Need some email help and advice!!

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Need some email help and advice!!

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of captainslow captainslow 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I just went into my email at yahoo and I noticed there were three ‘drafts’ ready to send to three of my contacts … I never wrote them and they have the subject heading ‘Hi’ and the below message…

‘wow this is awesome give it a look
    http://www.businesssabonews15.net/jobs/?finance=79066

Then I went into my sent box and found a couple of these messages have already gone off and are in my sent box. How does this happen … I’ve heard of people spoofing my email to make it look like it came from me but these emails are actually in my mailbox and ready to go, two have already gone.

Can I fix this, what do I do … do I need a new email address??

Jules

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Get off of yahoo. Use gmail at a minimum. Yahoo sucks and is terrible at security of email accounts.

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Oh dammit, I liked yahoo mail too and I have so many contacts and things set up in there … it really sucks because this happened before and I actually lost friends over it all. I tried to explain it wasn’t me, you think they’d be reasonable and understand but they weren’t convinced and said I sent them threats and all sorts of bogus stuff.

Has someone got my password or are they in by some other means?? … a friend of mine got threatened by me from my email but when I checked my sent box there was no such threat from me sent from my email. This is different though, these links with the subject heading ‘Hi’ are actually in my mailbox and seem to be going off on ‘auto’ ?? Halp!!

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

trash your POS yahoo account…get gmail…problem solved!

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@juliet if you make a gmail account, you can sync it with your yahoo account and EVERYTHING Will transfer over…all yoru contacts, all your emails..EVERYTHING..address books..the works…

gmail is ALOT easier to use! its so much better than old ass YAHOO!

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

+1 on @mactacular ‘s statements

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Thank you @MACtacular … I never knew all that, my last yahoo account went awry too and I spent ages copying all my contacts and precious emails over and a ton of other stuff too. I then have to change all my forum emails too as all the forums I frequent even my photography forums are all on this yahoo account, dammit what a pain all over again ..lol

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I got this the other morning too … I was in bed asleep when this suspicious login occured??

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Change your yahoo password. Make sure its 7+ characters long and has atleast 2 capital letters, 2 numbers and 2 special characters. Problem solved. If you did it right it will take 900+ years to be cracked. See for yourself here http://howsecureismypassword.net/

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

switch to gmail..sure itll be a slight pain in the ass, but its TOTALLY Worth it!!! you can have all emails sent to the old email account forwarded to your new one…lol..

theres definitely tips and tricks to make everything easier when switching…youre gonna love GMAIL!

Profile photo of seahorsesylv
    seahorsesylv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I’m with the boys and suggest using gmail. Its great and really easy to use. Plus then we can chat on it too! lol :lol:

Profile photo of anubisphoenix00
    anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@Juliet Hey just a quick tip about Gmail that I’ve been using is that Google has an extra layer of protection with your account. You have to activate it but essentially it’s a two tier authentication method where after you input your userId and pass you also will need to input a authentication code which you receive by your mobile or other electronic means. Give it a try it’s another layer of safety.

Profile photo of woo545
    woo545
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Definitely make the move. Furthermore, email ALL of your contacts immediately and inform them that your email account has been compromised and warn them that they may receive emails not created by you.

Profile photo of speedynas
    speedynas
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

As an IT person I can say it’s not so much about who you have your service with but more or so how you use your email account, how good your password is and how well you keep up with Windows updates and Antivirus/Antispyware apps.

In agreement with others above Gmail, hands down, is one of if not the best out there. Yahoo never allowed me to click on a PDF file someone sent then opened it in another tab so I can edit it or convert it to a Word DOC. Nope…

Nine times out of ten users that get infected have poor security software (or none) and the password was obtained by a keylogger on your machine, not the email companies security being lackluster.

Do a Google (heehee) search for Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Avast. OR just head over to Filehippo.com. Fantastic place to get all the great software. Never download from CNET or any of it’s partner sites.

