Honda Electrical Issues

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Honda Electrical Issues

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Slightly off topic because this question was sparked off (pun definitely intended!) by a common issue with the CBF1000 (think your version in States is CB1000R) which seem to suffer from a lot of alternator stator and voltage rectifier/regulator failures which are thought to be heat related – on the alternator the stator coils burn out and short, the R/R is a semiconductor but they can also be damaged by excessive heat.

So I thought ‘OK at least my CBR600 will be ok’ but when I checked the service receipts from previous owners I discovered that the Voltage regulator has been replaced on that already. Is it a common issue then or just a historic one that Honda has corrected? My CBF is 2009 (MK1) but they’re still in production and the Mk2 version still on sale over here in UK. Seeing as it shares the same engine (albeit a detuned version for more mid-range torque and less top-end power) as the CB1000RR Fireblade I assume that recent bikes should be more reliable or else there would be a lot of unhappy Honda owners worldwide! Very worrying potential fault though cos when it goes you obviously lose charging current & voltage to the battery which runs down until the point when it can no longer provide ignition spark then you will grind to a halt at whatever speed or position on the road you happen to be at the time :-(

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What does your’s look like? Mine (929) is much larger than the older designs and has fins for cooling. No doubt it’s that way to handle the higher output charging system for the more demanding electrical system for the FI stuff.

With that said, parts do fail. Charging systems do take a beating and will fail eventually. They always do, no matter the machine. Stators fail, r/rs fail, batteries fail, and they can take each other out in a hurry.

It’s just the price of not walking….

Would it be too much to ask for a charging gauge so we can know BEFORE it shuts off??????

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

yes it’s bigger than my cbr reg/rectifier and has a heat sink i.e. cooling fins. True I realise that everything mechanical will fail eventually but these were classed as premature failures, even by Honda as I believe there was either a recall or else they agreed to replace failed units after the normal warranty would have expired. I believe Honda have had other such issues, for example the cam chain tensioner on cbr600’s like mine and I’ve been warned to listen for a really obvious rattle from cold – which can happen from relatively low mileages (15,000 upwards?) mine’s done 15k but so far not heard it and if that fails I’ll replace the tensioner myself anyway; not a major expense. But my main point of concern is that Honda always have had a reputation of outstanding dependability and reliability but faults like this are blemishes on that reputation…

I have some sympathy for the alternator thing really cos the design of bikes of necessity dictates a different design to cars or automobiles. Bikes have integral alternators, i.e. housed within the same casing as the engine so they get a lot hotter whereas in cars they are separate units in the engine compartment so they run a lot cooler and less chace of the coil windings burning out.

Ah the old gauge argument – yes an Ammeter would be good or even a voltage meter to show how the electrics are doing; but the CBF doesn’t even have a water temp gauge (whereas even my ancient cbr does). But then again the CBF HAS a fuel gauge for which I am eternally grateful!!

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Your r/r is of better design then. That’s good. But it will still fail, eventually. That’s not a really serious issue though, not enough to pin Honda with an “electrical issues” tag anyway. True that on early bikes they did tend to fail often, but Honda has learned. The problems or early anything always lead to re-engineering for later models. Late RR bikes don’t seem to have r/r or tensioner issues…. Not premature anyway.

At least they don’t have crankshaft issues like BMW, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Just to add, Honda will last “forever”. Keep in mind, the bikes with charging and tensioner problems are from the 80’s and 90’s. It’s a testament to Honda that there are so many of those bike still on the road, and that they can hold their own in the new world.

How many original GSXRs do you see running around everyday? F2s and F3s are everywhere still. And those 1000fs….still very in demand all over the world, and you can barely get parts for them.

Hell, my 929 is 15 years old and still strong as ever. I got 80k on my first one. It was running great until a truck killed it.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Agreed the Honda engines will go on and on – as long as they get fresh oil at the right time but that’s essential to any engine. Not trying to DISS Honda just asking really lol. The CBF issues were from 2006 onwards by the way so not all old problems but as long as they took it on board and learnt by the mistakes as you pointed out that’s all we can ask for really :)
    BMW have been falling from grace lately specially with their newer designs like the F800’s

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I had my cct changed out during my last tube up. . . The only electrical issue I had was with my 94 f2. .I think it was the rectifier issue though, would randomly cut off while idling at a light and not let the ignition re engage. . . Didn’t happen often enough to get it looked at though. . . My f2 only had around 34k on it though. . .as far as I can tell, all of my electrical on my F4i is original and haven’t had any issues so far. . Just under 38k on it now

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Ok so maybe I panicked unnecessarily after reading about a whole spate of issues with the CBF1000 electrics. Have since checked my alternator stator coils as per the manual and they are within the stated spec as far as resistance goes – spec. is between 0.1 and 1.0 Ohms between all three pins (1-2, 1-3 & 2-3) and mine are all 0.4 each. Also no shorts between any pin and chassis (ground) and battery voltage around 14.2V @ 5000 rpm so looks like alternator and regulator both working ok on both my CBF and CBR… Maybe I shouldn’t believ everything I read but better to be safe than sorry I guess :)

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It’s working fine now. Your mind should be at ease…..

Now go ride it already!!!!!!

LOL

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@74demon that’s what I’m doing lol and that’ll keep the battery charged too. Also adjusted seat to its highest setting and even more comfortable now!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.