LED Headlights

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kgprice kgprice 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Recently I’ve been on a bit of an LED mission and fitted hi-intensity LED side and headlights to my car and both bikes. Cheaper than Xenon and not quite as bright but DEFINITELY much brighter (and whiter) than even the brightest halogen bulbs. You only have to compare the two, side by side, to see that the halogens look yellowy next to the LED ones…

Best prices currently in UK are around £30 a pair but can get direct from China from around £20 – sounds good but usually 2-3 week delivery time and likely Customs import duty on top so I prefer the UK ones at the moment.

Any other guys done this as an upgrade and what are your views?

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@saturnv – I haven’t changed to LED headlights. However, I have switched to HID’s w/ projectors. I really love the extra visibility; to see and be seen. That is, without a doubt, my favorite upgrade and modification of my bike. I am all for making myself more noticeable. An upgrade to lighting is something I wish I would have done right after purchasing my bike.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@94f2-08rr thanks for your reply; haven’t done a road test with my LEDs installed yet but night riding not my favourite past-time anyway! Naturally I’ll have my headlights on in daylight anyway but won’t know how effective they are until dark… At least other motorists should be able to see my bike easier but that does’t mean they still won’t try to get ya lol.

So your HID ones are Xenon I assume – with external ballast? Also what is the projector thing?

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@saturnv – I enjoy riding at night. Because of my work schedule, that seems to be the only time I have to ride. I switched to help with all of the nighttime critters that live around here. I really do not feel like seeing which would win between my bike and a deer. I’ve used my lights as a “weapon.” Coming home one night with a group of three other riders, I had a motorist flick a cigarette out their window. I had my visor open and butt hit the front side of my cheek pad. Needless to say, I wasn’t happy. I positioned myself to shine both my lights in the rearview, while my buddy rode to shine in the driver side, side mirror.

As far as my HID’s go; they are from XDCycle. One of the sponsors of the page. Yes, external ballast. The projector is a lens that concentrates the light beam. Easiest explanation.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes I’ve heard some bad enough tales of deer running across the road even in this country and colliding with cars; that usually ends badly for all 3, the deer, car and the driver! So don’t think biker would stand much of a chance lol.

Know what you mean about the cig butt thing – makes me sick to see drivers (or passengers) chucking any litter from vehicles it’s such a crap attitude: ‘I need to throw the trash out of MY space and I don’t care that that is someone else’s space!’ Of course throwing a burning stick anywhere rural can be a lot worse and I’m sure that’s how a lotta forest fires are started…

I’ve seen those projector lenses now I remember and they look cool – I’ll stick with my LEDs for now – the added bonus for me is that they’re less than half the power consumption of halogens which is less drain & strain on my bikes’ electrics!

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I have Halos with Xenons in them, BKmoto did a great job and they look awesome! Check my video out which shows them (cant remember if I have another video of just showing them working or not. I like the fact that my day time running light is as bright as most people’s high beams! Also my led turn signals are brighter than most headlights haha. Best of luck.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.