Oil Changes — How many miles? Or just once per season?

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Oil Changes — How many miles? Or just once per season?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of thirdgenlxi thirdgenlxi 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Do you guys change your oil once per season (at the beginning obviously).. Or do you change it multiple times?

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Well, for me I will change quite a few times a year, First off I ride in CA so I ride year round even in the rain if it’s not to bad. I try and change every 3 to 4 thousands and I put about 15,000 a year on my bikes

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I do every 3,000 miles and once at the start of each season, was just wondering if this is the norm.

Thanks!

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

~4,000 is a reasonable mileage to change the oil.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Anyone use the Honda oil? What’s your brand preference?

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

i just did my second oil change (on my own) yesterday. Paid $100 for the shop to do it twice and I said enough of that! I change it every 3000 and I too get to ride all year here on the Gulf Coast. I used the Honda oil which was cheaper than most of the “motorcycle” oils but I read a lot of people are using the Shell Rotella full synthetic (Walmart about $15-20/Gal).

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Haha, it is ridiculous how much shops take to change the oil on a bike, or a car for that matter. It is so easy to do yourself, especially when we have a thing called “the internet” for our disposal.

broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yep i use Honda oil too.
    2 reasons,
    1st, it comes in a big easy to use container
    2nd, and most important, It give me an excuse to go see all the new shinny bikes… :mrgreen:

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I change mine at the begining of each season and around every 3-4k after that with mobil one. Although I’m gonna try the rotella t next time. As for filters, I just use whatever I can get my hands on since I change it everytime with the oil change.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

What filter do you guys recommend?

broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I use the honda filter, I can’t see spending the extra cash on a fancy one.. I put 18K miles with at least 6 or 7 changes on my old rr and never had a problem

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Many people will swear by OEM (600rr.net). But since I ride street I just use whats available in my area. Currently I have K&N and its working just fine. Next time I try something different. IMHO it dosent matter as long as you change it with the oil.

broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I agree with ATX600rr

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Sound reasonable. Thanks guys.

Profile photo of 09redblackrr
    09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

On a brand new 0mil bike when should i change oil for first time?

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Check your owners man or call the stealership. IMO the first oil change is the most important as you wanna get those break in metal shavings out.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

There is an article on the front page here where you can get a copy of the owners manual of your bike if you do not have it.

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Let me say first ***I have NEVER owned a new bike*** but i would change it after the first 100 miles because that is when most of the metal will be in the oil….after that i would let it go till 500 and then do another at 1500….use petroleum based not synthetic oil because it helps the seals after all that jazz you can go to a normal synthetic…..breaks engines in the best

Profile photo of kpru
    kpru
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I change my oil at the beginning of each season then maybe one more time depending on how much I ride but always use full synthetic.

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

the previos was just for the brand new bikes….synthetic here as well and due to living in florida the only down time is when it rains, always nice to have that option so for me every 2.5-3k miles depending on how she is running

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Y’all are just wasting money.. Synthetic oil today is much more advance and so are the vehicles the occupy.. Bikes can go 6-8k miles on the street without an oil change and need to be changed after every track run
    Companies are telling people to change their oil every 3-5k miles but the truth is they are really just scamming people
    A car for instance, will be told to change oil every 3k miles but of you read the owners manual it will say anywhere between 10-16k miles… Bikes are the same in the fact that you’re just being scammed

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

On my car I go by the heads up display. It’s around 6-7k. On my bike I go around 3-4k because it revs much higher than my car and the oil lubes the clutch too.

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

my friend uses Amsoil and he doesnt change till 11k or 1 year. Amsoil says its good for 25k but i wouldnt push it that far. I say it is an overall better oil made my bike run better and gear change alot smooth. Everyones opinion in oil change is diffrent.

Profile photo of nico
    nico
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@09RedBlackRR

Make sure you don’t change it until the manufactures recommended miles. The oil that goes in there from factory is more often than not a single viscosity oil. All that metal that gets into the oil is expected, and it’s not a problem for the bike… it is after all why you have a filter.

Not to mention if you do it at the wrong time the dealer may void your warranty.

Profile photo of fahren
    fahren
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I use semi synth oil from a local dealer Yamalube, change oil every 6 to 8k and oil filter every 12k, airfilter once a year, plugs roughly 6 to 8k no Honda dealers near me :(

Profile photo of rrider
    rrider
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I change mine every 3000 to 4000 miles with Castrol full synthetic. About$9.99 to $12.99.

Profile photo of poppy828
    poppy828
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Amsoil is where it’s at. Been using it since 1989 with no engine failures. I ride and race hard. Use it for new bikes, new motors and anything in between. I currently use the 20-50 with Zinc in my bikes. Shifting is superb, bike runs cooler and I change it out at double the manufacturers recommendation. I also use the Amsoil oil filter.

The 25k change mnetioned in a previous post is on the car oil, not the bike oil as an FYI.

Profile photo of rpm1128
    rpm1128
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

i change my oil about every 3k to 4k. it is true that synthetic oil doesn’t break down like reg oil but it dose pick up any metal break down and carbon. so if you are running a good oil and a cheap filter 8k is not a good idea. and doing an oil change every 4k is cheaper then a rebuild so i say change it! im running honda synthetic with a k&n filter ( filter choice is based on the sweet box wrench end). any body using an additive to store there bikes over the winter in cold climate states? in oil ? gas?

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Haven’t ever changed my oil on my bike seeing as i havent had either one long enough to do so but I was wondering what weight oil do i put into the engine? basicly what exactly do I look for when I go to the store?

We only have riding season for about 3-5 months and maybe a bit more if we get lucky so I think once a year would be fine for me.

Profile photo of rpm1128
    rpm1128
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

10w 30 motorcycle oil is what you need. about 3.3 quarts . if you have around 3k or more on the bike i would go with full synthetic. honda oil is great but the mobile motorcycle oil you can get at most auto parts stores is fine too. 10w30 or 10w40 will be fine but dont use automotive oil.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.