Need help on steps to paint my '08 RR white…

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Need help on steps to paint my '08 RR white…

This topic contains 40 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of shoichirohonda shoichirohonda 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cbrguy78
    cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Ok fellas, I have my red/black ’08 600RR that I will be painting white soon! I know, “why paint it white” right? Well I have not seen very many solid white RR’s in my area or any for that matter & I think it will be sweet. My paint right now is flawless & has no dings or dents so it should be fairly simple other than getting the stickers & clear coat off… So I’d like to know the easiest way for me to take off the clear coat so that my primer then paint will stick then some clear over that! I will be using a rattle can as I am fairly decent at it! A fellow rider near me said to use 800 grit, wash & dry, primer then 800, wash & dry then alcohol wipe down then paint then clear! If any of you have better methods let me know! Thanks, Frank!

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Photo test…

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Oh my, that red and black looks so sweet and you say it’s blemish free too … do you know how good a quality that original Honda paint is?? … It’s excellent and thick, and durable too … the idea of flatting that down and covering it with ‘rattle cans’ leaves me cold, sorry but it does.

I’m sure white would look great if done properly, but I really think you either need it professionally done or at least use a decent spray gun and mix up some quality paint. The stuff in rattle cans tends to be thin and ‘watered down’ requiring multi light coats and is never as durable as factory finish paint.

I used to spray cars and bikes with my dad so know what’s involved and these things are always more work than you think to do a proper job.

If the bike was all scuffed up and tatty anyway, no problem, but like I said the idea of destroying that lovely Honda finish with a rattle can job just leaves me cold ….. sorry!!

Good luck and whatever you decide do write ups and post pics
    :)

Jules

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

^^^^^^^^ Stock Trim

Hot Bodies Kit (mine came in white, not red)^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^ What my bike will look like when I’m done! I have the smoke flush mount front turn signals, Hot Bodies Kit, Shogun No-Cut frame sliders, Swingarm spool sliders, LED’s, new shorty black levers & hopefully a new exhaust soon! So it should look really sexy in white!!!

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

The white does look good, but I definitely would go with a proper spray gun setup and high quality paint, two pack or something, not rattle cans… they might look good for a while but it just won’t be as durable

Jules

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Juliet
    Yes ma’am, I know all very well what it involves & am aware of the “quality” paint that Honda puts on these bikes, but well…. I like to be different & there are rarely any solid white CBR’s where I’m at so… I recently sprayed my ’96 Stang GT convertible gloss black & it turned out beautiful & yes it was a lot of work, but it too had a perfect factory paint job before I sprayed it! It’s all in prep work basically! Honda paint isn’t really all that thick though, but their clear coat is, lol. I have plastic wrap & tarps that I use to make a make-shift booth & I take cautionary steps prior to painting, but I like a challenge & I’ve done some decent spray can jobs in the past! My first car was a 1975 Chevy Nova, 350/350 & I sprayed it myself with 102 cans of gloss black spray paint after I did extensive prep work! I then took it to my work (Honda body repair & we laid 3 nice coats of clear over that! I only had 2 minor blemishes throughout tue whole car, lol…

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

1996 Stang GT I painted about 3 months ago…

I shot this car with my HVLP gun & afterwards some jerk decided he needed it more than I did so…. Now I have to buy another 30 gallon compressor & gun, etc…

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

The Mustang looked great and yes, the preparation is easily nine tenths of a good spray job, all that rubbing down and flatting until your arms feel like they are literally going to drop off ..lol Cleanliness and a dust free environment, but I believe paint quality itself is important too. A spray job, any spray job can look fantastic when first done but it’s the durablity that counts too … will it be up to the hot sun bearing down on it all days in summer and then in winter, what about salt and acid rain, pollution etc … that is the difference I have seen by a good paint job and a bad one, is how long they actually stay looking good.

