HOW TO: 2006 CBR600RR Frame Slider Install

RideCBR.com Forums Member How-To Section HOW TO: 2006 CBR600RR Frame Slider Install

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 600f4i 600f4i 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

you guys asked for it! The one, the only, frame slider install “HOW TO” ..Do it yourself and save atleast $150!

so the things you’re gonna need are as follows:
    – Frame Sliders
    – A small drill bit (for the pilot holes)
    – A 2″ Hole Saw
    – A can of “Play Doh” or other type of clay
    – A 17mm socket with extentions and a shallow 17mm socket
    – Masking tape
    – Black Sharpie Marker (optional)
    – Socket Wrench
    – Allen Wrenches (socket allen wrenches were a DREAM for me in this project!!!)

heres a little layout of most of the tools i used..
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Okay, so this is definitely a project you DO NOT want to mess up! after I drilled my holes, I was sweating bullets HOPING I got them in the right place!!!! It’s hard to go wrong if you follow the EXACT steps I walk you through…you should drill your holes correctly 10 out of 10 times…but it’s still scary!!

first things first, take off your mid fairing!!! I started with my left side…

Remove the old bolt and put in JUST the bolt from your frame sliders, screw it all the way in with your fingers, not too tight..the bolt will look like this once you replace it..

There should be a small indention in the foam where your old engine bolt used to be pressed up against it. remove some of that foam from the back of the fairing with your fiingers and replace it with the play-doh or clay..(I used clay, play doh works better) after you put the play-doh on the inside of the fairing, replace the fairing using ATLEAST 3 bolts to make sure its lined up correctly…this should make an indention on the play-doh from the new bolt that came with your frame sliders…remove the fairing and you should have something that looks similar to this..

drill a small hole DIRECTLY in the center of the indention made in the clay…drilling into the clay and out of the fairing..this is your pilot hole

after that, put some masking tape on the outside of your fairing, this is to protect it from getting too jagged..trust me, you DO NOT want to do this without the masking tape!!!! re-drill your pilot hole through the masking tape also..so you know where to drill your big holes!

once you’re done with that..it’s time for business!! pull out that hole saw and get to work!! drilling from the outside of the fairing (into the masking tape) use the pilot hole you drilled to guide the center bit of the hole saw and this should put your holes EXACTLY where they need to be!

VIOLA!!! perfect holes!!

that’s it..you’re pretty much done with this side…install the fairing back onto the bike and put the actual slider on the bolt and that’s a wrap for the left side!!

looks pretty good if you ask me! ;)

DO THE SAME EXACT THING FOR THE LEFT SIDE, REMOVE THE FAIRING, USE THE CLAY TO LINE UP YOUR HOLE, ETC, ETC.

The right side bolt is a little tricky though! so be careful! this is the actual engine mount, if you do it wrong, your engine might drop out of the bottom of the bike and crack all of your cylinders and you will have to just buy a whole new engine….HAHA, im totally messin with you…but it IS different, ALOT different!!

this is what the right side looks like!! theres a spacer that is between the frame and the engine mount, dont lose this!!!! you also have to get a shallow 17mm socket onto the nut thats on the other end…its easiest if you put just the socket on first, then put the socket wrench into the nut!

Photobucket

you can see in this next picture that my frame and engine mount spaced apart a pretty good bit! yours will probably do the same, so theres nothing to worry about..

theres a small pinch nut that I forgot to draw a red line to..its the little black-ish nut to the left of the spacer in the picture that has the red lines on it..you’ll have to loosen that before you’re able to undo the engine bolt…to undo it, you will probably have to use a pry bar!! it’s on pretty tight!

once you’re done with that, follow the same steps with putting the clay on the fairing, putting the new screw into the holes and lining the fairing up to make your mark! remember to actually line it up RIGHT or your holes will be drilled WAYYYY OFFFF….once you line it up, drill your pilot hole, mask off the fairing, drill through the tape, and then drill your 2 inch hole for the slider to go through…install the sliders, make sure you dont forget to put your spacer back in!! the original nut will now be attached to the new bolt that came with your frame sliders, screw it pretty tight, just about as tight as you can..just DON’T break it!!! Re-install the fairing onto the bike, and you’re DONE!

pat yourself on the back cause you are one bad mofo for doing your own mods!

**VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!** The sliders are different sizes!!! one will have a skinnier protrustion on it, this one goes on the right side of the bike! the one with the fatter piece on the bottom of it goes on the left side!!

anyways, now that you’re done, post up some pics of your finished product!!! here’s mine!!

you know how everyone ALWAYS has their left over pieces after a project like this…I had two..ill keep them around just in case I ever find out where they go…it beats the heck out of me, but im sure ill figure it out one day..here’s wha they look like…hmmmm

LOL ;)

I hope you guys enjoy this “HOW TO” as much as I enjoyed making it for you! If you have ANY questions, or if I didnt explain everything in depth enough for you, or you just dont get it! FEEL FREE to shoot me a message and I will help you out ANY way that I can! I’m pretty sure I mentioned everything involved in doing this correctly, but I might have missed something…so like I said, don’t be afraid to ask questions! It’s not the easiest thing in the world to do!

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

AND REMEMBER! when drilling your 2-inch holes, SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE!!! If you do it too fast, you will cause too much friction and heat up the plastic (which can warp it) YOU DONT WANT TO DO THIS!

I also plan on buying a couple of 2-inch grommets to clean up the holes and make it look more professional..they cost about $1 each and it makes a WORLD of difference when doing this!

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

You got some dirty hands brotha.. I wonder how they got that dirty?? hmmm…

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

hahaha @rome83 you do this project on a bike that actually gets RIDDEN and your hands will be just as dirty!!! That’s a workin man’s hands!

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

where did you find them for $1???

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I haven’t bought them yet..heres some 2.5 inch grommets if you decide to go with a bigger hole

http://www.smarthome.com/29023/OnQ-F2242-2-5-inch-Grommet-Ring/p.aspx

$1.57 each…shipping is a little crazy for them though..like $5 for two things you can ship for $.50

I used 2″ holes so im gonna hafta find something different… :/

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

haha @Mac… I see you got jokes :-P

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Our new Handy “How To” Guy ladies and Gentlemen!!! :wink:

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@mactacular Nice job, son!

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Wish I had this when I was doing my sliders…… Doh!

Profile photo of skydynamics
    skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

nice, making my job easier tomorrow.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@jason thanks bro!!!

@bacaboy shoulda waited!!! :mrgreen:

@nguyen GOOOD MAN!!! I really hope it helps!!! If you run into any trouble, don’t hesitate to shoot me a message!

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@mac I know right….. Wish I could have seen the future so that I would have know to wait.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

did you atleast get yours on?! lol…how did you drill your holes? what did you use to line them up?

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@baca ha if you would be able to see the future I doubt you would need sliders lol.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

LOL @roman…SO TRUE! hahaha

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@rome yall got jokes lol

@mac I used everything you did cept no foam stuck the side against the slide that was already on lined up the holes and marked areas with marker and hoped for best but got the worst. I had to grab a filer and file the sides down till it fit but it still dont fit correctly. There is tons of pressure on the sides its not even funny. The previous owner dropped the bike so im guessing that in the crash the front got warped (yes there is a visible crack) and now is fuvking up everything. The plastics are being held on (literally) by wire, windshield bolts, and zip ties. Im afraid one of these days im gonna touch it and its all gonna explode apart. Pretty sad this is why im hoping to win free fairings or get a company to let me do a review on there plastics for free. Im broke can’t afford plastics lol. I can hope for the best and expect the worst.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

you can get some new mids for like $40 each on ebay bro!!!

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

When im rich lol

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Will add this to Honda CBR Tech article database asap.

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Great write up. Hopefully I will be doing this soon.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

thanks ATX, I hope it helps when you do it!

Profile photo of 09redblackrr
    09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

excellent write up man.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

thanks man!

Profile photo of speedynas
    speedynas
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Nice write up @Mac

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

thanks bro…lets hurry up and cut on your fairings!! ;)

Profile photo of 600f4i
    600f4i
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

thanks for the write up. am finally gonna get around to buynig cut frame sliders for my bike

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.