Homemade LED 2" light

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads Homemade LED 2" light

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kennmcook kennmcook 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kennmcook
    kennmcook
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Testing some design concepts utilizing reflection and refraction to make a LED light that is bight (seen), but not obnoxious (flood lights into someones eyes).

Some test in mid day light for version 0.1 of the light. I’m going to try another design idea, but wanted to finish this one first. This one uses 5mm and 10mm LEDs.

Half the light free formed and soldered.

Side view with light shown on my hand.

Strait on look.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Trick little project Kenn! Turned out good

kennmcook
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thanks, I’m hoping the next version works out much better. I have a friend that is going to draw up the 3D model and another friend that has a 3D printer. I think I have a slightly better design, that I’m working on. Sadly, I’m not using this for my bike since it has a custom mod and 4″ lights on it. But, it has been fun to test an idea. :)

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Pretty cool project, what did you have in mind doing this for?

kennmcook
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

It’s been an idea that has been brewing up in the head for a couple years. I finally made some effort into getting it out of my head and into the real world to compare. lol. I actually just wanted to test an idea and see how it preformed in the real world.

The problem that I saw with most LED lights, is that they are all basically a huge cluster of LEDs. Which makes them bright, but also has some disadvantages… They become flood lights into the eyes of people behind you and depending on your viewing angle they maybe hard to see.

The target for the 1.5-2″ was to be able to compare it to other lights. Those seem to be the common sizes (in general) for all bikes and mods. Since I wanted to test another design idea, I aborted further testing, so I didn’t compare it to other lights like I originally wanted to.

Showing it to my bike-shop-guy, he was impressed and maybe interested in working them into mods. So I might be able to sell them, which was unexpected.

I’m working with some friends this time around to do the 3D modeling and print a 3D mold for me. I’m expecting better output from the new design and a lot easier to build. This was almost total free formed and took many hours to complete. I was happy to see the results and get an idea about the light performance, but would not want to free form and free form solder the light again.

The main problem that I run into is TIME. I usually have more projects that I want to do, than I can work on. I don’t have much free time to work on hobby projects. Right now I have parts for about 5 unrelated projects collecting dust. The single parent thing leaves me about 1-2 hours uninterrupted at night (after the kids are in bed), and on kid-free-weekends I’m in process of re-wiring the house. Which was the drive to finish this project.

kennmcook
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I was showing the light to Mike (bike-shop-guy), because I was talking about making a custom “Bat-logo” brake light to mount into the rear fender for a personal mod that he has going. It’s a batman themed bike, his son is into Batman. When he starts that project, I’ll post any custom work that I do for him.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.