Wow, you say 102 spray cans?? … how much did that all cost against say three to five litres of quality spray paint and thinners and gun hire?? I’m sorry, I’m not meaning to be a pain but I’m amazed at what you guys bite off and put yourselves through…

I’m sure the white will look great and you will do an excellent job, please post up all the steps of the spray job, I’d love to see it all come together and the final result … I used to be so involved with bike and car restoration with my dad and kinda really miss it…

I would say the 800 grit will be fine for rubbing down, although 600 would be faster then you could follow up with 800, or leave it at 600 so the primer has a better ‘key’ then rub down the primer with 800 … you want it smooth but still not so smooth that the primer doesn’t ‘key’ to the old paint…

Me, I’d probably just go polish the red and black until it looked like new, then just go ride ..lol

Jules

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@cbrguy78 Could you black out all the chrome/silver/aluminum parts and buy a set of white fairings? Then you coupld swap from the red/black to the white and people would think you had a new bike each time :wink: I’m with @juliet because your bike looks great now! But to each his own, of course it’s not for me to tell you what to do, just brainstorming I guess. I understand because I’m a tweaker myself. Used to install car stereos and alarms and autostarts and all that for fun and I was constantly changing everything out. If you don’t like the red/black maybe you could just sell that set. People are always looking for good fairings after a lay down or other “mishap”

Profile photo of coltonharris13
    coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Its already been said but the prep work is the most time consuming of the whole job. I painted my mid fairings black over the Winter with a rattle can and I think if you do it right there is very little difference than getting it done professionally or with a spray gun. As long as its prepped right youre most likely fine to spray it with a rattle can yourself. Much cheaper also. Just dont rush it, apply many light coats and it it will turn out fine.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I want the white like that too!!

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

bro! I say just wash it really good with some purple power and spray it wqith some matte white plasti dip….it will be thick and durable and look just as good, touch-up will be a BREEZE if anything ever happens, and if you ever decide you dont like it and wanna go back red, you can just peel it straight off…thats clearly your best choice bro..

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@MACtacular Purple Power? And where can I find this matte white plasti dip stuff & is it in an aerosol spray can or will I need to reinvest in a compressor & spray gun, etc… It seems I like the idea of being able to “peel off” the white should I need to!

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Please, don’t listen to MAC … I beseech you!!! His evil vision is to plastikote the whole world we live in, everything and I mean everything will be plastikote … he tells you, hey, it will just peel off, but it won’t, once you go down that route, it’s only the beginning … soon you will be saying, hey what else can I plastikote … do you want the plastikote world he offers, or do you want something beyond plastikote?

MAC, there’s an Ocean between us, you can’t plastikote me *sticks out tongue* ..lol

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Lmao @Juliet That’s funny stuff right there, but he does have a good point! Plastikote then peel it off later… Hmmm…

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

yeah, i dont exactly know what “plastikote” is….but way to deter someone from a good idea jules..I don’t really see your sense of humor…anywho, plasti-dip is AMAZING…and purple power is just a degreasing cleaner I use to clean my bike…it works wonders!

the plasti-dip can be bought in an aerosol can for about $6 per can IF you can find the color you want in a store…theyre about $10 on ebay..it wouldn’t take more than 3 cans to do all your fairings…so its fairly cheap…and again, dont listen to jules, I plasti-dipped my swingarm, my headlights, and my blinkers….I just did the headlights and blinkers for fun, it peeled off FINE….my swingarm is staying dipped black forever! ;) you can find my thread on it…

heres a link to the Plasti-Dip

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

*****all plasti-dip colors are matte unless you spray the plasti-dip clear coat stuff on them

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Just buy new fairings and then you can swap.

http://www.easyfairings.com/09-10-honda-cbr600rr-fairings-15

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yeah…. NOT! Thanks for the link, but those are very expensive fairings. I could buy used fairings off of eBay or whatnot, but honestly I’m trying to save some money here! I’m gonna have to side with @MACtacular on this one & invest in the plasti-dip method! That way it’ll “peel off” when I’ve grown tired of it & want to change the look. Thanks anyway, lol
    shoichirohonda:
    Just buy new fairings and then you can swap.