On Filehippo.com look for HiJackThis. Install it and run it when finished. Click the option to do a system scan and save the log file. Upload it to a file sharing site (Dropbox, 4Shared etc…) and send me a link to it.

One of the best tips I can give anyone is no matter how clean you THINK your machine is do the following when you are ready to scan.

1) LEARN about booting Windows into “Safe Mode” and “Safe Mode With Networking”.

2) Run ALL of your Antivirus/AntiSpyware apps in Safe Mode. NEVER in normal mode as your could would normally run.

3) Use a program like CCleaner or CleanUp! which are on the site mentioned earlier.

4) Absolutely make it a habit to read the options when installing a program. Don’t just hit
    Next
    Next
    I Agree
    Yes
    Next

cause you will miss things like
    Next
    Install ***** Toolbar of Wiggily Fun
    Install 3D Dancer of this Naked Russian mail order bride
    Install the @MACtacular Search Bar that comes free with all the AlbinoDonkeyCock you can handle.

See what I mean? You don’t want that stuff…trust me.

EDIT *
    Also I’d like to add ONE more thing. And to ME this is very important. Don’t just have one email account. Heck they are free right? So have multiple.
    I have 6 Gmail accounts, 3 Yahoo, 2 Windows Live and 1 AOL.

The Gmails are the main ones I used daily. The others are for when I first got into IT and fixed computers for people that I met. If a customer called asking how to do something in their email like attach multiple pics or set a vacation message I would log into one of mine and walk them through it.

So I have one Gmail account STRICKLY for forums like this one.
    Another is used for financial sites like Wells Fargo, my credit card, Amazon, NewEgg and so on and so forth.
    Also I have one used for social sites such as Twitter, Facebook… then I have another account which I ONLY use to sign up for random events or websites. Then finally I have my personal account that is only used at the top of my resume and a few other things.

So if one account gets hacked I can just delete it or move on and start a new one. Gmail allows you, as does Yahoo, to export your contacts. Every few months it’s good to do this if you add a lot of people. Gmail also has an option if you so chose to enable it where it will add someone to your contact list if you compose a message and send it to them. Also any good web based email client should have an option, if not standard, to only allow logins when you point your browser to https instead of http. Finally if you are using Internet Explorer GET RID OF IT. Unfortunately you can’t delete it because it’s part of the operating system but you can delete the icon and forget about it.

Install Firefox then go to their “Addons” section and install “Adblock Plus” and if you get RREEAALLYY paranoid you can install “NoScript” but if you aren’t a very patient or resourceful person it can be a MAJOR headache. It basically blocks any websites actions in the background until you enable it. So if you go to a site that starts playing music or auto loads a video it will block it until you allow it. I’ve been using it for many years now and can’t function properly without it but it takes a bit of getting used to (especially when you’re filling out info to create a profile on a webpage, make a purchase or register and you get to the bottom and click “Submit” or “Go” or “Next” and you see that the page won’t go anywhere because you forgot to “Allow” that site or a script(s) that runs on it. Once you do allow it it will refresh and you have to fill everything out all over again. :-P )

Seriously I didn’t mean for this to be so long. I’m just really bored and truly hoped I can help you or anyone else out there reading this.

By the way. You’ve been llama’d

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

hey hey now, lets keep my donkey cock out of this conversation @speedynas !!!

lol…

Profile photo of hoosier1104
    hoosier1104
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I recommend a min 10 character alpha numeric. Mine is 20 characters long but the increases the number of possibilities to around 2.5 million combinations.

speedynas
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

hoosier1104:
    I recommend a min 10 character alpha numeric.Mine is 20 characters long but the increases the number of possibilities to around 2.5 million combinations.

Not only alphanumeric but special characters as well.

hGRtyfewsDsAwlkoIiIbNgfctfgHNjgf67gghfrtGHJHFjhnh5y856

is nowhere near as strong as

Pa$$w0rd

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I like using @8#!hd& or something.. much more secure than any word combinations.

