How do you like to check your oil level?

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions How do you like to check your oil level?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of smalls1000 smalls1000 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of itinerant
    itinerant
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

So, a bit of discussion I thought I’d throw out there

F3 model… the factory manual and owners handbook tells you to:
    Start the engine and let it idle for 2-3 minutes
    Stop the engine and wait 3 minutes
    Motorcycle upright on level ground, insert the dipstick without screwing it in

However, I also know several people who swear blind that oil checks must be done with a cold engine so that everything has had a chance to drain out.

Much of a difference? Well, yes. Using the factory method to have the oil level bang on the top line. After complete cooling/draining, it is maybe 50% of the min-max range over the top.

What are your preferences?

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Im not that methodical about it. I check it all the time, the RR has a look glass. Ill just get on my knees and pull the bike to its level spot and check, before and after rides sometimes. Its always where it needs to be. And if not I find out why and do the repairs, had my oil filter seal get kinked up awhile back was losing a bit, thankfully I caught it quick and fixed it.

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Do it the way your M.O.M. says to do it… (Motorcycle Owners Manual)

MOM is always right!!! :lol:

itinerant
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Thanks for the replies :)
    I’m a by-the-book guy, personally (that way I have someone to sue when it all goes horribly wrong… joke!).
    Although I’ve witnessed some very animated discussions of people who think they know otherwise :poundinghead: Looks like they’re in a minority though

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Same as borderline for me, I spot check it here and there but not too methodically .. sometimes cold sometimes not. For the most part I’m not too worried. As long as I don’t see anything leaking and feel the ride to be nothing out of normal, feel shifting to be somewhat smooth, I don’t stress about it too much. 13 years on same bike with no problems so I guess I’ll stick with what works.

itinerant
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Wow! 13 years – I thought I was doing OK at 8 years ish

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@itinerant said:
    Wow! 13 years – I thought I was doing OK at 8 years ish

My F3 has never used oil since it was new in 1998 … I have owned it now for 17 years and she gets the recommended 10/40 oil, I do use a synthetic though and keep the oil level at the top mark of the dipstick, it never drops between changes no matter how hard I ride her … I love my F3 :-)

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I do as the manual says, which is run it for 3 to 5 minutes. shut it down for 3 to 5 minutes and then check it. Then again I have a 2008 CBR 1000RR that burns oil so I guess I always need to check it before I ride just to make sure my oil is at a good level to ride.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.