new battery

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of shoichirohonda shoichirohonda 5 years ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of skydynamics
    skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I can’t believe this but i think i need a new battery for my 09 600rr. if i let it sit for a day it won’t start unless i use a cable jump from a car. today i did that and rode for 20 mins then stopped to get gas. afterward it won’t start again. any suggestion on which battery to get? from honda dealer? or just aftermarket one from auto zone etc. thanks

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I have read great things about motydesign. Its smaller and lighter. Check it out
    Motydesign

Profile photo of anubisphoenix00
    anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@skydynamics I’m in the same boat with you ’09 let my battery sit during the winter I jumped it this past Apr and I went for an hour ride with a buddy, we stopped for a breather and went to restart battery needed to be jumped. Long story short I just purchased the Ballistic 8 cell EVO2 battery. The OEM lead-acid is good if you’re maintaining it with a tender if not riding for more than 2 weeks in between rides. @ATX600rr recommended a good battery as well. The MotyDesign is similar to the ballistic I just purchased just make sure you get an 8Cell Lithium-Ion battery if you go that route.

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I suggest getting the battery,regulator/rectifier, and stator tested. Becuase one or a combination could be the problem instead of just the battery. I know due to i had the same problem but it was my r/r and battery. My battery died because by r/r was bad so it killed it but didnt find out battery was dead till new r/r was put in.

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@bacaboy69 whats the best way to test the r/r and stator?

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Get a multi meter and test them out. I think there is some how-tos on google.

skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@anubisphoenix00 where did u get the ballistic 8 cell from? @atx600rr motydesign as well? how’s the shipping on these two? i don’t want to wait forever to get the battery. imma try to test the r/r and stator out like @bacaboy69 mentioned. thanks all.

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I don’t own a motydesign yet but I did some research on .net and google when I thought my battery was about to crap out on me. So I have no idea about shipping.

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@skydynamics i got the battery from sportbiketrack.com and it’s $159.99 and it was from shipping. I would also suggest u get the ballisitc balancing charger thats also on the site since it allows for balancing the cells of the battery, more optimal charging and battery. Ok since you’re going to test the startor and r/r i would like to share the ’07-’08 cbr600rr service manual i have in pdf but its a large file notvsure how i can share it

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I believe there are links to our service manual’s on the home page. He should be able to download it following that link.

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I rechecked the service manual section and someone recently added a link in the comments for and ’08 600rr…quick question though, is the oem r/r very faulty? And what will be the best replacment if the oem component is faulty?

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

do you know how to push start your bike man??? put it in second gear with the ignition on…hold the clutch in and get it rolling at about 10-15 mph while sitting on it, down a hill, pushing it on flat ground, whatever…then pop the clutch and it will crank right up…

just a little useful in case you didnt know…

skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

no but now i do lol. thanks @mactacular

@anubisphoenix00 thanks. i saw the link

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

glad I could help!!!! I would try it if I were you asap just for the hell of it…let me know how it works bro! I had to start my bike like that every time for the first day I had it because the battery it came with was complete shit…haha

skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

i would but there’s a small problem, thunder storm lol.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

haha wait for dry roads!! I dont think id wanna do it when its wet!

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I used to be an active member on cbrworld.net They have an awsome tutorial section that is very complete, wih step by step write ups and lots of pictures. I have acttualy used the one for the reg.rec and the one for stator a couple times. Their forum went dead and a lot of the reg. members moved on…..But the tutorials are def. top notch and still there.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I heard that batteries performance is worse as it starts to get hotter so maybe your battery was just barely making it and now that it’s warming up it fawked off

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@skydynamics I got a good battery. pm me if you your interested.

skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thanks all. Got a new battery and it’s all fixed. Nice weather today. Can’t wait to ride.

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I just wanted to put this out there for future reference, the 8cell ballistic battery is a good battery plenty of juice to start a cbr600rr. One issue the battery is a tad taller than the oem lead weight. Right now i have the battery installed like u would the oem but u cannot use the positive lead cover because it does not allow the seat to lay on top of the battery easily. It takes a little effort to put the seat back inplace but i checked the battery and the leads and there is no issues with the seat touching the battery. So if anyone does go the ballistic recommend getting the quick disconnect and the extended cables because the length of the quick disconnect are not long enough to freely tuck the battery leads lower in the tray

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@anubisphoenix00 thanks for heads-up on the EVO2 Ballistic 8 cell sizing.

Any updates later on as to performance would be welcomed and appreciated.

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@shoichirohonda sure thing i’ll be posting up a review of the battery and my opinion in a new post down the line as i put more seat time with the battery

shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@ anubisphoenix00

Would like to know what the actual dimensions of the battery are.
    Wondering if the listed dimensions include that nub on the top along with the posts?

….or is the company not including this data accurately for some nefarious reasons…

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@shoichirohonda i measured the height of the stock battery, and the ballistic battery the data is provided below.

Stock height = 3 10/16″
    Evo2 8cell deck not counting nub = 3 11/16″
    Evo2 8cell counting nub and terminal installed = 4 7/16″
    Ballistic performane site claims = 4 1/4″

Yea so judging tyhe battery ballistic measured the height with the nub

Profile photo of coltonharris13
    coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

My battery went out 2 years in a row after sitting all winter. Bought one after the first time. Second time I contacted Yuasa (thats the stock battery that came in my bike, and the one I bought the first time) and said basically I was fed up. They sent me a brand new battery, no questions asked, didnt even ask for proof I had one. Shipped it out and its been working perfectly for two years now. Hasnt died once. Thought Id share haha

shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@anubisphoenix00 Thanks, I’ll feel better about ordering one.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.