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Firstly, thank you to everyone for your input, especially @speedynas as that was a mega post and full of great advice … I downloaded and ran that ‘Hijackthis’ program but everytime I tried to run it I got a message flagging up saying ‘hijackthis’ has been denied system access and a few other strange messages saying something about a hijacked hosts file. All completely beyond me and so I got my sister down to wipe and re-install the whole computer, she did my laptops last week but the main computer still needed doing.

I changed my yahoo password to a very, very secure one … I have even had to write it down it’s so complex and long ..lol

During the next week or two I will migrate over completely to a new Gmail account and replace all my various forum emails with that new account.

Jules

speedynas
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@Juliet it definitely seems there was some funkiness going on in the background. Your ‘host’ file is located under [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] and can be safely deleted as once you reboot the computer and log into Windows it will recreate a new one. There were probably items in there that were directing your computer to connect to certain websites in the background without you knowing. The UK is known (as well as US and China) for having this problem with hackers. It sucks, they are lame but yet the world still turns.
    I hope you gave your sister a big hug for helping you out.

One question and feel free to PM me about this but what do you use your Windows computer for mainly? If it’s MAINLY for surfing the net, sending email and uploading your occasional videos you might consider a move to Linux. It’s free and spyware doesn’t affect it. I’m actually on my Linux machine right now. I gave up Windows many years ago. I have one machine left and it’s my gaming rig. When I’m not playing a game that thing gets turned off. I’m either on my MacBook Pro or a Linux/Unix box.

Either way I’m VERY happy you got the problem resolved!!! Enjoy your evening.

Profile photo of woo545
    woo545
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

No matter how much protection she has on her computer, it will not prevent social engineering holes.

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

@speedynas
    Thank you again, the first few times I ran the ‘Hijackthis’ program it kept falling over on the ‘access denied to hosts file’ ?? or something similar. I didn’t know what that meant so I clicked on ‘ok’ or cancel to continue and then it seemed to write a couple more lines of code in the list/text box before saying ‘system access denied’ and told me to try and reboot my machine, which I did but it just went through the same cycles again and again. When I phoned my sister she just said her usual, she’ll wipe it and start again being the only safe way. She says she doesn’t like spending too much time trying to eradicate virus or software corruption, saying it’s often quicker, easier and safer to just wipe and re-install. That way you are sure you have got a clean system. Luckily I now save everything to an external hard drive I bought a while ago and I always back up to that now. All my photography is backed up onto the external hard drive. I lost too many pictures in the past and have learned my lesson. This means it’s easy to clean my computer without saving everything first … I always let my sister re-install because she does other stuff with some discs she has that do low level wipes to the drive, something about a full overwrite with ‘1s’ and ‘0s’ ??

As for linux I would not have a clue where to start or how to get it on my PC … I have only ever used windows and am comfortable and familiar with it’s interface. I use my computer for email, web surfing and Microsoft Office … I also have a few programs that came with my DSLR and smart phone which run under windows and that I’m familiar with using. Next thing I want to buy is a full version of Photoshop so I can actually start playing with the images I take with my camera, as they’re always just straight from the camera, apart from a resize for photobucket etc.

Jules

Profile photo of hoosier1104
    hoosier1104
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@speedynas

Thanks for that file directory. I looked it up on my work computer and sure as sugar I had stuff in there. Deleted it all.

Profile photo of woo545
    woo545
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Juliet: She says she doesn’t like spending too much time trying to eradicate virus or software corruption, saying it’s often quicker, easier and safer to just wipe and re-install.

This is why I love your sis!

Profile photo of cbrclassic
    cbrclassic
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yer , Hard drives can be just like bad relationships sometimes?? and dealt with allot easier by just wiping the buggers off !!! ….and starting again !!! lolol

Profile photo of captainslow
    captainslow
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

woo545: This is why I love your sis!

haha sounds like you know claire?
    i tell you she scares me much more than jules ever has and that’s saying something. put it this way she doesn’t suffer fools gladly and i reckon i’m dead if she ever reads this post.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.