lubing up that chain!

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse lubing up that chain!

This topic contains 44 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cbr-f2 cbr-f2 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

what do you guys use to lube up your chains? how often do you do it? etc etc etc

I use something called liquid wrench or something? idk…I just throw it up on my rear stand and spray as I spin the back tire….I do it every 500-1000 miles

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Dupont chain lube from walmart

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

im not quite sure how good this liquid wrench stuff is for my Orings in my chain..I think it may dry them out :/ im not sure..

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

and do you guys clean your chain with anything before lubing it up??

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

truly only one way to find out

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

+1 on the Dupont chain lube from WalMart.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

+1 on that useless comment steria

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Why was that a useless comment? I am just stating what I use to lube up the chain, as you asked.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I just got that dupont. Havn’t tried it yet. Gotta wash the bike tomorrow AM before our run to New Orleans. Gonna give it a shot. Check this out:

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

but you dont have a bike..?

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I never said that. I do not yet have a CBR.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Let’s keep it friendly..

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

the O-Rings are under pressure when on the chain so the real test would be to either lube up whole chains and test it out or lube different sections of the same chain with different lubes….anyone care to give it a try and document over a period of a certain number of miles????

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I can only tell you experience from what I use. I clean with WD40 (although I’m hearing it’s not recommended) then use Chain Wax to coat. The problem I’m running into is the black gunk build up which led me to try using this dupont. I’m not looking to run a trial test (personally) but share experiences as I try different things. I wash my bike about weekly or so and lube the chain when I wash it. I’m running about 300-400 miles a week and try to get it pretty before our group rides on Sunday or Monday
    Just my humble opinion anyway…

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

WD40 will EAT those Orings bro!

Profile photo of dar83
    dar83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Whats the best way to clean and lube the chain? I’ve just been half ass spraying it with some chain lube purchased from Honda while rolling it back and forth on its wheels .

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I bought chain cleaner and lube from my local cycle gear. I must say it would have been a terrible job if I didn’t also buy a grunge brush. That thing made a dirty job bearable. I couldn’t even fathom trying to do it with a normal toothbrush. My total cost was around $20 and I still have enough cleaner and lube to clean several more times.

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Recommended for cleaning:

Kerosene, or Diesel #1 (red dye type)
    dye input for taxes and farm use only designation

Only store in yellow or blue

Yellow for diesel
    Blue for kerosene

Cans are designated this way for safety.

Pouring gasoline into a kerosene heater kills many each year.
    The season is coming, use care and caution.

ProHonda chain lube
    Chainwax chain lube
    Dupont chain lube

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I know Mac isnt around much any more…. does any one else have any knowledge or info on WD40 eating your orings???? WD40 is a very mild penatrant and from wjat I understand , mainly made up of fish oil and mild distilates. The Orings should be chemical resistant if you can clean them in kerosene. So the whole WD40 thing makes no sense to me and im not one to believe blindly with out proof. So does any one know of an article or somthing that explains the issue?

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

i use this to lube my chains…

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

i think that most people say using original wd-40 on their chain eats orings is because its a light lubricant and gets flung off very easily causing the oring to dry out and get eaten… just my opinion and not saying who is right or wrong about it, but there are products by wd-40 as seen in my first pic before the pj1 blue label…

hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I will buy that explanation…… WD40 does fling off easily and I would imagine it wouldnt take much heat and air flow to dry it as well… I have used it to clean the chain before with no issues. And on a friends bike the chain was a little dry and starting to stick or bind. used it to free up the links and then went back with a heavier lube a day or so later. Bike may have gotten 2-3 miles to work the orings a bit. then sat over night to work.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

yup… i agree with you 100%… here at my job i get a chance to try out all sorts rust penetrants, lubricants with high and low temps, cleaners, etc. its all about trial and error… unfortunately thats not what people want to hear since it could cost them…

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@hubbard2a I don’t personally know the answer to question other than to say people you and I trust like abadfish from cbrworld said to never use it and he cited personal experience issues but I don’t think (not sure but don’t think) you will have to worry about this on your next chain. O-ring chains are almost impossible to find since the next generation o-ring chain was been replaced with x-ring a while back, and from what I read on the little sheet that came with my d.i.d. x-ring chain it read that unlike o-ring the x-ring holds the factory sealed lubricant inside the chain. I assume, again not sure but assume, this would mean the wd 40 thing won’t be as big an issue now with x-ring. maybe?

and here’s an irrelevant image just for reference purposes

hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Hmmm…Abadfish, there is a name I havent herd in a while. Miss talking with him. And actually your irrelevant image helped quite a bit. The images did kind of help visualize the whole thing, and to understand the whole WD40 thing…

And yes. The Xring is likley the answer to most of the problem.

Profile photo of yanahmean
    yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I personally use K-1 kerosene the clesr kind in a can and dupont spray lube in the blue can and I have been using these si nce m I bought my chain which is roughly 10k+ miles and my chain is fine. No stretching no kinking seems just fine I also ise a grunge brish because it makes the job A LOT easier.

yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Don’t mind my terrible spelling above^^^ I am sick and using my phone ..sorry

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

killer pic of the chain broke down @kewlbreeze that is an excellent point of view!

fixed from me not payin close attention…

yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@cbr-f2 ?? I don’t get it is that sarcasm lol I’m sick and may not be reading that right

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.