin’ with you.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I know. tbe urony is that I’ve never been pulled over on my F4i but I got pulled over on my ST a couple weeks ago. . .I was fixated on the handicapped driver in front of me doing 10 under the speed limit, I passed that car and the gray Tahoe in front of it. . at 70 in a 35mph zone (oops) realizing as I was passing that the Tahoe was a State Trooper. . .he gave me a warning but it was still embarrassing to get pulled over. . .

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

apparently my auto correct isn’t working. . lol

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Would a state trooper give you a ticket?

Around here, an officer usually won’t give another officer a citation, regardless of department. I had a neighbor that was a motorcycle cop give a cop a ticket once. Other cops that I know had some pretty bad opinions of him after that. He said the guy was driving like an asshole and when he finally pulled over, flashed his badge and some attitude and expected nothing to happen.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

And my dad has a friend that is pretty high up in the DA that got a speeding ticket. He didn’t say who he was and got a ticket. When the cop found out who he was, and got a ton of shit from his department, he tried to get it back. My dad’s friend wouldn’t give it back and insisted on paying it, because he was speeding.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

very unlikely to get a ticket from another cop, but it has happened. one of my buddies was running close to 100 on the highway on his 600rr. . he got a reckless driving ticket from a trooper. When it came to court, the prosecutor knocked it down to defective equipment (no points). still sucked through because if we get a ticket we are required to submit a memo to our Chief of Police explaining that we got a ticket, what the charge was, and what we plan on doing to correct the situation. the issue now is that we are moving toward body cameras and it’s going to be harder to give breaks to cops when everything is recorded( if a citizen gets a ticket and can do a foia request for the officer’s videos that day and they see that he gave a police officer a warning for the same thing he got a ticket for it could get someone jammed up) it’s still in the are what exactly is subject to foia request in reference to body camera footage.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I don’t wrote other cops, but if they are being a duck I take their license back to my car and take my time and make them wait as punishment. . . .there are 2 kind of cop drivers. . I drive no differently in my personal vehicle than I did before I was a cop, the 2nd drive like a dicks BECAUSE they are cops and feel that they’ll never get a ticket ot catch a charge. . . no one likes the 2nd type. .

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@nueyf4i said:
    . . . no one likes the 2nd type. .

My sister does. LOL

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

lol

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’ve gotten pulled over 3 or 4 times over the 12 years I’ve been a cop and my attitude is always that if I get a ticket I deserve it, but I am always respectful. That is a big key, I know if I stop someone and they want to argue on the side of the street or give me a rash of crap because I pulled them over and not “the other guy” it definitely makes my decision to write or not write a ticket a whole lot easier. . . I’ve had days where I stopped over 20 cars and gave all warnings. . just cause everyone was cool and had a good attitide and other days where I wrote everyone cause they wanted to argue that “the guy in front of them was going faster” or saying “everyone does it” and a bunch of other stupid excuses. . .

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

sorry to hijack your intro forum. . . I also got fixed after #6. .it’s been almost 2 years since and no new babies. . .

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hey no sweat on the hijack! Lol! I haven’t had a ticket or have been pulled over (knock on wood) for over 20 years. In my last 3 1/2 years I have to say I haven’t own a vehicle of any kind. My reason, I never thought when I got married that I’d ever get divorced, and because of my divorce I somehow convinced myself (through many, many nights of sorrow drowning) that having a motor vehicle was not in my best interest. 3 1/2 years later and still dealing with my divorce I finally lowered my 10 drink minimum to that of maybe 1 here and there and with my new found better judgement I bought my the ’97 F3 that I’ve dreamt about for almost 20 years knowing I won’t put anyone else or myself in harms way because of me. I have know doubt that I saved myself countless times from an insurmountable amount of problems that come with the mixed cocktail of drinking and driving. To end my babble I have to say that I remember being a very young hot head the last time I was pulled over and sure as sh!t I was a disgruntled recipient of a well deserved ticket. Thank you guys for the discussion. It really is appreciated!

drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I have to add that I am amazed with my common sense during a time when I had little to none. 🙂🖖🏼

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.