Is motorcycling changing?

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Is motorcycling changing?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I always loved sport bikes from the youngest of age and they seemed to reign supreme for an eternity, even to just a few short years ago…now I hear the CBR600RR is being stopped and I have noticed when out this year the sheer proliferation of adventure style or roadster style bikes.

Another thing I’ve noticed is this new style of bike seems to be piloted by much more ‘sane’ riders.

That’s what I’ve noticed here in the U.K. anyway.

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

With the production stop of the 600RR, looks like your next bike will have to be a 1000RR!

But you are correct. It’s all about moving units now. The days of choosing a big heavy cruiser or a light sportbike are gone. You now have everything in between the two, leaving not enough interest in the extremes.

Besides, the 600rr and 1000rr are almost the same bike these days, with the average rider not getting close to either bike’s full potential and the desire to get things with bigger numbers on them.

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes, there is so much more choice now in style of machine or purpose.

The sport bike has definitely gone out of fashion because not only do I see so many riders on this new breed of bike but I’m also seeing hardly any sport bikes now too.

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of lemarck234
    lemarck234
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

It seems like the market is leaning a bit more towards practicality than just “play toys” now a days. I think it’s good for the community to get more riders out there. I’ll always be a sportbike fanatic, but if more bikes are on the road, and more car drivers get educated to strengthen their awareness, I’m all for it.

JeanLemarck - Survival of the Squiddest

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Agreed, I’ve noticed the same in Britain too. Is it age related do you think, i.e. and older customer base who opt for the adventure/tourer/cruiser machines for other reasons; i.e. ergonomics, lifestyle (dare I say ‘mid-life crisis’?!)… Also the ‘more mature’ riders are (sometimes) more sensible and have lost the urge to be reckless. Not implying that ALL sportsbike riders are irresponsible of course ;-)

I think ergonomics is a big reason though – more comfortable riding position to help aching/ageing musculo-skeletal frames (like mine) lol.

Spate of motorcycle thefts across London & SE seems to be affecting mostly sportsbikes (mate had a BMW S1000R nicked recently) and scooters (but they’re stolen by crims to carry out other crimes, unfortunately).

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Is it the same once sportbike riders too? I mean I was sportbike through and through, I still love my RR but now I see high bars and funky styling and a lack of bodywork and some actual engineering on display and I for one am sold 😀

Jules

Profile photo of pacemaker
    pacemaker
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

A lot of the so called adventure bikes offer a more versatile ride than a focus bike (Sports etc).
    I can remember when they stopped production of the CBR600RF models & released the RR variety. And now it seems they have switched that around, although the new CBR650F is made in Thailand.
    I’m not against change & I would never critisise anyones choice of ride, some of new crossover bikes are pretty sweet, such as the ones from Ducati, Aprillia & Augusta, fitted with all manner of go fast goodies albiet with price tags to match. Here in my little piece of a S’tralia, there seems to be a lot of retro style bikes, seems every manufacturer makes them. The new /old Yammie SR400 single sells like hot cakes, but that model falls into the LAMS (Learner approved) category. More people seems to be buying bikes & scooters (also very retro styles). My biggest critisism is that fitting all manner of “Safe” electrics, anti skid, ABS, anti wheelie, riding modes….go a long way toward putting new(ish)riders into a further sense of invulnerability & to be honest, they take away much of the edge that comes with riding a bike. But I’m an old fart. Don’t despair though, I’m sure they will revive the 600 at a future time (maybe with a 650cc donk).

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Agreed; that’s why I’m holding on to my lovely CBR600 – until they ban it on emissions grounds or lack of ‘safety’ features…

I also love the CBR650F ever since I test-rode one and advised my mate to buy one – he’s not regretted it!

Ironically though it’s got about 40% power with a 50cc capacity increase although it has ABS, etc and is way more economical on fuel consumption & emissions. However here in the UK there’s still one more reason to own a 600: that’s a price break on Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Tax) for bikes so with a 650 you pay about 75% more and I’d be charged the same on a 650 as I pay on my CBF1000!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.