Old coins

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bambam bambam 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I know that some of you are into old coins, so I thought I would share some of what I dug up.

I have a box of these Indian head pennies and a few steel pennies (they needed the copper for bullets in WWII, so pennies were made from steel for a few years):

Some buffalo nickels and early half dollars:

Dollar and quarter:
    Front

Back

Some late 1800s and early 1900s foreign coins:

I wonder if this is still “good for one fare” as stated on the back?

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Alright brother , now that is a kick ass find! im diggin every single coin. Second pic down looks to be a Liberty Walking half dollar , a very trick coin!a $10 find in good to fine condition, (i wouldnt sell it tho) and the buffalo nickels are my personal favorites, just cool as hell. As for the steel pennies, your right , it marks a time of real patriotism when we at all cost put a side metals for the war. And with our efforts we won. Third picture down , a 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter, very cool coin , about $20 in its condition(wouldn’t sell tho) BUT! can figure out what the “H” stamp in it is?? very interesting coin bud. Worth the research just find out about the H. Now for the Star of the show (in my book) is the 1878 Trade dollar , here is where shit gets real , this coin could be a fortune depending on stamps and details , this little dood could be worth tween $100 to $2000 dollars. I just know the basics but a real coin guru could tell you more, but i really dig that coin demon , again , fantastic find. As for the foriegn coins , thats were things can get crazy , you could dig for weeks trying to find all the facts on those , but i like the balboa coin , that is a coin from Panama. The 1927 Liberty coin interest me , i can quite place it , took a quick google look and didnt recognize it, worth a deeper look for sure. Not sure but the Seattle transit coin could be something more than it seems too, ill give it a cool factor 100. Wish i knew more about most of these but Brother , i will say that is one kick ass find. Im sure fishfryer will be some help , hes recognized several old coins ive come across. Well done Demon and thanks for the share, I live for shit like this.

BTW- I wouldnt part with a single coin , its an instant start to a cool collection. Sorry about your new addiction, there is no cure but to find new coins. you will look at your change for gems from here on…

edited: 4 imported beers makes gibberish

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’ve been collecting coins lightly since I was a kid. At one time I had every penny back to 1909. Haven’t seen those books in years, but I’m sure my mom has them packed away somewhere. Since then, I’ve managed to come across some foreign stuff and some not so rare silver coins and wheat cents. I just save the old ones…

Did some research on the trade dollars history. When it was minted, the government had stopped considering them currency, until 1965. The story about their use overseas, silver content, and minting is pretty confusing. I will need to read about it again and try to make sense of it.

As for the quarter, the H was not put there when it was minted. It must have been stamped by someone for some reason. I did find pictures of others that were stamped with names and such, so I’m guessing that it was marked for use at a certain place or because it came from there. It could be a counting stamp of some kind.

Not that I would sell any of them.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I thot i would did out some old Coin Reference books for ya , and the Newest one i have is now 14 years old.. i guess thats not gonna be accurate anymore. lol

My old man gave me half of his collection(my lil bro got the other half) and ive got a huge set of proofs, all sealed from the mint, going back 30-40 years atleast. Ill have to dig them out for a look and some pics.

I agree , i wouldnt part with any of those coins.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I thot i would did out some old Coin Reference books for ya , and the Newest one i have is now 14 years old.. i guess thats not gonna be accurate anymore. lol

My old man gave me half of his collection(my lil bro got the other half) and ive got a huge set of proofs, all sealed from the mint, going back 30-40 years atleast. Ill have to dig them out for a look and some pics.

I agree , i wouldnt part with any of those coins.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

And I found some more hidden inside an old jewelry box, inside an old suitcase, and under a bunch of stuff my Grandfather used to sell….

There are a bunch of silver dollars from the late 1800 and some from the early 1920s, some half dollars, a few more foreign coins, and an envelope full of more Indian pennies from around 1900.
    I’ll get pics this weekend.

Good thing I looked. This stuff was a week away from getting cleared out from my Grandparents house that’s now vacant.

Profile photo of fishfryer
    fishfryer
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Nice collection. Most old coins are really worth what hope for, but sometimes that’s better. If they are worth a lot, we’d probably sell them for some crap that is definitely worthless.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Some coins are worth a ton, but not these. I looked up the value of a few of them online and found them to be in the $30-$60 range. I see some collector sites selling them, or trying to, for thousands. Something isn’t right there…

I didn’t get any pics yet, but there are some Morgan dollars in there as well as peace dollars. There are a few that are basically just silver coins and even few that are not even that. I haven’t gone through every penny to see if there is something really rare.

I doubt I will find anything to cash in and retire on, but they are neat to keep and think how many generations of my family have kept these coins, most having died before I was born. They thought to save them, and now it’s my turn. I let the 10 year old daughter on a friend hold a 125 year old silver coin and her face lit up and you could see her trying to grasp how old it is. To a 10 year old, 125 years is like dinosaur times…. lol

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Another sweet find. you got a pretty awesome collection going there brother.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.