I'm Stumped

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cbrhero cbrhero 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gr8scape
    gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Ok, here is the problem. I recently moved to another state. Had to syphon most of the gas out as not allowed to ship with gas. When we arrived the bike was the second thing off the moving van. Started right up and drove it to the garage. Couple of days later went and got gas and added to the tank. Turned on the ignition and everything sounded right. Hit the starter and it just cranks and pops once in the while. Suggestions??

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What bike do you have?

gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

2000 Honda 929

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Without knowing more details.. maybe the plugs are done?

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Do you hear the fuel pump?

gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yes I heard the fuel pump. It all sounded normal just not start. It pops every once in a while.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Were you in control of the bike move?

In other words, can we rule out sabotage?

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Do you have access to tools to start taking things apart and checking voltages and things?

gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

It started a couple of days ago when it came off the moving van. Then nothing. I’m in the middle of unpacking so I don’t have time to do anything.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Figured things were packed away. When you get to the point that you can actually work on it, we will guide you through a few things to figure this out.

The pump running rules out a few possibilities. But you still need to check to see if there is pressure. I’ve had the hose inside the tank split before. Pump ran but it all went back to the tank…

You didn’t put diesel in it by mistake, did you?

And, just out of curiosity, what state did you end up in?

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Did you ride it to get gas or did you go get gas in a can and bring it home? Us knowing if it was running after the initial removal from the truck is important. Could just be as simple as it having run out and need to be primed. Some cars bikes and equipment can be finicky to start once run out of fuel. If you rode to the store then filled the tank and now it wont start, thats a different story. If its the first scenario, then most likely it just ran dry and is being a turd and hard to start due to loss of prime.

gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Moved to Delaware (saving about 10K a year in property taxes alone). I’m hoping the bike is being a turd and just lost it’s prime. Like I said earlier, It was the second thing off the moving van. It started and I drove it to the garage (about 125 feet). Went to the gas station a few days later with a 5 gallon can, came home, put some in and no start.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Is this bike stock for the most part?

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Cant recall but is it carbed or FI? I would suspect the fuel rail has air in it. Can you smell fuel when attempting to start it? Also dumb question but I have to ask, do you have a tank petcock shut off switch? My F3 & F4 did but not sure about the 929. Just making sure that if you have one it didnt get shut off. Simple stuff first.

gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yes

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@gr8scape said:
    Yes

Yes, its stock?

@theredrocket, the 929 is fi with no petcock. The pump is high pressure and will prime the rail in a second with key power.

As long as the pressure is good, the problem is electrical. Either the injectors aren’t getting power, coils aren’t getting power, or both.

Did you check the fi fuse?

gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I’m in the process of unpacking into the new home. Will check out when I have time. Thanks for your suggestions.

gr8scape
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Well I have had some spare time from unpacking and thought I would see what was up with the 929 not wanting to start. Uncovered it and moved it to the middle of the garage to have a looksee and decided to see if the non starting problem was still there. Turned the key, heard the fuel pump just like before. Hit the start button and it started up like nothing was ever wrong. Let it run for a little while and turned it off. Came back out the next morning and it started right up. It must be voodoo. Voodo smoodo I’m going for a ride.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Great!
    These machines are bulletproof……usually.

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Air, small amount of bad gas, who knows, just glad it looks like it’s good to go.
    My last trip my bike wouldn’t start and had all the symptoms of a bad battery except two places I took it to said battery showed it would hold good charge and was fine. After trying everything else I put in a new battery anyway just in case and it hasn’t had an issue since so who knows. I read and hear about all the tons of problems people usually have with 10+ year old bikes and other than minor hiccups these things just keep rolling and rolling merrily along … knock on wood.

Profile photo of cbrhero
    cbrhero
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

bad gas

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.