IT Gurus: I know what I want…

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse IT Gurus: I know what I want…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kerosene kerosene 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of itinerant
    itinerant
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

… but I don’t know what I need

We have a lot of offsite personnel and we have a lot of memos etc. that we need each person to read and acknowledge.

My broad brush concept is something hosted on the web that each person can log into, read the documents then acknowledge them. Each person can see what they need to acknowledge, and the bosses can see who hasn’t kept up to date with things.

Sooooo, what do I need? Company isn’t going to pay for much so hosting will need to be at the cheap end although traffic will be minimal. But what do I write this in? Is this something I can have at bash at myself once I know what I’m up against? I’ve got a little bit of SQL and VB and I’m OKish at certain niche C derivatives. But that is it.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

You could hypothetically do this in php code and a simple database, but it would some coding. I’m almost positive there is a very similar existing open source platform, I can’t remember the name at the moment but i’ll try and look it up later on when i’m home.

Profile photo of itinerant
    itinerant
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Thanks very much!
    I have found some open source document management solutions, but they seem more geared up towards managing multiple versions/drafts of documents between collaborators. Maybe there is a way I can use a review feature as an acknowledgement. Not sure.

But it looks like PHP might be the way ahead, perhaps I can host it on the cheap on AWS. I’ve been meaning to look into that for a while.

Many thanks once again, and wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I am the furthest thing from a guru, but maybe this will help. Here in the States, at least in my experiences, colleges and universities have a program called Blackboard. Professors post materials, assignments, message boards, etc. and the students are responsible for keeping up to date with the schedule. The professor(s) can see the individual student’s activity; complete with time and date stamps, as well as communicate solely or as a group with them. If I remember correctly, another program called Digital Dropbox was used as well. Students worked together on group projects. Each contributing a portion, as well as being able to edit possibly. I didn’t care much for that. The professor could also see and keep track of who was doing what work and when.

Now, this may be what you are already talking about and am I just giving a proper name to the program. I don’t know. In either case, hope it helps. If not. Forget I mentioned anything. Good luck.

Profile photo of kerosene
    kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Two solutIons come to mind ready to go out of the box and one which requires some work

1. Microsoft sharepoint – allows for expandability, not many costs long term, but requires some work upfront (and dollars)

2. Google Docs – not expensive, dont need to monitor or do maintenance, expandable, simple and relatively cheap.

3. One drive – same as google docs.

I dont think programming will be the way to go if you’re starting from 0 and all the languages have their holes. If you’re planning on allowing files to go public on www ( which by the dound of it uou are, regardless if it requires authentication) you’re putting yourself at risk and potentially clients/employees.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.