http://www.easyfairings.com/09-10-honda-cbr600rr-fairings-15

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@MACtacular
    Thanks bro I’ll be getting my stuff together here very shortly! The wife was gonna let me get my “exhaust”, but well, we have discussed this already, lol. So it’ll end up being a late Father’s Day gift basically to myself, lol. Anyways, I’m about to read up on & possibly order some plasti-dip to transform mt bike white & yes I believe that I’d like to have the glossy look so the clear coat will be applied also! Thanks again, saves me from destroying my “sexy” original colors & I’ll peel it off when I feel like I’d need a change! I wonder… What else can I plasti-dip? Wife? Kids? Dog? Tools? I think we should go after @Juliet & plasti-dip her world! We can build a plasti-dip boat & sail the ocean to find her, lol…

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

cbrguy78:
    What else can I plasti-dip? Wife? Kids? Dog? Tools? I think we should go after @Juliet & plasti-dip her world! We can build a plasti-dip boat & sail the ocean to find her, lol…

I’m safely ensconced in a sleepy and tiny English Village that no one even believes exists, let alone can find!! Oh, and um, we have pitch forks and fire!! ..lol ;-)

Jules

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@cbrguy78 plastidipping tools is a lifesaver to tools that dont have grips on them!!! and I agree, I just plasticoated my dog and couch, planning on doing my entire kitchen soon…..I say we find @juliet and plastidip her pitchforks with a nice rubbery coating so we can safely plastidip everything else ;)

but hey, on a serious note..like I said before..if you decide you dont like the plastidip, remove it, and youre only out about $30.

best option hands down.

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@MACtacular
    Yes sir I agree! Plasti dip @Juliet & her pitchforks! Since we will be traversing through the ocean to reach her then we will obviously have water available to put out her fires, lmao… We can throw her attack dogs bones coated in plasti dip & they love us, lol. But seriously, yeah I think I’m about to order the Matte White & Glossifier also! The Glossifier is a little costly, but will add the shine I’d like to achieve & provides extra protection to the plasti dip itself! I found it on eBay & it’s basically the same as anywhere else so since I already have my handy eBay iPhone app with my PayPal set up I’ll just go that route! Thanks for the info & help @MACtacular …… I can see clearly now cuz it’s a plasti dip world, I see all of my troubles coated away…. It’s gonna be a bright, bright, bright, bright & shiny white plasti dip day….. Lmao

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

personally, i think the matte white would be super fuckin kickass boss man….lol…I wanna get a 2012 camaro and plasti dip it either matte white or matte black… ;)

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

cbrguy78:
    @MACtacular
    I can see clearly now cuz it’s a plasti dip world, I see all of my troubles coated away…. It’s gonna be a bright, bright, bright, bright & shiny white plasti dip day….. Lmao

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@mactacular here is some plasti pinstriping…

cbrguy78
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Juliet
    I’m not sure what video you posted, but I can imagine its the correct version of the song I was imitating which yes, @MACtacular & I well know that plasti dip is not mentioned anywhere in the song… But it does have such a nice ring to it, does it not? BooM, lol

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@spdygak I cant wait to get my camaro dude….I decided on a camaro over a corvette…lol…I want it SO BAD…im gonna plasti-dip it, I just dont know if I wanna get a white or black one and plasti-dip it the opposite color ;) in matte!

ill probs go with a black camaro and plasti-dip it white…lol

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@juliet “Life in plastic… It’s fantastic” hahaha classic!! The younglings won’t get it.

@mactacular for you sir

@cbrguy78 did you watch all the plasti dip videos I posted?

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

ive been thinking about plastidipping my hands to commit crimes…no one would ever know……….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.